Notices

User Tag List

Thread: help please swapping abs unit with different part number ending ? re-code on vcds ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: help please swapping abs unit with different part number ending ? re-code on vcds ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dazbo,
    Have you resolved this issue? I recently went through a similar experience. Through VCDS I was able to swap an abs module that was not the exact part number and recode it to the vehicle. It showed the same incorrect chassis code. Let me know if you still need help and I can post a reply of what I was able to do. It involves the login and coding options. To let you know mine was a 2003 Audi A4 with the Bosch 5.7 module. Yours is newer but I think it should still work.
    Last edited by Mohohunter; 24-07-2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: typos

1 0 0

2. Re: re-code used abs unit with vcds fault code 01794 incorrect chassis / vin help please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Daz, I am unable to send you a private message as I am new to the forum and do not have ten posts yet. Please let me know if you have this resolved though

0 0 0

3. Re: re-code used abs unit with vcds fault code 01794 incorrect chassis / vin help please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi gupsterg sorry for late reply as been on my hols......wish i was still there lol ha ha,thanks very much for your help and advice i will firstly look into the vin adaption and see if it can be changed as to my thinking if this was not possible then all the used second hand units would be obsolete which sounds crazy to me ?
    i have not pm'd a8 tech but i will do so on your advice and if no luck i will speak to ross tech.
    i have a genuine cable but not registered for support as i intend to re-sell the lead when i sell the car next year....any idea's if i will have to register the cable as last resort to sesolve my abs issue's as the re-sale values are lower when sold to next owner,mine is the kit in the box with hex can cable plus adapter cables for early pre 1995 car and also round pin connection for vans etc currently retails at £306.00.
    if i can get advice on possible re-code abs without registering the cable for technical help that would be better for my re-sale of the kit as i am only a private novice user of vcds with very little knowledge......many thanks again gupsterg for all your help and advice kind regards daz.

0 0 0

4. Re: re-code used abs unit with vcds fault code 01794 incorrect chassis / vin help please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi mohunter many thanks for your help and interest sorry for late reply as been on holidays so just got back.
    i still need help if possible to re code the new abs unit which i am hoping is possible as i bought it too long ago now to return from ebay seller,also to my thinking surely these used units can be used again as if not the scrapyards would have no re-sale value on obsolete abs units ?
    sounds crazy to my thinking,anyway if you can shed some light on this subject i would be very greatful for your time.....basically if it can be re coded i need clear instructions on vcds instructions as i have only used mine a couple of times for needle sweeps etc so pretty much clueless on how this thing actually works to it's full potential ?
    if possible i do not want to register the cable for technical help with ross tech as i intend to sell next year along with the car,please get back to me if you have done a similar fix to my problem,many thanx daz.

1 0 0

5. Re: re-code used abs unit with vcds fault code 01794 incorrect chassis / vin help please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    *Edit- from reading previous posts I surmised that you may need to use the "Security Access-16" instead of "Login-11". On my 2003 A4 the Security Access is grayed out while the "Login-11" is not. If it is the other way around then just follow my directions but instead use "Security Access -16" where I say to go into "Login-11" Also I just read that in the 2008's as well as the Steering Wheel Alignment you may need to perform ESP-Sensor Unit(G419) calibration, if equipped. For this check the drop down menu and/or group 069 within "Basic Settings". I have found a link to a Youtube video of this being done that is very good and covers a few areas that I missed such as changing the workshop code. here is the link Coding the Bosch 5.3 and 5.7 ABS Modules - YouTube

Ok it is a fairly long process but here goes I will try to be as thorough as possible but please feel free to ask any questions. This will be written as though you know how to do the simple things.

Step 1. Plug the cable in and with the key on get into the ABS section of VCDS (Select Module>03-ABS Brakes)

Step 2. You will need to turn on your vehicle and leave it running for the duration of this process. You will need to perform a steering angle sensor alignment after coding so this is very important.

Step 3. Take note of the heading that reads "soft. coding:". Write down that number in case you may need it later. First you need to find out what the Login and Coding is for your specific vehicle. Click on the Login-11 option. You should see a pop up balloon that will show you the different options to create your five digit code. The code is based off of your vehicle information(model,engine,brakes,transmission)Screenshot 2014-07-30 12.59.16.jpgRefer to Image. The only one you may not know is your brakes option. This information can be found in spare tire well on a sticker. You will need to look on the sticker for PR code containing the three digit codes in the brakes section of balloon(in picture example mine are 1LA,1LG,1ZL,1LT,1LZ) Write down this 5 digit code. For example only, if I had an A4 with Brembo brakes, 4 cylinder engine, automatic- The code would be 09477.

Step 4. Enter this code into the space provided and click "Do it!"(if you incorrectly enter the code you will have to turn vehicle off for a few minutes and log back in to try again)

Step 5. Now go into the Coding-07 option and you will need to do the same thing for Coding as you did with Login. Another balloon will pop up but please note the code will not be the same. You will easily be able to figure it though based on the information you already acquired. After you find out this code also write it down and then enter it in the space provided. If the workshop code(WSC) reads 00000 then you will need to change this to 12345 and then Click "Do it!" If the work shop code is any other code than 00000 then you can just leave it alone. You should now be able to look at the "Soft. Coding" and it should say the code you just entered.

Step 7. Go back into Login-11 and enter the code for "basic settings enabling" This should be "40168" but I can not confirm that it is the same in every version of VCDS. Look at the bottom of the balloon and it will tell you. Enter this code and again click "Do it!"

