Notices

User Tag List

Thread: ABS Module: electrically connecting another module while not installed in the car?

1. ABS Module: electrically connecting another module while not installed in the car? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi all, im 99.99% sure that my abs module is knackered. i have front and rear left sensor errors even after swapping out a rear sensor. my vag com wont reliably communicate with the module (but talks fine to all other modules), i have bought an eftermarket code scanner that shows the faults returning all the time, i also get a dead speedo, and the abs warning lights on the dash that seem to randomly reset after ignition cycles.

anyway, i have bought a 2nd hand abs module from a scrappy (apparently no ABS errors on donor vehicle, and all part numbers match) but before paying a garage to swap the abs modules over, i wondered whether plugging in the "new" abs module to the car and seeing if i can communicate with vag com would be a good idea or not, to see if the sensor errors are not present amongst the myriad of errors it will likely throw out, and to check what coding is in the module.

the "new" module has arrived complete with the pump housing and the brake pressure sensor(?) still attached , relevant wires have been snipped and brake hoses have been cut/pinched rather than unscrewed and blanked.

anyone ever tried this?

0 0 0

2. Re: ABS Module: electrically connecting another module while not installed in the car? 
    warp_speed Guest
    Never tried this, but can can't see any issue. You need to ensure that the diagnostic wires are connected and ensure all the voltage lines are wired in. No doubt it will bitch about sensors and everything else thats not connected, but can easily be cleared with the VCDS. Just make sure none on the lines short circuit or it can kill the electronics. You probably need the circuit diagram to ensure your connecting the right pins. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by dansansome View Post
    hi all, im 99.99% sure that my abs module is knackered. i have front and rear left sensor errors even after swapping out a rear sensor. my vag com wont reliably communicate with the module (but talks fine to all other modules), i have bought an eftermarket code scanner that shows the faults returning all the time, i also get a dead speedo, and the abs warning lights on the dash that seem to randomly reset after ignition cycles.

anyway, i have bought a 2nd hand abs module from a scrappy (apparently no ABS errors on donor vehicle, and all part numbers match) but before paying a garage to swap the abs modules over, i wondered whether plugging in the "new" abs module to the car and seeing if i can communicate with vag com would be a good idea or not, to see if the sensor errors are not present amongst the myriad of errors it will likely throw out, and to check what coding is in the module.

the "new" module has arrived complete with the pump housing and the brake pressure sensor(?) still attached , relevant wires have been snipped and brake hoses have been cut/pinched rather than unscrewed and blanked.

anyone ever tried this?

0 0 0

3. Re: ABS Module: electrically connecting another module while not installed in the car? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply, I've given it more thought and I think that having it electrically connected via the main abs connector but nothing else would be no worse than, eg, a fully installed abs unit, with the other electrical harnesses broken, and the brake fluid drained. Vcds will see many errors, but should still communicate to see the coding, and wheel sensor errors.

I'm likely to do this over the weekend, so will post back any results.

0 0 0

4. Re: ABS Module: electrically connecting another module while not installed in the car? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, for the sake of finishing off a thread, the main abs connector harness is about an inch too short to allow connection to another abs module with the pump still attached. (On my car at least). I just about got the connector engaged, but couldn't operate the closure lever on the connector to get it fully engaged onto the module.

I may tray removing the "new" module from the pump housing and trying again to connect, as it was mostly the bulky pump housing that prevented connection.

0 0 0

5. Re: ABS Module: electrically connecting another module while not installed in the car? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just a word of warning to anyone else who might attempt this, i finally got round to trying the "new" module without the pump housing attached, and with a bit of jiggling the abs connector does fully engage. however after plugging it in, the coding on the module was 00000, not too much of an issue, i assumed i would have to recode it anyway, but when i removed it and plugged in my original module, the coding was also wiped from the module in my car!

on a slighly more positive note, the two wheel sensor errors that my original module keeps reporting (even straight after being cleared without the car moving), were not present in the new module.

0 0 0

6. Re: ABS Module: electrically connecting another module while not installed in the car? 
    warp_speed Guest
    Glad to hear that you might have resolved your issue with a newer/working module. Funny that the coding had been lost from both your modules I always thought that the settings were stored in some form of EEPROM, which should have been remembered even when you disconnected the module from the pump housing. Should be easy to reprogram the settings, work out your brake disc sizes and code the module with the VCDS and away you go ;-)

0 0 0

7. Re: ABS Module: electrically connecting another module while not installed in the car? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks. Funny thing is I previously disconnected the abs connector and reconnected without losing the code, but the code was only lost after managed to connect the new one. Maybe another module knows when a different abs has been plugged in and tells it to reset??

Yeah I managed to get it to recode. Discovered a little trick that seems to get the coding to take every time too (after reading so many tales of unsuccessful coding attempts).

Basically start the engine, connect to the abs ecu, measure block 001 (wheel speeds). Drive forwards to see change in wheel speeds, then park up and perform the coding and g85 calibration without turning off the engine. Worked every time, tried on three different variations of B6 A4s.

0 0 0