Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys, had a quick look around and couldn't see any similar threads, so sorry if this is a stupid question or has been answered before., I'm a bit new to all this.
    I recently bought a 2010 Polo but it only came with two standard keys, the central locking fob has either been lost or just wasn't bought as an option in the first place. What are the options as to getting one that will work with the car?
    I understand it will need to be "paired" effectively with the central locking module or whatever it is, but I've seen things like replacement kits that can be fitted to the ECU and control the central locking that way, with the key cut for the ignition barrel and the transponder put inside the fob. Will I be able to just buy a universal fob and then get the key cut, put the transponder in and pay someone to link it up with the central locking? Or is it more complicated and costly than that?
    I've heard VW charge many hundreds of pounds for this sort of thing so I'd rather live without it than pay that much.

0 0 0

2. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Hey there, I think what you want is a remote central locking kit. Here is a link to a kit I've used in the past :- http://tinyurl.com/ot7ezgm
    The fob shows a boot release button. That won't work on a Polo, but it will lock & unlock the doors, and costs less than a tenner.

Here is a link to a thread relating to installing remote locking to the 9N Polo : How To Remote Central Locking Addition to an 02 Polo
    Your 2010 Polo will be a 6R model, is that right? (Chassis No. WVWZZZ6RZ.....?) If so, the posts in the above thread talk about a 180 Ohm resistor when fitting the kit to the older 9N model Polo.
    The unit is wired up in the same way on the 6R, but the value of the resistor is different. Off the top of my head, I can't remember what value you will need to make it work on a 6R Polo, but I'll check
    my notes at work tomorrow and let you know. If your handy with a screw driver and soldering iron, then have a go at the installation yourself. If not, I'd find a local auto electrical company to do it.
    Someone who knows what they're doing should be able to install the kit in less than an hour, so budget for an hours labour if your getting someone else to do the install.

Regards.

Jim.

0 0 0

3. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the reply, yeah it is a 6R model. I'm fairly confident with soldering and things so provided there's some useful instructions or a wiring diagram about I'd be able to do it myself. Not too fussed about the boot release, as presumably it will just unlock with the doors so I can just press unlock and then go and use the VW badge as I normally would.
    I've seen kits like that before, though I'd probably go for a slightly more expensive one which has a proper flip key fob so I have the option of putting the existing key and transponder in it and only having to carry around one fob. I've heard about that you need a resistor somewhere, so If you could let me the necessary resistance that'd be great.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    The resistor you need on the 6R is 1K Ohm 0.25 or 0.6 Watt.
    The diagram on the other thread shows how to connect the resistor.

Jim.

0 0 0

5. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Some additional info on the 6R Polo remote locking installation.
    I've attached a diagram of the O/S door wiring that can be accessed from within the O/S foot well.
    The only wire that isn't there that you may need is an ignition supply. You'd have to route a wire into the fuse box if your locking kit has an ignition wire.
    To wire the indicators I'd connect to the indicator wire on each door (pin 3), so you'd have to route a wire across the dash to the N/S foot well.
    I also looked at connecting all the wires at the body control unit, but it looked a bit awkward. It would make a neater job but I think it would be easier and quicker to route the other indicator wire behind the dash to the N/S door.

Hope the diagram helps.

Jim.

6R_Polo_DoorWiring.jpg

0 0 0

6. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that, the diagram will come in useful I'm sure. Where is this going to be in the footwell, as in what bits of trim need to come off to access it?
    Still not completely sure where I'd be able to hide away the control box for the remote locking
    Presumably it needs the ignition/switched live to prevent the doors from locking or something when the ignition is on or something.

0 0 0

7. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    You can see the wires without taking anything off but it would probably be easier to connect onto the wires if you removed the footwell trim.
    If the control box for the kit you buy isn't too big, you could probably place it behind the trim when you refit it. Or you could remove the dashboard end cap and secure the box to the dash frame.
    I can't remember if the remote locking kit I fitted had an ignition supply. I don't think it would be really necessary anyway. The doors locking while the ignition is on would be no big deal. On many VWs, the doors lock when you start to drive anyway.

Jim.

0 0 0

8. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Finally getting around to doing this, it doesn't have an ignition supply, just 12V. I've attached a picture of the wires from the control unit, when it's set up to use a negative trigger.
    Am I correct in thinking if I connect the GND and -12V wires all up to the same point, then the lock and unlock wires using the resistor, it will all work correctly? And obviously the +12V to the power supply and the indicators to the correct point. I'm not sure about a siren or that the windows wind up when its locked, and same with the trunk release, so I probably won't use those.

central locking control unit.jpg

0 0 0

9. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10POLO View Post
    Finally getting around to doing this, it doesn't have an ignition supply, just 12V. I've attached a picture of the wires from the control unit, when it's set up to use a negative trigger.
    Am I correct in thinking if I connect the GND and -12V wires all up to the same point, then the lock and unlock wires using the resistor, it will all work correctly?
    Yeah, that sounds about right. I wouldn't bother about boot release, windows or the siren wires. Just cut and insulate them.
    It's a bit odd that it has a -12V. I assume that's just a translation error when the English instructions were printed and you'd be OK to connect it along with the GND wires.

Jim.

0 0 0

10. Re: 2010 Polo Remote Central Locking (Replacement/Installation) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's more that the instructions are labelled with all the +12V etc seperate from the locking wires. There's a main diagram with the last 6 wires just labelled "locking wires", then 3 seperate diagrams depending on the set-up (whether its positive or negative triggered or some other method I don't remember) and on those diagrams there is the ground symbol, whereas on the main diagram it is +12V and -12V connected to the battery.
    I've found what I'm pretty sure if the connector I need, just need to get the trim off to be able to get at it better. If I find the wires I need, cut them and then re-attach with the bits from the control box, will it all be fine?
    As in it won't flash up error messages because the lock motors were disconnected etc?

1 0 0

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast