1. CLutch / Dual Mass Flywheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a small amount of clutch slip most probably due to the DTUK tuning box I have fitted to my 143 Sport and usually around 2000 rpm in 4th when accelerating back to speed after dual carriageway roundabouts. I've made enquires about a replacement clutch but everyone so far seems to want to change the dual mass flywheel as well bringing the job to about £1k. As I understand it a DMF is designed to primarily absorb the vibrations in the lower gear changes at peak torque and as the car has racked up most of is 94k miles on motorway, does the DMF really need changing too?

Also is there a heavy duty clutch for the 143 TDI, possibly the one from the 170?
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.

0 0 0

2. Re: CLutch / Dual Mass Flywheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are two clutches listed for the 2.0 tdi one is 228mm diameter and one is 240mm so not sure if they are interchangable.

Is it wise to use the same flywheel it could fail soon after refitting the clutch and you would have to do it all again?

Cluch part numbers here.

Seat - EX - 2010 - Engine, Clutch Teile Katalog (Pats Catalog)

This is a good source for all your part numbers

Mike
    Exeo ST sport tech 170.

SOLD. Passat B6 SEL Estate 170, Reflex silver, Dsg, Nappa leather, Touch screen colour satnav, Bluetooth, 17" Monte Carlo alloys, Cd changer, Front/rear parking sensors, Rear view camera. Front fogs.

0 0 0

3. Re: CLutch / Dual Mass Flywheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    take the gamble. the dmf is probably fine. its probably been cooked due to the heat from a slipping clutch, so its life is limited, but it might be fine for another few mile. of course if it goes you have to hope it doesn't destroy your new clutch as well, which it may or may not do, depending on how it fails. worse case is it breaks up and comes out through the bellhousing and costs you a new gearbox as well. your money, your car, your choice.
    incidentally, all those that want to change the dmf are not trying to rip you off , rather ensure your car is reliable and you can't go knocking on their door in 3 months time when the dmf lets go.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

4. Re: CLutch / Dual Mass Flywheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a guess at your cars year. If you open the link then go to home (top left) save the link in favorites you will have a good part number source for future use. When home page shows click on english version. you can search by vin or model.

This lists parts for all VAG and BMW cars.

Mike
    Exeo ST sport tech 170.

SOLD. Passat B6 SEL Estate 170, Reflex silver, Dsg, Nappa leather, Touch screen colour satnav, Bluetooth, 17" Monte Carlo alloys, Cd changer, Front/rear parking sensors, Rear view camera. Front fogs.

1 0 0

5. Re: CLutch / Dual Mass Flywheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Mike.

A thought, as I've got a tuning box on the car would a 170 clutch DMF assembly fit on the 143? Might tolerate the torque better?
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.

0 0 0

6. Re: CLutch / Dual Mass Flywheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know if they are interchangable, I thought they were different engines, maybe someone else like Crasher can answer that.

I think you have been fortunate to get that mileage out of the clutch since you have a tuning box as well and seem to make full use of the torque available

Mike
    Exeo ST sport tech 170.

0 0 0

7. Re: CLutch / Dual Mass Flywheel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update on this, I haven't had the job done as the slip is still only in a very specific set of circumstances.

In the end for interest I asked my local Seat dealer for a cost. £299 fitted for a clutch ad £399 fitted for a flywheel.... Whole job under £700 Dealer menu pricing can be worth looking at sometimes even if we do give the dealers a hard time on the forums.

0 0 0