Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I would not trust anything other than a brand new genuine amplifier, not even any of the pattern units available, I have had trouble with these in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshthedarsh View Post
    we saw some sparks jumping across some wires inside the amp. Turned the car off straight away, looks like the wires had been too close together. Though I can't imagine this would kill the ECU and cause it not to spark anymore.
    It is a 5 volt driver, a reverse voltage of whatever it may have been could damage it.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: Misfiring v5 Bora 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes sorry, I should have mentioned that both of the replacement ignition amps were genuine VW ones. But they aren't the problem, by switching wires and looking for a spark on the spark plug - all 5 coils will fire from any of the pins on the ignition amp. It's just that (when all plugged in correctly), one pin on the ignition amp isn't getting a signal from the connector on top going into it, so it's like the ECU is only telling 4/5 of the pins to make a spark - therefore the misfire.

I tried resetting the ECU but no change. Is it possible that when I do a code read (and get a "misfire on cylinder X" - as expected) - that a simple resetting of the fault code will fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The ECT sensor is in the water housing on the side of the head that also contains the thermostat.
    Got the part, but can't for the life of me seem to find where it goes. Took out the air box to get a better view, but can't really find it. It seems to be on a different place on each variation of engine - and no guides/photos/videos are of my 2.3L. Unsurprisingly the manual for the engine doesn't actually show you where anything is.

I'm sure when I find it it'll be painfully obvious, but right now I am pretty lost.

0 0 0

3. Re: Misfiring v5 Bora 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It is under the coil pack in the huge plastic water houisng.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Misfiring v5 Bora 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers mate. Pretty simple - but there's just so much stuff in the way. Think I put everything back correctly...

Turned it on. Revs up to above 1000, engine sounded very powerful. However after a while the revs dropped to 750 and the car went back to how it has been feeling. However temperature gauge is now working again. Climbs slowly and sits at a healthy 90 in the middle. Engine told me to Stop and check the coolant as expected.

Just curious as to why it sounded so healthy when I first started the car - but now back to the misfiring symptoms. I wish I checked to see if I was getting a spark when I first started - but now I'm not.

0 0 0

5. Re: Misfiring v5 Bora 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Can you find the cars type number on the data sticker or failing that, post/PM me the VIN?

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Misfiring v5 Bora 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not too sure about the Type Number. VIN is: <removing VIN>
    Last edited by Sam; 01-04-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: removing VIN for obvious reasons

0 0 0

7. Re: Misfiring v5 Bora 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I will leave the email reminder on my work PC so I can check this tomorrow.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Misfiring v5 Bora 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The car is a type 1J2 3Q3, with an AGZ engine, FDD autobox and left the production line at Wolfsburg in Germany on 4th July 2000. It has a Motronic M3.8.3 ECU, part number 071 906 018 K.

The idle speed should be between 650 and 750 rpm

From what you describe I would be putting an oscilloscope on the wires to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 going into the amp and out, to make sure I had a signal going in and out respectively.

You say you have no spark on coil A?

This is from the manual.

Ignition coil -N-, -N128-, -N158-, -N163-, -N164-

• ◆ Marked for H.T. cables:
      E = Cylinder 1
      A = Cylinder 2
      D = Cylinder 3
      B = Cylinder 4
      C = Cylinder 5

The firing order is 1-2-4-5-3 so E, A, B, C, D.

Then I thought, woaha, hang on, has he got the cylinders going A=1 B=2 C=3 D=4 E=5 and then I thought, nahh, he can't be that daft as the leads are labelled 1-E, 2-A, 3-D, 4-B and 5-C plug/coil end appropriately.

So using this table and the wiring diagram (see below), I get it to mean the following at the coils 6 pin plug T6x from the amp output T6u.

E = Cylinder 1 = N = pin 6
    A = Cylinder 2 = N128 = pin 2
    D = Cylinder 3 = N158 = pin 5
    B = Cylinder 4 = N163 = pin 3
    C = Cylinder 5 = N164 = pin 4

For the amp input T6t from the ECU T80 the arrangement numbers are not the same IF the colour cods of the wires stay the same OR if the pins stay the same, the colour codes jumble around and there is not annotation to say which ECU pin is which cylinder or coil driver so I will stick with colour code therefore

E = Cylinder 1 = N = pin 6 to 6 (still) to 78
    A = Cylinder 2 = N128 = pin 2 to 5 to 70
    D = Cylinder 3 = N158 = pin 5 to 2 to 71
    B = Cylinder 4 = N163 = pin 3 to 4 to 77
    C = Cylinder 5 = N164 = pin 4 to 3 to 57

So in other words the ECU output would be

Cyl > ECU pin

1 > 78
    2 > 70
    3 > 71
    4 > 77
    5 > 57

If I am right!

So when you say

Quote Originally Posted by Marshthedarsh View Post
    the amp is not receiving a signal on pin 6 (from the ECU)
    I presume you mean at pin 6 on the plug going INTO the amp so pin 6 is to pin 78 and is for coil N, cylinder 1.......

Using the wiring diagram I cannot for sure say which signal wire from the ECU triggers which coil amp but it is how I have worked it out, if anyone can find a definitive M3.8.3 T80 pinout diagram to show which pins are for which cylinders it would be a huge help.

N - Ignition coil
    N122 - Power end stage
    N128 - Ignition coil 2
    N158 - Ignition coil 3
    N163 - Ignition coil 4
    N164 - Ignition coil 5
    P - Spark plug connector
    Q - Spark plug
    T6t - 6 pin connector
    T6u - 6 pin connector
    T6x - 6 pin connector
    10a - 10 pin connector, in the cable channel, left side
    85 - Earth connection -1-, in engine compartment wiring loom
    A104 - Positive connection -2- (15), in dash panel wiring harness
    D52 - Positive connection (15a), in engine compartment wiring loom
    G2 Coolant temperature sender (01039)
    G40 Hall sender (00515-2113)
    G62 Sender for coolant temperature (00522-2312)
    220 Control unit for motronic
    N79 Heater element (crankcase breather)
    N156 Intake manifold change-over valve (01243-4333)
    T6l 6 pin connector, brown, on the protective housing, on the water case, left side
    T10a 10 pin connector, in the cable channel, left side
    T80 80 pin connector
    85 Earth connection -1-, in engine compartment wiring loom
    220 Earth connection (sender earth), in engine wiring loom
    A100 Connection -2- (87), in dash panel wiring harness
    A104 Positive connection -2- (15), in dash panel wiring harness
    D101 Connection -1-, in engine compartment wiring loom
    D102 Connection -2-, in engine compartment wiring loom

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Misfiring v5 Bora 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate, sorry but been busy for the last week and didn't realise I'd gotten a reply.

Got a code scanner, and got a few first up.

Engine: 00668
    00525 = 02 Sensor - Voltage Low - G39
    00635 = Oxygen Sensor Heating Circuit - Ahead of Catalytic Convertor

A/T: 00518 = Throttle Position Sensor - Signal out of range (G69). Also check for loose ECM Power Relay.

SRS: 00532 = Transmission Control Module Relay - Supply Voltage (B+) Malfunction Low Battery of Bad Ground

ABS: 00688

00688 is just the usual battery one if I'm not mistaken.

Cleared them all and when I started up the car the idle was back up to above 1000 for about a min before dropping back to 750. Just like it did when I replaced the ECT.

Went for a short drive, only two that came back were: 00525 = 02 Sensor - Voltage Low - G39
    00635 = Oxygen Sensor Heating Circuit - Ahead of Catalytic Convertor

But of course the others may reappear after a while.

So does this mean the 02 sensor needs replacing? Though I don't imagine it's causing the misfire. Still getting prominent sparks on B C D E but nothing from A. All the leads are in the right order.

0 0 0

10. Re: Misfiring v5 Bora 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The correct VW descriptions for those codes and the variations are

00635 Lambda probe heating in front of catalyst

a) Open circuit/short to earth = Wiring open circuit or short to earth or G39 defective
    b) Short to positive = Wire has short to positive

00525 Lambda probe G39

a) No signal = G39 defective or Lambda probe heating defective or Wiring open circuit
    b) Short circuit to positive = Short circuit to positive in wiring or G39
    c)
    Short circuit to earth = Short circuit to earth in wiring or G39 or Fuel tank empty

​Your machines descriptions don't match very well. Check fuse 43 but I suspect you need a new pre cat lambda sensor. Fit one, clear the codes and go from there.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast