Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Power Loss & P2293 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276): Mechanical Malfunction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Power Loss & P2293 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276): Mechanical Malfunction 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have seen cases of solenoid driven valves such as injectors fail to open because the pressure is too high, not sure if this is the case but. I feel its worth keeping in mind. Interesting read though, hope you get to the bottom of it.

Also there may be a good reason why the rail is rated to 110 (safety rating as in maximum allowed pressure before it pops).

90 may even be the correct pressure. if the range is supposed to be from 0-90bar etc.

Similar principle in fridge, the pipework may be able to withstand 50bar for example. but the system runs at 25bar as a design and the 50bar max is incase some valves let go.

It looks to me like you still have an over pressure issue from looking at your previous posts/logs. For whatever reason, something in your car is thinking the fuel pressure is low, and forcing the pump to run more OR the pump is knackered (and blockages as have been previously mentioned) OR pressure is normal and thinks is high and backing off.

I would prove that nothing is providing a restriction. Have you serviced your injectors at all? Might be worth checking the filter baskets in them.

If you had some dirty fuel it could well have made your PV dirty and injectors, both of which can cause a rise in pressure.

You dont always get a code with a faulty sensor, they can go out of spec. Seen this in the field more times than I've had hot dinners. A lot of the automotive style sensors for pressure are similar to the ones we use at work. Infact some of them are 'automotive' pressure transducers.

Looking closely at the logs, it looks like the pressure drops off right around when it reaches the 110.0 bar max, are you sure your HP sensor is good?

When dealing with high pressure systems, its very common for safety procedures to be put in to reduce extreme pressure. In this case it might well be backing off the pump if the actual pressure is 90 and the reading is 110.0 so could be backing off due to erroneous sensor range.

Have you got a gauge you can put on the fuel line to check real pressure?

If sensor is definately brand new with no problems, it might be the loom going into that set of sensors.
    151 PS @ 3800 rpm 1.6 8V MPi - 31.5mpg urban <-- Happy days

123k On the clock and counting. (25k on the block)

I need all your V-Powers.

0 0 0

2. Re: Power Loss & P2293 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276): Mechanical Malfunction 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Think I may have found the problem.

When checking for codes (every few days over recent months) I had occasionally seen an intermittent P0341 cam position sensor (G40) code. It didn't match (timewise) up to the P2293 code and they often appeared completely independently so I never made any connection. However, as I'd changed pretty much everything I could think of (without starting back at the HPFP) I figured I should at least take a look at the cam position sensor and at the very least, get rid of that code.

008851 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276): Mechanical Malfunction
    P2293 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame
    Fault Status: 00100010
    Fault Priority: 0
    Fault Frequency: 2
    Mileage: 205445 km
    Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame
    RPM: 2302 /min
    Load: 63.9 %
    Speed: 104.0 km/h
    Temperature: 91.0°C
    Temperature: 6.0°C
    Absolute Pres.: 980.0 mbar
    Voltage: 13.970 V

000833 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal
    P0341 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame
    Fault Status: 00101000
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Mileage: 206101 km

Freeze Frame
    RPM: 5352 /min
    Load: 100.0 %
    Speed: 112.0 km/h
    Temperature: 90.0°C
    Temperature: 8.0°C
    Voltage: 13.843 V

When I pulled the sensor, I found that the tip was covered in fine metal shavings (like an oil mag plug) which I suspect came from the worn cam and follower that was the first repair by Audi just over 10,000 miles before. I figured this would likely affect the magnetic field critical to the hall effect measurement of the cam position and would likely explain the P0341 code. I cleaned it up and refitted it. Within the first mile I got the following code which put the check engine light (MIL) on.

000010 - Camshaft Positioner (Bank 1 Intake): Slow Response
    P000A - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent - MIL ON
    Freeze Frame
    Fault Status: 10101000
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Mileage: 206529 km

Freeze Frame
    RPM: 1303 /min
    Load: 43.9 %
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Temperature: 17.0°C
    Temperature: 3.0°C
    Voltage: 14.097 V

I reset this code - which I suspect was the engine management readjusting to the new (correct) CPS reading - and did a few long test drives with plenty of hard acceleration/high speed runs. The P000A code didn't come back and neither did the P0341 or P2293. Also, I've had no recurrence of the power loss symptoms. After covering around 400 miles I'm getting more confident that my issue is fixed.

I can only speculate on why a contaminated CPS might cause the HP fuel pressure to drop from 100+bar down to 6.4bar, but can make no real educated connection between the two. To be honest, I'm just glad my car is driving normally for the first time in over 6 months.

0 0 0

3. Re: Power Loss & P2293 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276): Mechanical Malfunction 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by betyouaint View Post
    Think I may have found the problem.

When checking for codes (every few days over recent months) I had occasionally seen an intermittent P0341 cam position sensor (G40) code. It didn't match (timewise) up to the P2293 code and they often appeared completely independently so I never made any connection. However, as I'd changed pretty much everything I could think of (without starting back at the HPFP) I figured I should at least take a look at the cam position sensor and at the very least, get rid of that code.

When I pulled the sensor, I found that the tip was covered in fine metal shavings (like an oil mag plug) which I suspect came from the worn cam and follower that was the first repair by Audi just over 10,000 miles before. I figured this would likely affect the magnetic field critical to the hall effect measurement of the cam position and would likely explain the P0341 code. I cleaned it up and refitted it. Within the first mile I got the following code which put the check engine light (MIL) on.

I reset this code - which I suspect was the engine management readjusting to the new (correct) CPS reading - and did a few long test drives with plenty of hard acceleration/high speed runs. The P000A code didn't come back and neither did the P0341 or P2293. Also, I've had no recurrence of the power loss symptoms. After covering around 400 miles I'm getting more confident that my issue is fixed.

I can only speculate on why a contaminated CPS might cause the HP fuel pressure to drop from 100+bar down to 6.4bar, but can make no real educated connection between the two. To be honest, I'm just glad my car is driving normally for the first time in over 6 months.

Hey betyouaint, I'm trying to use your old work to debug a problem, I think I may have a similar issue. I have the P2293 (n276 mech. malfunction) code but have already replaced the pump, checked all electricals, and made sure my tune wasn't the issue, so I've started to expand where I think the problem may stem from, and a camshaft position sensor giving incorrect data to the system would DEFINITELY make the HPFP malfunction, the timing would be off between the piston trying to pump fuel pressure up and the internal check valves that close to maintain the pressure while the piston is dropping each cycle.

Are there any other symptoms you had that cleared up when the CPS was cleaned up? I also have a mechanical clicking sound coming from somewhere in the valve train that I can only hear on overrun, and it seems easy to believe that the position sensor could be related.

Thanks!

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123