Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Anyone had the rear LED indicators fail on a B?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Anyone had the rear LED indicators fail on a B? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just been in for a service and was advised that the led's in the rear indicators are only at 51% which is marginally over a fail for a MOT!!!

I have been quoted £250 to replace both as the whole light unit needs replacing! Is this common? Can it be done cheaper?

MOT not due for a few months but wouldnt want it to fail and then I have limited options.

0 0 0

2. Re: Anyone had the rear LED indicators fail on a B? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cunny678 View Post
    Just been in for a service and was advised that the led's in the rear indicators are only at 51% which is marginally over a fail for a MOT!!!

I have been quoted £250 to replace both as the whole light unit needs replacing! Is this common? Can it be done cheaper?

MOT not due for a few months but wouldnt want it to fail and then I have limited options.
    The comment doesn't make sense. There is no 50% rule. How many individual leds are not working? From memory I think you are allowed four leds not working.

1 0 0

3. Re: Anyone had the rear LED indicators fail on a B? 
    vespa Guest
    I had 2 new lamp clusters under VW warranty. LEDs are only about 10p so why are lamp clusters failing and not being repairable? I bet the supplier to VW gets the LEDS at about 1000 for 20p.

1 0 0

4. Re: Anyone had the rear LED indicators fail on a B? 
    f33nix Guest
    I have pulled one apart before now (cracked) and it is put together in a way so that you cannot undo it without smashing it... or at least it broke in my hands

Anyhow, Eurocarparts sell these for £56-67 each side not exactly £250 for the pair.
    Not being funny but perhaps the service guys may have been trying to pull fast one. Stick the car in for MOT at another place at the start of the month and if it fails on the rear clusters then a trip to Eurocarparts or such to get replacements.

1 0 0

5. Re: Anyone had the rear LED indicators fail on a B? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Rear LED clusters are totally sealed AFAIK. So you can't change individual LEDs
    Now, as to why... at our expense
    **SOLD** '06 B6 Passat 2L tFSI SEL 3c5, 232 bhp, Geba metal water pump, GlowShift boost & oil pressure gauges, paddles, powder-coated black Chicago rims yellow calipers, JVC KW NX7000/E sat nav DAB BT Ripspeed sub reverse cam, hi-line MFD, MFSW, Skyline tails, Laminex fogs, LEDs, indicator DRLs, Philips X-tremeVision heads, PowerFlow chrome exhaust, tints to rear, vanity VRM, TPMS, power-fold dimming mirrors, brolly

0 0 0

6. Re: Anyone had the rear LED indicators fail on a B? 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Scrap yard, there are zillions of B6's entering the disposal facility daily as they are an uneconomic repair once something major has broken, I would think you'd get a pair for £30.

1 0 0

7. Re: Anyone had the rear LED indicators fail on a B? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks guys - it seems a good idea to get it in for MOT early at an alternative MOT station. I was wondering if they were trying it on as I have never heard of indicators failing an MOT because they were not bright enough!

0 0 0

8. Re: Anyone had the rear LED indicators fail on a B? 
    DSG4ME Guest
    It is a failure, normally it's due to the coating burning off the bulb, if you could get it open it's possible you could coat the leds with amber coat to restore the orangeness.

0 0 0

9. Re: Anyone had the rear LED indicators fail on a B? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cunny678 View Post
    Thanks guys - it seems a good idea to get it in for MOT early at an alternative MOT station. I was wondering if they were trying it on as I have never heard of indicators failing an MOT because they were not bright enough!
    You are allowed 4 leds out. Any more than 4 and it's an MOT fail. This is because 4 leds is considered to be one bulb.

1 0 0

10. Re: Anyone had the rear LED indicators fail on a B? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1810 View Post
    The comment doesn't make sense. There is no 50% rule. How many individual leds are not working? From memory I think you are allowed four leds not working.
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1810 View Post
    You are allowed 4 leds out. Any more than 4 and it's an MOT fail. This is because 4 leds is considered to be one bulb.
    I cant see any LEDS that are not working! Dealership quoted me the 50% "rule" when the car was in for a service!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast