When my car had done 119,000 miles the clutch judder got real bad, so I had a new 7 plate clutch fitted at great expense. All good for a few thousand miles, then the dreaded judder started to come back - just like a misfire; at low revs, when under load etc, etc (no fault codes or engine warning light). So I thought it was the gearbox again. Grasping at straws I bought some cheap fuel additive. It seemed to make a slight difference. Thinking it was just my over optimistic imagination I went and bought the most expensive (£16.95) fuel additive I could find and put that in the tank.

The symptoms gradually disappeared and the car started to perform so much better. Now there is no hint of any problem and the car goes like it should.

I know some people think that fuel additives don't do anything, but it certainly fixed my problem. And I can assure you that the symptoms of these 2 problems (the gearbox and the fuel system issue) felt identical at the beginning, except of course that the clutch problem got much worse.

Don't always blame the gearbox just because its a multitronic...............