1. turbo vanes sticking or naffed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys wondering if you can help me, I have a passat tdi 140 been experiencing problems for a while, had engine workshop fault whilst driving to France a few times, changed all vacuum pipes and done Mr muscle treatment on turbo, it's whining a bit although been doing since I bought it on January, had it remapped turned out the ecu had been programmed to a 170 ecu and possibly messed about to make it run, ( file said the car had dpf but it hasn't), had a new 140 file programed into it and then remapped, ran really well for a while and now starting to play up again, had the egr blanked and removed from the ecu file, now when the cars cold mainly in the mornings it splutters up to 2000 and a cloud of black smoke, does that a few times and then it's fine, ( if you just drive under load it's fine first time), there's not alot of movement from the turbo actuator arm, find drops of oil in the intercooler pipes possiblly seals?

Any ideas on whats the problem with it not boosting properly, thinking of buying a recon turbo and putting it in before s*#t hits the fan???

0 0 0

2. Re: turbo vanes sticking or naffed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mr VW spent squillions optimising your engine and getting it just tickety-boo. If there's anything wrong with it a remap isn't going to fix it. Probably quite the opposite. Step one is to return the car to standard spec. Step two is to get a VCDS scan.

p.s The mister muscle treatment on a turbo isn't going to fix anything, at best it might give you a few week of relief. If gummed up, you need to split the turbo to clean properly.

Driving - Shiny new E350 Estate.. Just Arrived - Aggh! a C-Max. What have I done?
    Just Gone - 2008 Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG Estate + toys, 2007 Golf GTI

Once, cars were simple and I was smart. Now things are the other way around.

0 0 0

3. Re: turbo vanes sticking or naffed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know remapping won't fix anything that's not what I quoted, it ran better after the map and better economy, vcfs doesn't bring up any faults only an airbag fault caused by the steering wheel, what I was asking was if there was anything else other than what was done to be recommended before I purchase a new one, I'm guessing the whining can't be stopped and the seals are naff so it's probably better of with a new one

0 0 0

4. Re: turbo vanes sticking or naffed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    It sounds like your map file should be looked at to make sure it is good. Turbo problems post remap are very common. Noise and oil mist can generally be ignored as they rarely mean much of a fault.
    Last edited by martin1810; 23-07-2014 at 05:35 PM.

0 0 0

5. Re: turbo vanes sticking or naffed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    A sticking turbo usually posts up an over boost fault code, which Ross Tech sometimes attributes to the MAP sensor (or thrust sensor as Audi call it). Your struggling to 2000 revs doesn't sound typical for the fault to me - you usually get normal acceleration that fades off when the engine becomes more loaded. Typically going up hill......... when you've just overtaken a bus and have to drop in front and listen to the horn all the way to the next bit of flat.

Driving - Shiny new E350 Estate.. Just Arrived - Aggh! a C-Max. What have I done?
    Just Gone - 2008 Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG Estate + toys, 2007 Golf GTI

Once, cars were simple and I was smart. Now things are the other way around.

0 0 0