Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Polo central locking, OK on passenger door or inside button but not Drivers door?

1. Polo central locking, OK on passenger door or inside button but not Drivers door? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bought an 04 Polo, as per title central locking is not working on the drivers door. (Though the drivers door still actually locks OK if the doors are locked from the passenger side)

Rather than set of on an endless investigation mission guessing at how to fix it myself, I wondered if anyone knows what to do? First places to check?

If it's not a simple surface problem/easy fix I might look at adding remote locking as part of the fixing process. Though I would much prefer if I only had to change a fuse!

Thanks in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: Polo central locking, OK on passenger door or inside button but not Drivers door? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    I'm afraid it's not going to be as simple as replacing a blown fuse. I'd start by having a look at the wiring between the driver's door and the car body.

The wiring routes through a rubber tubing between the A pillar and the door. You could carefully remove the tubing at the A pillar. The tubing fits onto a plastic frame. Don't try and pry it off with a screwdriver because you'll almost certainly damage the plastic part and you'll not be able to reseal the wiring. If you grip the rubber right up at the A pillar between your thumb and fore finger you should be able to lift the tubing off the frame. Now slip it back down the wiring loom towards the door and check for any broken wires. If you find that the rubber tubing is already adrift at the A pillar because someone has already broken the plastic frame, you'll probably find that water has gotten into the connectors inside the A pillar. That could also cause your problem.

When you come to refit the rubber tubing, give it a good spray with some silicone lubricant (AKA furniture polish / back to black). That will help slip the rubber back over the plastic frame.

Regards.

jim.

0 0 0

3. Re: Polo central locking, OK on passenger door or inside button but not Drivers door? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Jim. Appreciated. I'll give that a go.

No doubt I'll be back for more advice!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not had chance to investigate yet, but just found that it DOES work sometimes!

At one point it wouldn't unlock but for a spell it would lock every time. Then that stopped.

Could it be something in the lock barrel itself? Or does that sound like your door wires?

0 0 0

5. Re: Polo central locking, OK on passenger door or inside button but not Drivers door? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Sorry for not replying sooner. I may have misunderstood your fault. Is the key rotating freely in the barrel?
    The barrel itself doesn't have any electrical connections. It's a mechanical linkage that links the barrel to the lock latch/actuator. The lock/unlock switch is inside the actuator.
    If the key isn't rotating in the barrel then that's a mechanical issue. If the key is free to rotate then it would more likely be an electrical issue.

Jim.

0 0 0

6. Re: Polo central locking, OK on passenger door or inside button but not Drivers door? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with Flash2 I have a 2003 polo and had exactly the same problem i.e I could only open/lock it from the passenger side front door. In my case I could put the key in the drivers lock but it wouldn't turn. I ended up replacing the whole lock as the barrel was well seized. With the new lock it works first time very time, only minor issue is that I now have 2 keys for the car but that is a lot better than having to unlock the passenger door every time. The locks are available on Ebay if you need them

0 0 0