Step 8. Go into "Basic Settings -04". Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to the left and then back to dead center also making sure your tires are completely straight forward. You should see a drop down menu like this Screenshot 2014-07-30 13.07.01.jpg. Click on the "Steering Angle Sensor(G85) Alignment" After you do this you should see all the boxes be green and the third box should read "OK". If the drop menu does not display you can enter 001 in the "group" box and then click "Go" After this is done you can click "Done, Go Back".

Step 9. You are done and just saved yourself a ton of money. You can exit the module and VCDS. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Please note that if you are unable to even access the 03-ABS Brakes module then your module is not compatible at all with your vehicle and or it is a faulty module.

Please feel free to ask any questions. My instructions make sense to me but may not to others. Have a great day and I hope this helps you and/or others
    Also check out the Ross Tech Wiki and Forums. These have been very valuable resources to me. Here is a link to info on your specific vehicle. It is a split year though. Audi A4/S4/RS4/Cabriolet (8E/8H) - Ross-Tech Wiki

Last edited by Mohohunter; 01-08-2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Aditional option

2 1 0

6. Re: re-code used abs unit with vcds fault code 01794 incorrect chassis / vin help please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi mohunter thanks for the info top bloke i managed to sort it out off your instructions.......now all working job done thanks to your instructions i worked it out,basically i got to step 8 basic settings and thought i had hit a brick wall as there was no options at all to click into absolutely nothing whatsoever so did not find or cover anything on steering angle sensor / alignment etc.....i am pretty much clueless on vcds so just had a play and the 2 5 digit codes were displayed in bubble for me so all i did was enter those all by going through security access 16 as option 11 was greyed out like you said it might be and somewhere along the lines i encountered ross tech stating something like "put to default 12345" or something ????
    god knows what i did but it worked anyway esp light gone out and deleted fault codes then re-scanned and abs status : ok so fingers crossed all stays good now as no idea if the incorrect vin/chassis has gone as all i did was enter the 2 5 digit codes and nothing else but the car runs fine with no esp bleeping on dash so made up as thought i might have to remove and fit identical part with same matching numbers......excellent thanks for your time pal much appreciated daz.

1 1 0

7. Re: re-code used abs unit with vcds fault code 01794 incorrect chassis / vin help please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    forgot to mention now the unit appears to work ok and there is no abs fault codes do i still need to do adaptions regarding the vin/chassis numbers as this abs unit was off another car or does it look like i may have already done it by chance on my vcds clueless guessing game adventure ha ha thanks again daz.

0 0 0

8. Re: re-code used abs unit with vcds fault code 01794 incorrect chassis / vin help please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Daz,
    First off I apologize that due to my inexperience with 2008+ Audis that you were unable to follow my directions word for word. I am glad however that you were able to sort it out. It would seem that based off your information you have a 2008 1/2. They made a split year with the 2008. From what I understand there is a B6 and a B7 facelift version. I read on Ross Tech that the newer ones they moved the Steering Wheel Alignment to Channel "16 Steering Wheel". I was curious to see how that would work with the Steering Alignment process needed for the ABS recoding. Technically the real work is done by entering the 2 five digit codes. In the 2002-2008(pre facelift) it is required that you do the Steering Alignment, or after you exit the ABS module with VCDS, it will simply revert back to what it was before. Since they moved the Steering Alignment to channel 16 it makes sense that you would not be required to do that for it to work in the 2008 1/2 models. This means that for 2008 1/2 models and beyond you would simply need to follow steps 1,3,4 and 5. The main thing will be comparing what the "soft. coding" says while you are within the "03-ABS Module" to what it said before. Before I coded my module this read "00000". After I coded it, even if I exit the ABS module and come back in it will correctly read 09477(this is my vehicle information). This is a lot of information just to say that you should not need to do any more coding and/or adaptations. I am glad this worked for you and hopefully it can help others as well. If you are reading this and have a 2002-2008(pre facelift) then the above instructions should work easily for you.

Also I found and watched a video for how to do this that explains it in much more detail than I was able to. I posted a link above but will also put it here.
    Coding the Bosch 5.3 and 5.7 ABS Modules - YouTube
    Last edited by Mohohunter; 01-08-2014 at 11:09 PM.

0 0 0

9. Re: re-code used abs unit with vcds fault code 01794 incorrect chassis / vin help please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi mohunter my car is a 2008 first of the facelift b8 model....your instuctions are nice and clear i just got thrown off a bit when i went to basic settings and nothing came up so thought i had lost my way a bit on vcds as totally clueless at working this great piece of kit but keep trying
    anyway after resolving the abs unit problem which is great i have run a scan the day after and now got 2 faults again not sure if related to abs ?

08 - auto h vac malfunction 0010
    09 - central electrics malfunction 0010

tried deleting dtc's but both came back on but car is running sweet with no warning lights on dash....not 100% but pretty sure these faults were not there before i had a play on vcds with abs coding any ideas's

many thanks again daz.

0 0 0

10. Re: re-code used abs unit with vcds fault code 01794 incorrect chassis / vin help please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Daz,
    Both of those codes sound unrelated to your ABS. I suspect that they were there before. Did you find these codes by running an "Auto Scan"? Was that all Thad VCDS said? It seems rather vague. I am unfamiliar with those codes but tomorrow (I'm in the US) I can see what I'm able to find out about them.
    Mohohunter

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast