1. Question Aircon Fan Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum and really would like some opinions on this issue.
    I have just today popped my Leon Cupra R in for a warranty job on the aircon fans.
    the problem I get is when I switch the air con on, even from cold, the cooling fans spin very fast for about 10 seconds and then switch off. This constant on/off happens all the time whilst the air con is on and it is really demanding off the battery, I am awaiting for feedback from the garage, but I was told the slow speed fan controller may be shot. Anyway else heard of this?

0 0 0

2. Re: Aircon Fan Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Yes.

It is a very very common problem.

The low speed resistor on the fan controller is not up to the job and does indeed burn out.

Eventually the pulsing (on / off / on / off etc) will kill the fans completely.

If you search online there is info a plenty on this and some work rounds whereby people have fitted there own modified resistors with proper heatsinks. You will find most info on this if you direct your search towards MK4 Golfs.

As your is under warranty though, let them sort it. It may be worthwhile collating some info online with which you could confront them with if they don't sort it.

0 0 0

3. Re: Aircon Fan Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
    Yes.

It is a very very common problem.

The low speed resistor on the fan controller is not up to the job and does indeed burn out.

Eventually the pulsing (on / off / on / off etc) will kill the fans completely.

If you search online there is info a plenty on this and some work rounds whereby people have fitted there own modified resistors with proper heatsinks. You will find most info on this if you direct your search towards MK4 Golfs.

As your is under warranty though, let them sort it. It may be worthwhile collating some info online with which you could confront them with if they don't sort it.
    Right!, thanks for that I guess if they do fix it then its likely to happen again, so I will now look at a work around.

0 0 0

4. Re: Aircon Fan Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you google for "mk4 fan failure" you will find at least 2 really useful links on the first page of results.

Good luck

Rebecca

0 0 0

5. Re: Aircon Fan Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    If you google for "mk4 fan failure" you will find at least 2 really useful links on the first page of results.

Good luck

Rebecca
    your right and thanks for that. However, SEAT replaced the fans under warranty the other day. GREAT, I thought, but I bet they go again??

OK, lets talk preventative measures, and this is where we get very, very techy. Now, we reckon the power resistors get heated to very high temperatures and eventually give way. OK, now, you can buy heatsinks from Maplin, so why not wrap the resistors in a sustainable heat sink??

0 0 0

6. Re: Aircon Fan Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As far as I am aware, the resistors are actually part of the fans, and so if you open them up you'll damage the fans before you even start.

R

0 0 0

7. Re: Aircon Fan Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Once out of warranty, and if they fail again, apply the mod whereby you fit external heatsinks.

0 0 0