1. Clutch Time Take 2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I too think that I’ll have to fork out for a new clutch kit.
    Mine is a 58 plate tdi 143 re-mapped to 170, it has done 68k. I bought it last April with 61k on it and still has until April left on my 1 year warranty .
    To me it sounds like a thrust bearing, it has a rattle only at the bite point and not all the time. The garage I now use reckons I’ll be needing a clutch kit plus duel mass flywheel. He has quoted me £300 for labour , then whatever I can get the parts for.

Does this sound about right guy’s.

0 0 0

2. Re: Clutch Time Take 2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's if it is thrust bearing... But I shouldn't think you will need to change the dual mass at that kind of mileage to be honest.

0 0 0

3. Re: Clutch Time Take 2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AvantB5CJ View Post
    That's if it is thrust bearing... But I shouldn't think you will need to change the dual mass at that kind of mileage to be honest.
    My DMF was shot when I bought the car with 67k on the clock - apparently the clutch & DMF on the B8 are only just a bit harder than cheese.

Lang may yer lum reek!

Current: '09 Audi A4 Avant SE TDI (143)
    Previous: '56 VW Passat 2.0TDI SE - I survived 'BKP' ownership!

0 0 0

4. Re: Clutch Time Take 2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I could go with cheese for a clutch I put a tuning box on my 143 and the clutch slipped constantly an in the end put the boost sensor out and the car into limp

0 0 0

5. Re: Clutch Time Take 2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haha cheese! Well then it might be worth doing as the box will be out.

0 0 0

6. Re: Clutch Time Take 2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think if the box has to be split, for piece of mind I would rather pay the extra and get the kit plus dmf done at the same time if they are as bad as folk say.

0 0 0

7. Re: Clutch Time Take 2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just booked my 58 TDi 143 in as the clutch bearing has completely gone and making a terrible noise. I have lived with it for the last 3k miles but sounds ready to break up completely now. The car is great and we bought it new with everything we wanted so makes sense to keep it but pretty disappointed in this low mileage failure

While the box is out I will replace the clutch and DMF and have the gearbox oil changed. The bad news for me is that the car has only done 45K and the clutch/DMF is unlikely to need changing but it makes sense to do so while it is all out. My regular and trusted garage (North Hertfordshire) has quoted £1050 in total which includes £310 for the DMF, approx £100 for the clutch (Sachs) and then new bolts, oil, labour and VAT make up the rest. They use standard job times for the quote and it may be slightly less if they manage to do the job quicker.
    2015 Floret silver A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport 150 COD
    2005 Liquid Blue A3 Sportback 2 litre FSI SE

0 0 0

8. Re: Clutch Time Take 2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rd1 View Post
    ?..I will replace the clutch and DMF and have the gearbox oil changed. The bad news for me is that the car has only done 45K and the clutch/DMF is unlikely to need changing
    Hmmm...that would be interesting. After all, you do have any early 143 and they are renowned. My avant managed 30k before the DMF called it a day. Defo think you are doing the right thing by changing it out.
    A5 (Cabriolet) 2.0 TDI 177PS S-Line - Scuba blue, Technology pack (high), B&O soundsystem, Bluetooth (low), Heated seats, Autoglym life shine.

0 1 0

9. Re: Clutch Time Take 2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well phoned the warranty company and told them that our mechanic thinks the DMF needs replacing, they said that it is covered and that they need the garage to phone them with some details. Garage called us back to say they were given the go ahead and that we pay the bill, then the warranty company reimburses us.

So if need be, I will foot the bill for a new clutch, but what clutch do I put in since the car has a re map ?
    Is the 143 clutch different for the 170 ?

0 0 0

10. Re: Clutch Time Take 2 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b8sline View Post
    So if need be, I will foot the bill for a new clutch, but what clutch do I put in since the car has a re map ?
    Is the 143 clutch different for the 170 ?
    Interested in this one too - same situation re map and car has just done 52k. service due in about 5k (going from long life to a service every 10k). some juddering when cold.

comments always welcome
    Audi A4 Avant B8 3.0TDI (240)
    Caterham 7 K series 1.8 150 ps

0 0 0