Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Can a Runaway Engine be Repaired?

1. Can a Runaway Engine be Repaired? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I hope someone out there can offer some advice, Driving to work on Tuesday 30/09/14, my exhaust starting blowing loads of bluish smoke and I was only about a 3/4 of a mile from work so decided to nurse the car to work and call the AA

The AA got there only an hour after I called them and checked over the engine and checked the engine oil which was very low (only barely registering on the dipstick), the AA guy filled the car with oil to the correct level and asked me to start the car while he stood at the back, as soon as I started the engine he shouted me to turn it off.

Just as I suspected the diagnosis was the turbo had gone and under no circumstance that the car is started until the turbo is replaced, so he stuck a massive sticker over the steering wheel which said in big letters something like do not start the engine blablabla, he also said that I was very lucky I could have damaged the engine if I drove it further, he towed me to my local garage.

Later on that day I had a call from the garage saying that their diagnosis is the turbo and would I like to get them to quote me for the repair, I had decided to go ahead with the repair as I had a lot of things done to the car and I knew that it wouldn't need much after this (I was hoping), the work done this year on the car was replace the dual mass flywheel with a single flywheel, new brake discs and shoes all around, timing belt kit with water pump, new tyres, new from driver window electric mechanism, front nearside wheel bearing, I am sure other stuff but can't recall.

I had the quote back from the garage, which was £550.00 for turbo and 40.00 for oil change and filter excluding VAT, I agreed to the repair, they estimated that the car would be ready on Wednesday 01/10/2014 PM, later on they called me and said that the turbo feed pipe had sheared off and needed a new one at 30.00 + VAT, I had agreed to this as I had fitted a turbo myself previously and knew that these pipes get corroded solid and could break very easily while removing.

I had a call later in the afternoon informing me that the car was ready, it was taken for a test drive and is all good, I agreed to collect the car before they closed at 17:00 Hrs, I had a lift from a mate at work and paid and collected the car, on my way back to work about 500 meters from the garage a plume of bluish smoke was bellowing from the exhaust yet again, the same as previously, loads of it, so I decided to take the car back to the garage, I drove it very gently accelerating only when I had to and coasting.

When I got to the Garage I immediately turned the ignition off, the garage of course was closed at this time, so I called the owner on his mobile whom told me that this was normal after a turbo repair and the car would be smoking for at least a couple of months, taking his advice (as he was the expert), I jumped back in the car and started for work smoke bellowing, people staring in disbelief, a woman pedestrian had even waved to me pointing to the back of the car as if I wasn't aware of it.

Barely a mile from the garage and the car started revving very high with loads of smoke coming out of the exhaust, I put the clutch down as well as breaking to stop the car, the car cut off and I rolled to a house driveway, I went and knocked on the door and apologised for blocking the house driveway and told him that I would be calling the AA to come and tow me, the house owner said that this is ok as they weren't going out and asked whether I needed a phone to call the AA, I thanked him informing him that I had a mobile phone and would be calling straight away.

The AA turned up just before 20:00 Hrs, towed me back to the garage at my request, then drove me to where I had broken down, I walked to work and got a lift home, the time was after 21:30 Hrs, I was hungry and very tired by this time.

On the Wednesday morning I borrowed a car from work and took my keys back to the garage, after a longish conversation they had said they will look at the car and call me later.

I called the garage to find out on the progress and was told that the car started and is running and they'll make further diagnosis and let me know the outcome, I called again later during the afternoon and was told the car wouldn't start and they're performing further tests to find the fault.

Today I had a call saying that they've changed the fuel filter and the glow plugs and where did I want to take it from here, I made it quite clear saying that I was not prepared to pay any more money as the fault was theirs as the turbo wasn't correctly fitted in the first place, the guy said that the car was running but they think that one of the injectors was blocked and would like to change it would I pay half for the injector, I had agreed to this as the only thing I want is get the car back on the road.

Well the garage will have the car until Monday PM, where they will call me with the progress, by Monday 06/10/14, I would have to return the pool car to work and would either find a lift home, hire a car or walk if the car is not repaired.

I had a wedding to go to this week end and ended up cancelling and not bothering to go as I am not in a good spirit to be with people.

My question is, can a runaway engine be repaired, of course this depends on the extent of damage that has been caused to the engine and I fear for the worse, in my mind a new engine for sure but have no cash left to pay for another engine, I personally think that the garage should repair that car at their cost even if this means they need to get a refurb engine.

I am pondering over getting the Ombudsman Services, trading standard or my solicitor involved over this and would like some advice, apologies for the long post, this will serve as a memory jogger if/when I need to take this further.
    Last edited by nbat58; 03-10-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Adding spacing

0 0 0

2. Re: Can a Runaway Engine be Repaired? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Usually when the engine runaway the rods tend to bend hence your garage chasing a shuddering engine as a fuel misfire when in fact there are a couple of rods that will need replacing before they let go with a bang and exit trough the side of the block ! What happened the oil that was in the intercooler got sucked in the engine and used as fuel, however there is only so much oil that can be ingested at one time and if too much the rod will bend. I will suggest your garage to do a compression test before condemning the fuel system, they clearly have no clue !

1 0 0

3. Re: Can a Runaway Engine be Repaired? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    to add to what adams has said, the oil feed pipe should always be replaced anyway when a turbo is fitted. 550 is far too cheap for a turbo supplied ad fitted, and no, they have only done half a job instead of a full job, including cleaning of inercooler and exhaust. the exhaust would have been filled with oil and thats why it smoked so much. to be honest, my though is that the new turbo is of inferior quality and this is why it is over revving.rather than the intercooler being full.only a proper check will confirm.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

2 0 0

4. Re: Can a Runaway Engine be Repaired? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What a joke, today I phoned the garage and they are saying now that I need a new engine at £300.00, the only thing I wanted is get my car on the road, now a week on and still without a car, they've asked me to go down and see them so we could discuss it, how I am suppose to do that if I haven't got a car? I will try and get a lift to go down and sort this mess out tomorrow.

0 0 0