Notices
 

  

User Tag List

Thread: Enable Online Traffic Data

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 128
  1. Enable Online Traffic Data 
    #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bath, UK
    Posts
    390
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My car has the Technology Package. This gives the Audi music interface (AMI) in the front centre armrest, the Colour Driver's Information System (DIS), the MMI Navigation Plus including MMI Touch, and Mobile telephone preparation High with online services.
    In the slot in the dashboard is a data SIM card. This has always worked fine for the WiFi access point hotspot, the Google Maps send-to-car, the Audi Connect Weather/FuelPrices/etc., the Google Earth Navigation display, etc. However the car has never had Online Traffic Data.
    When I scrolled down the list of sources in INFO>SETTINGS, I only got the TMC and TP options. The Online Traffic Data option that should be on the bottom of the list was missing for some reason .

    To fix this you need to use VCDS:
    [Select]
    [5F - Information Electr.]
    [Adaptation - 10]
    Select Channel 69 and Read
    change the value from 8 to 32768 then Test then Save
    Reboot the MMI (Press MENU, central MMI knob and top right softkey)

    Then when you go into the list of sources in INFO>SETTINGS, you will now have the additional items of “Online Traffic Data” and “Online Traffic Data License”.



    Scroll down to “Online Traffic Data License” and select it.



    The system will then check your traffic data license.



    The system will return to you that a license to use online traffic data is available. Select to active it now.



    The system will then ask you to activate online traffic data. Select to activate it.



    The system will then activate for you with a license for 36 months. I don’t yet know what happens or how much you need to pay in 3 years time!



    When you return to the Navigation Map, you will see that the usual text in the bottom left corner of “TMC” has been replaced with “Online”. In the settings we have still got TMC data enabled, but the car is giving us the icon for Online traffic data as that is a higher priority.


    (In this image we're still in the 'standard' option for “Map display” with only the TMC traffic data overlaid onto the map, but now have the different icon in the bottom left corner).

    In the Navigation settings, there is now a new option under “Map display” of “traffic”.



    If you choose the “traffic” option for “map display”, your map will look like this.


    Notice the red and green highlighting of the roads that we didn't use to have with only TMC traffic data.

    If you choose the “Google Earth” option for “map display”, your map will look like this.


    Notice the red and green highlighting of the roads. Remember that this car has always had Google Earth as a map display option, but previously the roads were not highlighted with traffic colours.

    In the Navigation settings, there are now two new options under “Map content” of “Free flow of traffic” and “Traffic obstructions”.


    I'm not yet sure whether I like the green highlighting for “Free flow of traffic”, and might leave it only with the red highlighting for “Traffic obstructions”.

    That’s it – you now have Online Traffic Data working! Thanks to a thread over in the A7 forum where I read some of the details for this.
    I don’t know why this wasn’t already enabled on my car and needed VCDS to enable it. I also don't yet know what happens in three years time... I presume that Audi will want money for it?

    I think that this Online Traffic Data is the same feed as used on the Google Maps website, but I haven't yet confirmed it.
     
    5 4 0
     

  2. Re: Enable Online Traffic Data 
    #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westyfield2 View Post
    My car has the Technology Package. This gives the Audi music interface (AMI) in the front centre armrest, the Colour Driver's Information System (DIS), the MMI Navigation Plus including MMI Touch, and Mobile telephone preparation High with online services.
    In the slot in the dashboard is a data SIM card. This has always worked fine for the WiFi access point hotspot, the Google Maps send-to-car, the Audi Connect Weather/FuelPrices/etc., the Google Earth Navigation display, etc. However the car has never had Online Traffic Data.
    When I scrolled down the list of sources in INFO>SETTINGS, I only got the TMC and TP options. The Online Traffic Data option that should be on the bottom of the list was missing for some reason .

    To fix this you need to use VCDS:
    [Select]
    [5F - Information Electr.]
    [Adaptation - 10]
    Select Channel 69 and Read
    change the value from 8 to 32768 then Test then Save
    Reboot the MMI (Press MENU, central MMI knob and top right softkey)

    Then when you go into the list of sources in INFO>SETTINGS, you will now have the additional items of “Online Traffic Data” and “Online Traffic Data License”.



    Scroll down to “Online Traffic Data License” and select it.



    The system will then check your traffic data license.



    The system will return to you that a license to use online traffic data is available. Select to active it now.



    The system will then ask you to activate online traffic data. Select to activate it.



    The system will then activate for you with a license for 36 months. I don’t yet know what happens or how much you need to pay in 3 years time!



    When you return to the Navigation Map, you will see that the usual text in the bottom left corner of “TMC” has been replaced with “Online”. In the settings we have still got TMC data enabled, but the car is giving us the icon for Online traffic data as that is a higher priority.


    (In this image we're still in the 'standard' option for “Map display” with only the TMC traffic data overlaid onto the map, but now have the different icon in the bottom left corner).

    In the Navigation settings, there is now a new option under “Map display” of “traffic”.



    If you choose the “traffic” option for “map display”, your map will look like this.


    Notice the red and green highlighting of the roads that we didn't use to have with only TMC traffic data.

    If you choose the “Google Earth” option for “map display”, your map will look like this.


    Notice the red and green highlighting of the roads. Remember that this car has always had Google Earth as a map display option, but previously the roads were not highlighted with traffic colours.

    In the Navigation settings, there are now two new options under “Map content” of “Free flow of traffic” and “Traffic obstructions”.


    I'm not yet sure whether I like the green highlighting for “Free flow of traffic”, and might leave it only with the red highlighting for “Traffic obstructions”.

    That’s it – you now have Online Traffic Data working! Thanks to a thread over in the A7 forum where I read some of the details for this.
    I don’t know why this wasn’t already enabled on my car and needed VCDS to enable it. I also don't yet know what happens in three years time... I presume that Audi will want money for it?

    I think that this Online Traffic Data is the same feed as used on the Google Maps website, but I haven't yet confirmed it.

    Thanks for for this, I've had mine just over a week and thought I had set up online traffic properly, having seen yours I now realise mine wasn't displaying properly, I will set this up tomorrow.did all the activation but it wasn't showing as on,June on the bottom left, it still had the TP/TMC wording.
     
    0 0 0
     

  3. Re: Enable Online Traffic Data 
    #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,390
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Is there any cost to this? Or free for first 36months?
     
    0 0 0
     

  4. Re: Enable Online Traffic Data 
    #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    basingstoke,england
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks for this, just realised that I didn't have it set up, now all enabled as you show but I didn't need to do the vcds bit.
    Interested to see what happens in 3 years time!

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    2016 A6 Avant 2.0 tdi Quattro Black Edition
    2013 A6 Avant 2.0 tdi Black Edition ​gone
    2010 A6 Avant 2.0 TDI Le Mans. gone.
     
    0 0 0
     

  5. Re: Enable Online Traffic Data 
    #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bath, UK
    Posts
    390
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo78 View Post
    Is there any cost to this? Or free for first 36months?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMILEMAN View Post
    Interested to see what happens in 3 years time!
    It's free for the first 3 years... but no one knows what happens after that.

    I assume our renewal cost for Audi Connect will be less than the Americans pay, as our version uses our own data package (SIM in the dash or RSAP Bluetooth phone) whereas the Americans have a Audi branded SIM embedded inside the car that they have to use.
     
    0 0 0
     

  6. Re: Enable Online Traffic Data 
    #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,134
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westyfield2 View Post
    It's free for the first 3 years... but no one knows what happens after that.

    I assume our renewal cost for Audi Connect will be less than the Americans pay, as our version uses our own data package (SIM in the dash or RSAP Bluetooth phone) whereas the Americans have a Audi branded SIM embedded inside the car that they have to use.
    Not sure that is correct. In the US you get 6 months Audi Connect for free (on all cars other than A3 this is via T-Mobile on the A3 it is with AT&T) after which you have to pay, but there are many instances of people on the Audiworld site junking the Audi supplied SIM and using another third party SIM with lower data charges. No Audi's come with an embedded SIM and the US were actually ahead of the European cars from launch as they had the option to have a phone connected via Bluetooth and use the dashboard SIM slot for data simultaneously. This was dictated by the lack of removable SIM in phones operating on the Verizon network and not having this would have seriously limited the appeal of the cars in the US.
     
    0 0 0
     

  7. Re: Enable Online Traffic Data 
    #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bath, UK
    Posts
    390
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsimcox View Post
    the US you get 6 months Audi Connect for free (on all cars other than A3 this is via T-Mobile on the A3 it is with AT&T) after which you have to pay, but there are many instances of people on the Audiworld site junking the Audi supplied SIM and using another third party SIM with lower data charges.
    Ah right, thanks for clarifying. Seems good then that we get 3 years of Online Traffic data for free, and only have to pay for the data SIM .
     
    0 0 0
     

  8. Re: Enable Online Traffic Data 
    #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westyfield2 View Post
    Ah right, thanks for clarifying. Seems good then that we get 3 years of Online Traffic data for free, and only have to pay for the data SIM .
    Quick question, I have all of this enabled on mine without the need for VCDS and get get to Audi Connect services using the SIM, I have turned online traffic on and my licence if valid to May 2017 which means it activated okay. I have the map set to Traffic display.

    I never see the little ONLINE icon in the bottom left on the map like you have, I'm dubious as to whether the online traffic is actually working despite it all being enabled.

    The car is only a week old so I believe I don't need to do the VCDS trick or am I wrong.
     
    0 0 0
     

  9. Re: Enable Online Traffic Data 
    #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bath, UK
    Posts
    390
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sw1000 View Post
    Quick question, I have all of this enabled on mine without the need for VCDS and get get to Audi Connect services using the SIM, I have turned online traffic on and my licence if valid to May 2017 which means it activated okay. I have the map set to Traffic display.

    I never see the little ONLINE icon in the bottom left on the map like you have, I'm dubious as to whether the online traffic is actually working despite it all being enabled.

    The car is only a week old so I believe I don't need to do the VCDS trick or am I wrong.
    Is the SIM data definitely working and not just showing you a cached page? I had an error at one point yesterday about Online Traffic data not being available, and anything connected to the cars WiFi hotspot wouldn't work. Turned out that I'd run out of credit on the PAYG SIM.
     
    0 0 0
     

  10. Re: Enable Online Traffic Data 
    #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

    Definitely working as I can access online services via Audi Connect, it's a brand new car from EE with 6gb of data.

    Do you have to enter a destination before it shows up the symbol on the bottom left, TP is showing.
     
    0 0 0
     

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Online Traffic Data
    By skibuddy in forum Audi A6 - C7 Forum - 2011- 2018
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-10-2015, 11:52 AM
  2. VCDS logging data traffic
    By LA9SHA in forum VCDS - General Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 05:27 PM
  3. Traffic Data Message
    By Greyanglia in forum Audi A6 - C7 Forum - 2011- 2018
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-01-2014, 11:22 PM
  4. Audi Online Traffic + Google Street View
    By TopherGeorge in forum A7 - S7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




  



Disclaimer: VW Audi Forum is an "independant enthusiast website", administered in line with guidelines supplied by VAG in the UK, and is in no way related to any of the Worldwide Volkswagen,Audi,Seat,Skoda,Bentley,Bugatti,Porsche or Lamborghini group of Companies. For official up to date information on any of there vehicles, please visit the official websites. Any comments made throughout this website, are the views of the respective poster, and in no way represent the views of the VW Audi Forum Administration, or the worldwide Volkswagen & Audi Group of companies.


VW Audi Forum do not vet and are not responsible for any information which is posted in this forum. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and we do not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.


Copyright: Certain "words", "phrases" and "Images" used on this website by the Administration are "Copyright" of Volkswagen GB, Volkswagen AG (Germany), Audi GB, Audi AG (Germany), Volkswagen Motorsport GB, Volkswagen Motorsport AG (Germany), Audi Motorsport AG (Germany), Volkswagen Racing GB, Bentley, Bugatti, Porsche and Lamborghini. No image can be replicated by anyone WITHOUT the relevant Companies written permission.


All trademarks and copyrights remain property of their respective owners.

No part of the VW Audi Forum website or forum may be reproduced without written permission from the site administration


PLEASE NOTE - PERSONAL ABUSE, ABUSE AGAINST THIS OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE OR ANY COMPANY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. OFFENDERS WILL BE MODERATED OR EVEN BANNED.


This website and forum are best viewed at a minimum resolution of 1024 by 768.



  



- VW AUDI Forum - The #1 Volkswagen (VW) Group Forum - Volkswagen (VW) - Audi - Seat - Skoda - Bentley - Bugatti - Lamborghini - Porsche - VW Audi Forum -


- www.vwaudiforum.co.uk - www.vwaudiforum.co.uk -