Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

MyA4 1.9tdi 130 pd AWX 2001 is due another cambelt change having completed 259000 miles. It's my third since owning the car and it has a hydraulic tensioner.

Should the garage always replace the tensioner with the cambelt as it adds quite a lot of cost to the cambelt change?

I've been quoted £440 for:

Cambelt
    Hydraulic tensioner
    Water pump
    Coolant flush and change
    Including labour

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 1.9tdi 130 Cambelt change Do I need to change hydraulic tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I always do because it's cheap insurance and gives peace of mind. If it goes, it's the same thing as the belt snapping, and that would have paid for quiet a few tensioners.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

1 0 0

3. Re: A4 1.9tdi 130 Cambelt change Do I need to change hydraulic tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    £440 is expensive, I paid £250 last August for the same inc parts & labour.
    B6 A4 Avant 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decatted, remapped to 165bhp, EGR delete, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy's, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cool Glove Box, Parking Sensors, Rear privacy glass.
    Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR 3 door Lima Green.

1 0 0

4. Re: A4 1.9tdi 130 Cambelt change Do I need to change hydraulic tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Over the last couple of years I've done three of these, all family cars. Yes I always change the tensioner as TBH it could prove to be foolish and expensive not to. As has been stated if the tensioner goes south then chances are the timing belt will slip or jump and cause serious engine damage. I also preach the sermon of using genuine Audi parts at this point. I know too many people who have saved a few quid now in order to spend hundreds of pounds repairing the car once again later on.

Out of interest have you asked Audi to do your TB change for you? Don't they have a fixed price for this job? From memory I thought it was less than £440

1 0 0

5. Re: A4 1.9tdi 130 Cambelt change Do I need to change hydraulic tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you are doing this yourself, remember if the locking pin comes out and the piston extends at its most you will not get it back in.
    A6 2.0 tdi Auto 2008 Facelift.

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 1.9tdi 130 Cambelt change Do I need to change hydraulic tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorsage View Post
    Hi,

MyA4 1.9tdi 130 pd AWX 2001 is due another cambelt change having completed 259000 miles. It's my third since owning the car and it has a hydraulic tensioner.

Should the garage always replace the tensioner with the cambelt as it adds quite a lot of cost to the cambelt change?

I've been quoted £440 for:

Cambelt
    Hydraulic tensioner
    Water pump
    Coolant flush and change
    Including labour

Thanks
    Respect for the mileage! Have you owned since new?

0 0 0

7. Re: A4 1.9tdi 130 Cambelt change Do I need to change hydraulic tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonzo View Post
    Respect for the mileage! Have you owned since new?
    I've had it since 2005 an it had 60,000 on the clock. Its mostly motorway miles and I 've had my money's worth out of it. I doubt it's worth much but I think regular oil changes help.

0 0 0

8. Re: A4 1.9tdi 130 Cambelt change Do I need to change hydraulic tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorsage View Post
    I've had it since 2005 an it had 60,000 on the clock. Its mostly motorway miles and I 've had my money's worth out of it. I doubt it's worth much but I think regular oil changes help.
    I reckon you have definitely had your money's worth. You've got to keep going with it out of curiosity for how many miles it can clock up, surely?

0 0 0

9. Re: A4 1.9tdi 130 Cambelt change Do I need to change hydraulic tensioner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Hi, i have just done my cam belt and tensioner and i did replace the waterpump and the Hydraulic damper assembly, this damper was not replaced at the first cam belt change which was done at 60K, but i have just done the second cam belt change at 100K and replaced everything.

Its your shout really, but me being me, i felt 100K intervals for hydraulic damper is the most i would do. I got everything genuine Audi from TPS, i think the damper was £84 or there abouts, so small cost really for a biggish job.

0 0 0

10. Re: A4 1.9tdi 130 Cambelt change Do I need to change hydraulic tensioner 
    Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by green A8 View Post
    Over the last couple of years I've done three of these, all family cars. Yes I always change the tensioner as TBH it could prove to be foolish and expensive not to. As has been stated if the tensioner goes south then chances are the timing belt will slip or jump and cause serious engine damage. I also preach the sermon of using genuine Audi parts at this point. I know too many people who have saved a few quid now in order to spend hundreds of pounds repairing the car once again later on.

Out of interest have you asked Audi to do your TB change for you? Don't they have a fixed price for this job? From memory I thought it was less than £440
    Cambelt is £430 fixed price but that is the basic belt kit and won't include the hydraulic tensioner, nor does it include water pump which adds £140 to it (they say they "check" to see if the water pump needs replacing - which we all know it does, but don't replace it unless you ask for it) and then there's coolant to add to it. If I recall correctly, I walked away when they gave me a figure of headed towards £700 for the job....

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast