Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Should my 2 year old a4 have rust bubbling on the bootlid??

1. Unhappy Should my 2 year old a4 have rust bubbling on the bootlid?? 
    glynburrtwo Guest
    Hi all,

I'm new to this site - I've just bought a one owner, low mileage, 2 year old a4 2.0T Fsi Sline. I love it, except i think i have found a tiny rust blister on the boot lid near the number plate.

Surely this can't be?! It's only a baby. i thought the audi's were galvanised. there is no evidence of scratching or a chip either.

I thought these things were bomb proof!!

The dealer (derby audi) has been shocked by it and has immediately agreed to get it sorted, but even so, a bit of a schock!!

Any thoughts??
    0 0 0

2. Re: Should my 2 year old a4 have rust bubbling on the bootlid?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I would say that metal will rust, you are very unlucky, my 8 year old car has no rust...well visible anyway.

I would say its a localised problem and if the dealer is sorting it out then I wouldn't be to concerned

VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0T 2015 - Awesome snow churning 4x4 GTI 😉
    0 0 0

3. Re: Should my 2 year old a4 have rust bubbling on the bootlid?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Hi, i believe you are correct in that they are galvanised, Don't forget that galvanising is only a plating process and is microns thick, if your car has had any bodywork done, even a bootlid resprayed after a scratch, its possible to rub down and break through the plating, exposing mild steel! My A4 is 10 years old and perfect except i think its had a new rear wing at some time in its life, there is a very small amount of blistering around the wheel arch, again its possible the galvanising was scratched or rubbed through with wet and dry paper before being resprayed. Hope this could answer your question.
    0 0 0

4. Re: Should my 2 year old a4 have rust bubbling on the bootlid?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I agree with rhencullen1989. It could be that the car has had a minor shunt followed by a respray. Even so, the repair should last longer than 2 years if done properly. Is the blister on the edge of the lid? Damage may have been caused by the lid being flung open and hitting something overhanging the car.
    0 0 0