Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Found the info I had....

The windshield is an important optical component of the head-up display. Because the display image is also reflected by the windshield, its function represents a third mirror.
    A standard windshield can create a disruptive double image.
    The windshield of a vehicle with the head-up display differs from a conventional windshield in that the PVB foil (polyvinyl butyral) between the two flat glass panes of a head-up windshield is not a constant thickness.
    A head-up windshield has a slight wedge shape, so the thickness of the windshield increases slightly in an upward direction. This wedge shape eliminates the potential for double images.
    The tolerances for windshield installation are very tight for a vehicle with head-up display.

Optical System
    The head-up display is generated by backlighting with 15 LEDs a high resolution TFT display, which is a matrix of Thin Film Transistors.
    The display’s function is similar to that of a
    slide projector. Light rays are projected via two deflection mirrors onto the windshield. One of the two mirrors is adjustable and is used for height adjustment of the display. This adapts the position of the head-up image to the seating position or body size of the driver.
    The mirrors also correct any image distortion caused by curvature of the windshield.
    The light intensity of the displayed image is continuously adapted to current ambient lighting conditions. To do this, Windshield Projection Head Up Display Control Module J898 evaluates luminosity values from Rain/Light Recognition Sensor G397.
    The driver can adjust the brightness of the display according to their needs. This is done through the MMI and the system controls located on the vehicle light switch.
    The light intensity is configured so the display also remains easily legible in direct sunlight.

Ive also got the calibration procedure if anyone is interested. Will need to be emailed though as there are a lot of pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

2. Re: HUD not in focus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    M1tchy

Hopefully it won't be required but stand fast on that pending the new screen on Saturday.
    2013 A7, S-line Quattro Tiptronic, Havanna Black, Tech Pack Advanced, Bose, 4-zone climate with heated rear seats, Adaptive Headlights, Rear View Camera, Through-load and storage pack.

0 0 0

3. Re: HUD not in focus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Will do! ;-)

Just drop me a PM if you want the info and I'll send it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

4. Re: HUD not in focus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks M1tchy I will do if required.
    2013 A7, S-line Quattro Tiptronic, Havanna Black, Tech Pack Advanced, Bose, 4-zone climate with heated rear seats, Adaptive Headlights, Rear View Camera, Through-load and storage pack.

0 0 0

5. Re: HUD not in focus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    from what i have been told since by both Autoglass and Audi, only a genuine Audi screen will be 100%. its easy to spot one, it has the audi logo next to the screens part number in the bottom corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
    Timely post, picked up a chip last Friday and Auto Windscreens are coming yo house to replace on Saturday. I'll certainly have a good check on focus once new screen us in. They have no excuse though as I phoned the branch specifically to let them know the options: HUD, lane assist high beam etc. in fairness the chap I was speaking with also mentioned the acoustic glass which I had forgotten so fingers crossed it'll all be fine.

0 0 0

6. Re: HUD not in focus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would like to see the calibration procedure, i will also show it to the dealer who still tells me it cannot be done !

0 0 0

7. Re: HUD not in focus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Drop me a PM with your email address and I will forward it to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

8. Re: HUD not in focus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Disappointingly still have a chipped windscreen as the flexible printed circuit at the top of the new windscreen (for connecting the rain/light sensor and lane depart camera) was damaged. Luckily discovered before old screen removed, hopefully have better luck next Saturday.
    Attached Images

0 0 0

9. Re: HUD not in focus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Well that was lucky! Just before I went to Afghanistan last year, the wives A5 had a cracked screen so auto glass came to fix it, cut the old one out and then lined up the new one to find it was from the old A5! They came back a few days later with another one but it was for an A4! so her car was left with no screen while we went to Afghan and a friend had to sort it for us! There are so many screens out there and so many optional extras fitted, it must be near impossible to get right these days.

0 0 0

10. Re: HUD not in focus 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks to Chris (M1tchy) for the tech info, what a mine of information this is on all the techy bits including the HUD, of this amazing car, right up my street and so well written

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast