Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf MkIV V5 Fuel Pump Not Running (AGZ Engine)

1. Golf MkIV V5 Fuel Pump Not Running (AGZ Engine) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my 1999 Golf V5 and was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice.

The car has been off the road for quite a few months with the battery disconnected. When I re-connected it, the central locking would not work from the key fob (although the indicator lights flashed when the button on the key fob was pressed), but it did lock/unlock when the interior locking button was pressed. Also the electric windows would not work (none of them). Coupled with this, the car would not start and it appeared that the fuel pump was not working (by the way, the yellow immobiliser light in the dash comes on initially and then goes off as normal).

After leaving the battery connected for a few hours, the central locking suddenly began to work from the key fob and so did the electric windows (I believe that the battery in the anti-theft module had gone flat and needed time to charge up). However, the fuel pump still resolutely refuses to run.

I have checked the fuse in the fuse box and this is ok. I can measure 12V on it for about a second or so when the ignition is first turned on and then continuously when cranking. I checked the voltage at the fuel pump and it only reads 0V. I have measured the continuity between the fuse and the pump, and it shows open circuit.

If I remove the plug on the fuel pump and connect a 12V power source directly to it, the pump runs and I can start the engine.

Is there any sort of immobiliser that cuts off the fuel pump on these cars?? Perhaps something that may have de-activated itself during the long period of not having the battery connected??

I have VCDS and this does not show any error codes. The car started before the battery was disconnected a few months ago and nothing has changed with the car wiriing except re-connecting the battery. I have checked the fuse and wiring in the fuse box and everything seems to be connected correctly. The wiring colour code in the vehicle is very different from either the Haynes or ELsaWin wiring diagrams and the fuel pump fuse on this car is in position 29 and not 28 as is normal.

I am not aware of any third party immobiliser on the vehicle. It just has a normal VW remote locking keyfob.

Any suggestions of what to look at next would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Mike

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf MkIV V5 Fuel Pump Not Running (AGZ Engine) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    There is a relay under the steering wheel which should have 409 written on it which covers the fuel pump. On the computer it may come back as locked. They are about £55 from VW. They give problems in the MK4.
    One thing I was thinking was that there may be a emergency fuel cut off as a safety measure.
    I am no expert, so I don't want to try and advise you, just going by an experience I had with my Golf.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by belfastmark; 17-07-2012 at 10:36 AM.

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf MkIV V5 Fuel Pump Not Running (AGZ Engine) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

Many thanks for replying to my post and apologies for the delay in getting back to you as I have been away on holiday for the past two weeks.

I have checked the output from relay 409 to the fuse panel and it produces 12 volts for a second or so when the ignition is first switched on and then continuous 12V whilst cranking. I soldered a wire onto a spare fuse and inserted it into the Fuel Pump fuse position, then ran the wire directly to the Fuel Pump. Sure enough, the pump runs for a second or so when the ignition is turned on and then continuously whilst cranking as expected and the engine starts with no problem.

As far as I can tell, there is no emergency fuel cut-off in this model of Golf (unless anyone on the forum knows any different???)

What I really need is an accurate wiring diagram for this car. The diagrams that I have do not seem to be correct as they all show the fuse connecting directly to the pump and have different wiring colours.

Is there anyone on the forum who can help with a wiring diagram, please???

Regards,
    Mike

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf MkIV V5 Fuel Pump Not Running (AGZ Engine) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Problem Solved !!!!!

I have finally had time to resolve this problem and so I thought I would post my findings in case it helps someone else in the future.

This proved to be two separate faults!!

Firstly, the fuel pump fault turned out to be a blown fuse after all. My fuse box lid diagram is a direct mirror image of the actual fuse box itself and the 15A fuse that I thought was the fuel pump was by coincidence an engine management fuse which mimicked the expected voltage behaviour of a fuel pump fuse (ie it shows voltage for a second after ignition tuned on and then goes off). This is why I wrongly believed this to be the fuel pump fuse. Anyway after replacing the blown fuse on the "Right Hand Side" of the fuse box, and removing my temporary "feed wire" to the fuel pump, the fuel pump runs without any problems and the car starts normally.

The second fault with the electric windows and the central door locking turned out to be a broken CAN bus wire. I ran VCDS and got a fault code in the Convenience Module that said that the Convenience CAN Bus was running in "Emergency Mode" which means that it is using only one of its normal two wires. VCDS also showed in Measuring Block 12 of the Convenience Module that the CAN BUS was "Not OK". Unplugging the door control modules one by one (you have to remove the door trim panels to get to them as they are integrated into the electric window motors) showed the bus come back to life when I disconnected the rear driver's-side module. Checking the CAN BUS wiring with a multimeter between the front and rear door control modules showed the "CAN High" wire to be open circuit. The break was then traced to a corroded contact in the B-Pillar Junction Box which is located in the rubber flexible connector in the door hinge area. Disconnecting the plug and cleaning the corrosion off of the contacts completely cured the problem.

Regards
    Mike
    A7 3.0 TDI 245 Quatro SE. Daytona Grey. Comfort Seats (Heated + Ventilated), MMI Plus, HUD, Speed Limit Display, Lane Assist, Phone Prep High, Folding Heated Mirrors, Night Vision, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Lights, Parking Advanced, Four Zone Climate, Ambient Lighting.

1 0 0