1. 2013 a4 2.0tdi (177ps) mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi folks, new user here so sorry if this has been a topic used in the past.

Picked up my brand new A4 at the start of november. It's a 2.0TDI (177PS) S-Line Black Edition Saloon (manual). So far I have done 1400 miles. I have filled the tank up as below (35litres of diesel in tank when I collected the car):

Odometer - Fill up volume
    194miles - 52.58litres
    538miles - 53.84litres = 29.05MPG
    952miles - 53.16litres = 35.40MPG
    1347miles - 52.68litres = 34.09MPG

As this is a diesel, i would have expected a much higher MPG than this. A lot of my driving is in grid lock traffic (8mile round trip). I barely have the AC on and I rarely allow revs to exceed 2200rpm.
    I contacted Audi with my figures and they said that it may take 5000miles before I get decent figures.
    Before I bought this car, I test drove a 2.0TFSI and observed much better figures 57MPG in 5th gear, 30mph on flat road (S-Tronic).

Just wondering if anyone has experience of such low figures on there own, if driving in similar conditions.
    Feel free to fish for more info if it helps answer this.

Cheers in advance.
    Dodds

0 0 0

2. Re: 2013 a4 2.0tdi (177ps) mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hi,

Just a couple of points worth mentioning:

1. Your milage is very low. At low mileage the car engines are still tight and it takes a while for everything to bed down. I got terrible MPG on my 3.0TDi for the first few tanks, then it started to improve...and has been getting better ever since. Your MPG at 5000 miles will be better than now, then at about 10k miles it will be even better than that...

2. Grid lock traffic will absolutely destroy your fuel economy in any diesel car. If you were doing these tests on a straight hour long run or so I am confident you would significantly improve your MPG.

3. Its winter and cold, getting good MPG in this weather is much harder for a number of reasons. Firstly the air is colder and more dense (containing more oxygen), so the engine has to burn more fuel to keep the mixture right. Next the engine is colder for longer and will so will run rich for longer. Finally the winter blend of fuel has additives in it to prevent it waxing at low temperature and reduces your MPG a bit more.

4. 2.0TFSI 57MPG is wishful thinking even on a good run =), the DIS has a habit of telling porkies...

In Conclusion...give it more time. The 2.0TDi 177 is hands down one of the best engines for fuel economy in the Audi range, and there are plenty of users here that can give you their average MPGs. The fact your car is a manual gearbox also saves you weight and will give you better MPG than the auto equivalents. Hope this helps a little, and congrats on the new car =)

-Andrew
    1994 VW Polo 1.4L (Scrapped)
    1998 VW Polo 1.4L - Somewhere Out there...
    2004 Audi A4 1.9TD 130bhp <--Gone but not forgotten!
    2011 Audi A4 3.0 V6 TDi 240bhp - Moved on, but still going
    2017 Audi S3 2.0 TFSI 310bhp

0 0 0

3. Red face Re: 2013 a4 2.0tdi (177ps) mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theskyfox View Post
    Hi,

Just a couple of points worth mentioning:

1. Your milage is very low. At low mileage the car engines are still tight and it takes a while for everything to bed down. I got terrible MPG on my 3.0TDi for the first few tanks, then it started to improve...and has been getting better ever since. Your MPG at 5000 miles will be better than now, then at about 10k miles it will be even better than that...

2. Grid lock traffic will absolutely destroy your fuel economy in any diesel car. If you were doing these tests on a straight hour long run or so I am confident you would significantly improve your MPG.

3. Its winter and cold, getting good MPG in this weather is much harder for a number of reasons. Firstly the air is colder and more dense (containing more oxygen), so the engine has to burn more fuel to keep the mixture right. Next the engine is colder for longer and will so will run rich for longer. Finally the winter blend of fuel has additives in it to prevent it waxing at low temperature and reduces your MPG a bit more.

4. 2.0TFSI 57MPG is wishful thinking even on a good run =), the DIS has a habit of telling porkies...

In Conclusion...give it more time. The 2.0TDi 177 is hands down one of the best engines for fuel economy in the Audi range, and there are plenty of users here that can give you their average MPGs. The fact your car is a manual gearbox also saves you weight and will give you better MPG than the auto equivalents. Hope this helps a little, and congrats on the new car =)

-Andrew

Andrew

What you are saying makes sense. It is quite rare right now to get the coolant temp above 70 before the commute is done so makes sense that the economy is not at its optimum. I really need to get a few good long runs into it and get the revs high now and then (as advised by Audi themselves). Will keep an eye on it in the next year (7000m/year) and hopefully see the MPG improve.
    Thanks for the info on the Fuel additives, something I was never aware of before.
    One thing to remember is that, 20-25 years ago, next to nobody had in-car computers or MPG calculators so we had no idea of how well the economy was (unless checking trip v fuel up). All has changed with increasing fuel prices (damned government) and more demand for greener vehicles...

Cheers again
    Dodds

0 0 0

4. Re: 2013 a4 2.0tdi (177ps) mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If its any consolation, it makes me feel better, in my 3.0, the last tank was 33.1mpg and that was mainly town stuff with some foot-down playing / getting used to the car stuff.

My previous 170 Superb was 42/43 in the winter months, mixed driving, but as said already, town stuff buggers it right up

0 1 0

5. Re: 2013 a4 2.0tdi (177ps) mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi.Quattro View Post
    If its any consolation, it makes me feel better, in my 3.0, the last tank was 33.1mpg and that was mainly town stuff with some foot-down playing / getting used to the car stuff.

My previous 170 Superb was 42/43 in the winter months, mixed driving, but as said already, town stuff buggers it right up
    Audi.Quattro

I am quite new to all this town driving. I'm from rural Orkney and have experience with previous versions of the A4 TDI (1.9TDIi 110 and 1.9TDI 145). THey are fantastic and usually achieve 52 - 56MPG. All this stop-start driving certainly drops the figures. That and probably the inclusion of quattro, which we didn't have on other cars.

0 0 0

6. Re: 2013 a4 2.0tdi (177ps) mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yip, my 3.0 beast averages around 34-36 on my daily 25 mile trip to work but worth it with the smile it puts on my face.

Your 177 will get better but Audi lie with their mpg claims

Quote Originally Posted by Audi.Quattro View Post

2009 A4 Avant 3.0Tdi Quattro.
    2012 A1 TFSI 185bhp (Mrs Car)

VCDS Owner

0 0 0

7. Re: 2013 a4 2.0tdi (177ps) mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigslope View Post
    Yip, my 3.0 beast averages around 34-36 on my daily 25 mile trip to work but worth it with the smile it puts on my face.

Your 177 will get better but Audi lie with their mpg claims

bigslope

I don't doubt that many companies lie about their figures, I am prepared for a little discrepancy. Always the fall back that the tests are carried out in controlled conditions over a short distance (very few variables). The 2.0 has good go but I would have defo gone for the V6 if I had the extra dosh available...

0 0 0

8. Re: 2013 a4 2.0tdi (177ps) mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derekjspence View Post
    Before I bought this car, I test drove a 2.0TFSI and observed much better figures 57MPG in 5th gear, 30mph on flat road (S-Tronic).
    With respect....I don't know what you were looking at, but it wasn't the journey average mpg. No chance in a petrol Audi.

Btw, make sure you do some long runs from time to time to clear out the DPF if you are mainly doing short trips.
    A5 (Cabriolet) 2.0 TDI 177PS S-Line - Scuba blue, Technology pack (high), B&O soundsystem, Bluetooth (low), Heated seats, Autoglym life shine.

0 0 0

9. Re: 2013 a4 2.0tdi (177ps) mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi, Ive got an 2010 A4 2.0 Tdi (143) Auto Avant S line (28k on the clock). I do a round trip of 15 miles to work roughly, town driving and a dual carriage way. My DIS averages around 32 Mpg. My older A4 2008 A4 1.8t manual S line B8 (Over 100k on the clock) averages around 30mpg on the same journey. Ive only had my 2010 A4 for around a month and I hope the 32mpg will go up!
    2008 B8 Audi A4 1.8t S line remaped to 200 bhp (Sold)
    2010 B8 Audi A4 2.0 Tdi (143) S line Special Edition Avant (Sold)
    2013 Audi A1 1.4 Tfsi (122) S Line (Current)
    2014 B8.5 Audi A4 2.0 Tdi (150) Black Edition (Current)
    2017 Audi A5 Coupe 2.0t (190) S Line (On Order)

0 0 0

10. Re: 2013 a4 2.0tdi (177ps) mpg 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine hovers around 35mpg, pretty poor. I almost wish I bought petrol instead.

It's pretty bad show from audi, friend has a 330d that is better on fuel.

It's a great car but 45+mpg would make it a brilliant car.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast