Notices

User Tag List

Thread: how long can a damaged timing belt last?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: how long can a damaged timing belt last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    and do you really randomly pull back the covers on the timing belt to check the condition of the belt.do you also turn the engine over slowly to check all the belt, as the chances of the damaged bit being in view are quite remote.
    in fact, i think you are just full if it and are making the whole thing up , but can't imagine why.
    Christ it's DSG's alter ego

1 3 0

2. Re: how long can a damaged timing belt last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    never wondered ho you never see me and dsg on at the same time eh ???
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 2 0

3. Re: how long can a damaged timing belt last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    never wondered ho you never see me and dsg on at the same time eh ???
    Remember Mike & Bernie Winters? A very unfunny act. Anyway they were doing a show in Scotland one night and one of them went on with the dog. After 5 minutes of "jokes" with no audience response the other one cam on stage and a voice from the back of the hall said "oh ****, there's 2 of them"

0 3 0

4. Re: how long can a damaged timing belt last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you can see the toothed timing belt from under the bonnet, you need a new timing belt cover, as every Audi I've ever owned has the belt hidden away to protect it from dirt, grease and grime. Persons 1 or 2 would also need to have removed the cover to have cut it.

Unless you mean the serpentine / alternator / fan belt, which is visible from under the bonnet, but breaking/cutting it would be the (albeit fairly major) inconvenience of not having the power steering, air conditioning or battery charging until you replaced it, but not as expensive as new pistons, valves or cams.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

0 3 0

5. Re: how long can a damaged timing belt last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I doubt its been cut. Its cracked through age and tension most likely. These belts arent designed to stretch and snap, they will just get dry, crack and then boom. Your lucky you have 1 cord left holding the belt together. Don't drive it, get a new belt. Job done.

You will be most likely causing damage to someone's possession for no reason, I also don't condone criminal damage. Those belts are pretty tough, I would expect if you tried to cut it with any normal knife, it would leave a horrendous frayed mess and dusty evidence under your belt cover. Cracking under tension will generally give a neater break, exactly like breaking an eraser in half. Are we talking a chef knife here or bowie?

I like a bit of knifey spoony.
    151 PS @ 3800 rpm 1.6 8V MPi - 31.5mpg urban <-- Happy days

123k On the clock and counting. (25k on the block)

I need all your V-Powers.

0 3 0

6. Re: how long can a damaged timing belt last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SammoVWT View Post
    I doubt its been cut. Its cracked through age and tension most likely. These belts arent designed to stretch and snap, they will just get dry, crack and then boom. Your lucky you have 1 cord left holding the belt together. Don't drive it, get a new belt. Job done.

You will be most likely causing damage to someone's possession for no reason, I also don't condone criminal damage. Those belts are pretty tough, I would expect if you tried to cut it with any normal knife, it would leave a horrendous frayed mess and dusty evidence under your belt cover. Cracking under tension will generally give a neater break, exactly like breaking an eraser in half. Are we talking a chef knife here or bowie?

I like a bit of knifey spoony.
    Bowie would burn it - ashes to ashes...

0 0 0

7. Re: how long can a damaged timing belt last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm.

i got person 2 too admitt it after i sent email to the manufacturer whit picture of the belt and theire engineers said if i started the engine the belt would snap immidiatly. so it had to been cut after i stalled the engine..

and here you go trolls
    yes i do leave my car unlocked, and person 2 have owned 2 audis c4 so he knew exactly where to go, and yes i do randomly check me engine bay sometimes it just strikes me to do so . and the bit about the chance of the cut being right under the inspection cover is the main reason i belive it was person 2.
    and infact, you can think i lie til the sun hits the sky

cant understand how you guys can be so touchy,, person 2 tried to kill my car ? eye for an eye, is in the bible eaven !

0 1 0

8. Re: how long can a damaged timing belt last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is person 2 a friend?

Glad you got it worked out, I've always wondered how Norwegian justice is served

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 2 0

9. Re: how long can a damaged timing belt last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    you have obviously deeply upset person 2. i just hope you are right and it wasn't person 1 after all, as person 2 may be a bit upset at you if you vandalise his car and may take revenge on you, maybe by setting fire to your car.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 3 0

10. Re: how long can a damaged timing belt last? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's been fun reading this however I'm just about to remove my timing cover just in case someone I might have annoyed has cut my timing belt. What a load of old pony

0 4 0

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast