Notices

User Tag List

Thread: diesel tank leaking fuel out everywhere underneath car ??? any know tank problems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. diesel tank leaking fuel out everywhere underneath car ??? any know tank problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anybody know of fuel tank problems on the b8 saloon model...at my wits end with this car now just one thing after another endless problems
    last week i sold a car that i got through the trade and it had a full tank ov derv so i drained 25 ltrs into a drum before it went for my own car,yesterday i poured the fuel in through my garden watering can into the tank filler neck which took several times to fill the watering can and into the car....on a couple of fills i noticed the odd bit ov derv coming from behind the corner of rear bumper,like a overflow maybe because i tipped the diesel in the filler neck pretty fast so thought nothing about it.
    anyways a couple of hrs later i went out in the car and about 3-4 miles down the road later i nearly skidded off the road on a normal corner at low speed and immediatley pulled over thinking i had skidded on sommat on the road......however on looking at the back of my car i noticed the rear bumper and boot lid covered in a fine mist of diesel so looked underneath the car and it was pi$$ing out all over the place,dripping from the rear inner cills,floor,tank,suspension and rear tyres drenched in the stuff *** when i left home it was on 3/4 of a tank.....3-4 mile later now creeping towards 1/2 tank,surely this amount cannot be a overflow problem as there was way too much fuel dripping out from somewhere losing near quarter of a tank ?
    i limped the car to my dad's house not too far from where i noticed the problem and once the engine was turned off i checked 10 mins later and it appeared to have stopped but i am baffled as to what the problem might be.....before i remove the tank for inspection of leaks etc has anyone had a derv tank problem on this a4 b8 model and could this have happened by pouring the fuel in like i did instead of using a proper fuel delivery gun
    if you have experienced any fuel neck or tank problems i would like to hear from you please cheers people daz.

previous repairs to this car : 2 x dmf clutch failures,injectors,headlight washer jet,rear door lock.....now got wheel bearing gone & 3'rd clutch thrust bearing noise and clattering vibration on tick over not good on a car only done 69k miles 6 yr old.

2008 audi a4 b8 s-line 2.0 tdi 6 speed manual .........love this car but it's killing me now keeping on top of repairs not proving to be reliable at all

0 0 0

2. Re: diesel tank pi$$ing fuel out everywhere underneath car ??? any know tank problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    It has to be an issue with the sender rubber seal 4F0 919 133 B, has anyone been in there as far as you know? We have seen this on cars that have been drained of petrol in a hurry. It may have had a new fuel pump and they neglected to fit the cap which blanks off the feed for cars with supplementary heating as all new pumps come dual purpose.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

3. Re: diesel tank pi$$ing fuel out everywhere underneath car ??? any know tank problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the reply crasher.....is the sender under the back seat base or do you have to drop the tank to get to it as gonna tow the car home today rather than drive it as it seemed like it was pi$$ing fuel out until i stopped & turned the engine off unless it was caused by swishing about in the tank while driving ?
    i will get the car home and jack the back end up to see if i can find the problem this afternoon before i cause another car or biker to crash on my fuel spills,needs sorting asap will report back later if i find anything,cheers.

0 0 0

4. Re: diesel tank pi$$ing fuel out everywhere underneath car ??? any know tank problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    UPDATE :

job done fixed ......first time i am not blaming the car for sommat as this was a absolute joke whoever botched this up was a total idiot,basically i thought i would start with the easy option first so removed the rear seat base exposing the tin plate covering the fuel sender unit and once i removed the 3 screws and pulled the cover off .....low & behold i was faced with a cracked sender unit in the middle of the big plastic retaining ring botched up with what looks like sikaflex screen bonding adhesive
    All this gunged up crap had lifted away exposing a huge crack nearly in 2 pieces where the fuel line push fits connect,what a foookin **** up.... it looks like some idiot tried hammering the plastic retaining ring for some reason and damaged the sender unit in the middle,why on earth not just replace it once they knackered it up frig me i have seen some botches in my time and worried now what else i might find as whoever owned this car previously had no morals doing $hit like this lol what a joke
    anyway after carefully removing the plastic retaining ring with a home made tool i removed the cocked up sender unit and fished out 5 small pieces of broken plastic sat in the bottom of the tank....after filling up yesterday this crap holding the sender must ov come away and dumped fuel everywhere underneath the car......HAD THIS BEEN PETROL THE CAR WOULD HAVE GONE UP IN FLAMES........ so whoever done this needs there balls chopping off in my opinion as i am livid but also relieved i have found the problem thank god.
    looks like a trip to the scrap yard tomorrow or a quick look on fleabay for a replacement asap......case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    It has to be an issue with the sender rubber seal 4F0 919 133 B, has anyone been in there as far as you know? We have seen this on cars that have been drained of petrol in a hurry. It may have had a new fuel pump and they neglected to fit the cap which blanks off the feed for cars with supplementary heating as all new pumps come dual purpose.

1 1 0

5. Re: diesel tank pi$$ing fuel out everywhere underneath car ??? any know tank problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    p.s. forgot to say thanks to crasher for pointing me in the direction of the sender unit as that was where my problem was but never expected to find what i did lol cheers pal

0 1 0

6. Re: diesel tank pi$$ing fuel out everywhere underneath car ??? any know tank problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    It will not have been down to the fuel pump failing, it will be some sort of roadside recovery to deal with a petrol miss-fuelling event, we see managed around the sender like this a lot and also at the fuel filter T piece. These people are called out on a fixed price basis where there is cut throat competition to do it 5p cheaper than the next guy and they rush to do the job instead of taking their time which could take an hour longer and make them impotent against the other guy. The owners/drivers in distress want to pay as little as possible to get themselves out of the **** they are in and this creates the market for a bodge job. The corcet way is to detach the filter feed, run the in tank until the tank is dry and recover all the fuel. Then run the pump again with some clean diesel but around in the circuit with a new filter and then bilge this out again and add some clean diesel. This is the correct way and it takes three times as long, no one will pay for this and so the desperation creates a market.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

7. Re: diesel tank pi$$ing fuel out everywhere underneath car ??? any know tank problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i know where your coming from crasher maybe one of the former keepers filled with petrol and got some idiot out to drain it off but all they needed to do was turn the plastic retaining clip anti-clockwise and release the sender to drain off.......this looked like it had a hammer put through the middle of the sender unit to stuff a siphon hose inside.....god knows why they never removed the retaining ring as it is a simple job,this was total butchery in my opinion but maybe the owner was advised to replace after incident and decided to botch instead As far as i am concerned this car was a death trap with this ****-up,just imagine if it was a petrol with a child seat in the back......boooooom !!!!
    Also i nearly spun off the road with my rear end completely soaked in derv......disaterous either way

just got a replacement sender unit today and fitted this evening..... all fixed and the roads are motorcycle safe from my car again lol

0 0 0

8. Re: diesel tank pi$$ing fuel out everywhere underneath car ??? any know tank problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As you said earlier had it been a petrol car ....

0 0 0

9. Re: diesel tank pi$$ing fuel out everywhere underneath car ??? any know tank problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    The problem with these Peiesl events is they are going to be an extreme form of distress. You can just imagine the scenario I watched in the services at Scotch corner with a chap and his Q7 a few weeks back. He would have been getting serious abuse of the left eardrum from the (rather fit) wife and near permanent hearing damage in the other from the "brats in the back" and to top it all, he just ****** up and put petrol in it. So it’s a company car on lease, Sunday evening, work next day, misuses and kids giving him hell, blood pressure and stress levels off the scale and he needs a bail (literally) to reduce wallet damage. He can’t call the company scheme breakdown so no one at work finds out, so “IF” the hi-pressure pump eats itself a week later (as VAG TPI 2024560/8 points out) he can deny all knowledge and he is off the hook from a huge bill. So, the only guy around charges £100 cash "no invoice M8" and he gets home before midnight with the possibility of some conjugal leg over still on the menu....

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 2 0

10. Re: diesel tank pi$$ing fuel out everywhere underneath car ??? any know tank problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    i went to loads when i worked for vw assist in 2004 ish. one i remember was a bloke in a polo. broken down and no idea why. took me a few minutes to suss he had just filled it with diesel. i gave him his options and he really wasn't happy, started punching his dash. i politely drove off, left him to it. got a call from the office a few minutes later asking me to go back as he had called in and calmed down. he was fine after that.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 2 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast