Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2 hours to strip the front end off and this is what I found:

DSC_0203.jpg

Once top pipe removed that connects to the rad (suspect pipe) I could see were the leak had been spaying up and downward towards the alternator, and dry pink coolant deposit on the engine mount.

DSC_0208.jpg

Mind my nails! clearly pin holes top side that were spaying coolant on to the left air box.

DSC_0209.jpg

This been the under side that sprayed coolant down the pipe work towards the Alt.

DSC_0210.jpg

The pipe. £15.80 from Audi, and I have been told its on back order and can take up to a week! Its nothing special, so in the mean time I am on the hunt for one of these.
    Last edited by rob1976; 22-07-2014 at 09:08 AM.

0 0 0

2. Re: New to the a8 4.2 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1976 View Post
    Thx Scott,

A bit far, but something new I havent heard off is "ZF authorise in UK" A special type of oil used in these?
    Hi Rob,
    ZF gearboxes don't like anyone touching their stuff but Mackeys Engineering are allowed to. They also give a better than original warranty if they have rebuilt the gearbox. They have an amazing set up and are the only place that can take the torque converters to bits and rebuild them. A lot of places can do an oil change but not flush the torque converter.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

3. Re: New to the a8 4.2 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    BMW V8s went through a phase of leaking top hoses.
    Common consensus was that the torque of the V8 was causing more movement on the engine mountings, which was flexing the hoses around their necks and gradually causing them to fail close to the clamps.

0 0 0

4. Re: New to the a8 4.2 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That is were the holes were near the clamp. Audi say this part has been re-designed new part number, so maybe they have had a few. shame really as its a top engine that if ran dry of coolant due to a small pipe would cost big ££££s to put right.

0 0 0

5. Re: New to the a8 4.2 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All done, new pipe and I treated her to a set of front disc and pads, also new wheel bearings as the front driver side had play within it. This has sorted the "clicking" when turning the steering wheels.

Could not find any air bleeding screws on the coolant pipe work? After 2.5 litres of coolant and letting the coolant settle in the pipes it seems fine.

Have a few codes for to post regarding a mirror fault and rear door. Will post later.

Thx all.

0 0 0

6. Re: New to the a8 4.2 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Spoke on the phone to Audi today to order the air suspension relay, they didn't really have a clue what I was on about! I put it down to the fact they have a new lad on the service desk so I said I would get back to him with the part number.

So does any of you fellow A8 owners have the correct part number for what I believe is relay 373 or J403? I am working away at the moment so I am trying to order the relay for when I am home to prevent any future problems for the sake of a 5 min fix....

I would of asked the wife to have a peak under the carpet, but she would probably cut the carpet with the scissors!!

Thx.

0 0 0

7. Re: New to the a8 4.2 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I replaced mine last week as a precaution.

The new one (645) is bigger.....

Very, very easy job.
    Less than 5 mins from opening the door to closing it.

1 0 0

8. Re: New to the a8 4.2 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quality, thanks for the quick post, I can order in the morning and fit it on the week end..

0 0 0

9. Re: New to the a8 4.2 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info regarding the link for my gear box. Had it done on Thursday, new oil, filter and gasket. £152 all in. The Mechanic said it was very clean but for my piece of mind its done and stamped in the service book.

Thanks.

0 0 0

10. Re: New to the a8 4.2 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you mentioned 5min job... is it easily accessible or it needs trim removal etc? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M3 Compact View Post
    I replaced mine last week as a precaution.

The new one (645) is bigger.....

Very, very easy job.
    Less than 5 mins from opening the door to closing it.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast