Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Help! – thumping sound/feeling when pulling away 1st and 2nd, worse when car warm

1. Question Help! – thumping sound/feeling when pulling away 1st and 2nd, worse when car warm 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi!

I wonder if anyone can give me any advice/suggestions about a problem with my car. It’s a 2001 Audi A4 (B6) 2.5tdi Quattro. So far I really can’t figure out what might be causing it as the symptoms are odd and searching the web nothing quite matches!

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions! 

There is a thumping/clunking sound from rear of the car more on the left side I think, but difficult to tell exactly. You can also feel it through , like you have driven over a small bump.

Specific symptoms:
    1. Firstly the odd part of this issue, I only get the problem when the car has warmed up a bit. If I try to recreate the problem when I first drive in the morning its fine and no issue at all!

2. Problem happens on the straight in 1st and 2nd gear when pulling away. I can occasionally feel it 3rd gear but not often and difficult to tell if it’s just a bump in the road when going at that speed. Car didn’t use to do this but is getting worse. When pulling away in 1st I get 2 or 3 thumps/bumps, then go to second gear and maybe another 1 or 2 thumps/bumps. The problem is much worse when going up hill but also happens on the flat, the bumps/thumps feel more severe when pulling away up a hill.

3. Also I get this problem when reversing out of a parking space and then pulling away, car has always done this but they couldn’t recreate the problem when I asked garage to have a look few years back.

4. Cruising around normally no problems at all in any gear. No issues when going over bumpy roads or around corners. Also no issues in gears 4 to 6 when accelerating.

0 0 0

2. Re: Help! – thumping sound/feeling when pulling away 1st and 2nd, worse when car warm 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have a look at the engine mount, in particular drivers side, i had the same issue when pulling away and the engine mount had sheared, only ever made the noise which sounded like a rapid knocking on take off and sometimes when downshifting at low speed. I lifted my bonnet and went for a drive, well start off. If you look under the bonnet you can see the engine, mine was lifting quite a lot which was a sure sign the mount wasnt holding the engine down. Just make sure you there is nothing infront of you when you try. The noise could be transfering down the drive shaft making it sound as if it was coming from the rear.
    A4 AVANT 2.5TDI SPORT QUATTRO

0 0 0

3. Re: Help! – thumping sound/feeling when pulling away 1st and 2nd, worse when car warm 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWARCUP View Post
    Have a look at the engine mount, in particular drivers side, i had the same issue when pulling away and the engine mount had sheared, only ever made the noise which sounded like a rapid knocking on take off and sometimes when downshifting at low speed. I lifted my bonnet and went for a drive, well start off. If you look under the bonnet you can see the engine, mine was lifting quite a lot which was a sure sign the mount wasnt holding the engine down. Just make sure you there is nothing infront of you when you try. The noise could be transfering down the drive shaft making it sound as if it was coming from the rear.
    Thanks for helping me out!

I will defo check this as I had an engine mount fault code on VAGcom 5 years ago when I bought the car, but never really any symptoms.

The noise on mine isn’t a rapid knocking sound, it’s a sporadic and more of a thud sound that a knock. In first gear when pulling away I will get approx. 3 thuds which can be felt as well. The first thud is almost straight away, then 1 or 2 more but with different duration between each thud. Then when I go second gear there are another 2 or 3 thuds again, with different duration between each thud but less aggressive than in first gear. 3rd gear still pulling away is fine 90% of the time but very gentle thuds still felt if going up hill and accelerating away fast

0 0 0

4. Re: Help! – thumping sound/feeling when pulling away 1st and 2nd, worse when car warm 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check rear diff mounts and also gearbox mount as well for wear or damage. Gearbox mount has a cup shape so stones and road debris can lodge in there especially if the under tray has been removed or is badly damaged. I had a strange thumping noise from mine usually in low gears under acceleration and I found a stone lodged in the gearbox mount. Stone removed -noise gone.

0 0 0

5. Re: Help! – thumping sound/feeling when pulling away 1st and 2nd, worse when car warm 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also funny how we're both getting it when warm hey?

0 0 0

6. Re: Help! – thumping sound/feeling when pulling away 1st and 2nd, worse when car warm 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had this problem with my A4 1.8T quattro but it went after having all 4 tyres changed at the same time.

0 0 0

7. Re: Help! – thumping sound/feeling when pulling away 1st and 2nd, worse when car warm 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I will Dig out this thread. I Have the same problem on my a4. Did the author of the topic solve the issue?

Wysłane z mojego SM-A510F przy użyciu Tapatalka

0 0 0