Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Garages and testing stations will be required check for a diesel particulate filter (DPF) in the inspection of the exhaust system as part of the MOT test (or annual test for heavy vehicles) from February 2014.
    The vehicle will automatically fail the MOT test if the filter had been fitted as standard but is found to be no longer present.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

Stuart
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder
    Member of the Institute Of Advanced Motorists
    Member of BMW Car Club GB
    - Email: stuart@vwaudiforum.co.uk -

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

Ways to support the website

Details of the VW Audi Forum Insurance Scheme, See Here

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

4 1 0

2. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Is this strict?
    My friend bought a higher mileage MY59 A5 with DPF removed (it was described as a positive in the discussion they had) and the same dealer he bought it from put 12months new MOT on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 1 0

3. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As long as they can see the DPF they cant fail the MOT ON THE DPF some replace with a bypass pipe that will fail the MOT, Mine is still there but i had a delete done But the DPF is emty and a remap same time .

0 1 0

4. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    until they start testing for actual emissions, probably sometime next year, then you're screwed.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

5. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Is it possible (or likely) that a car with the DPF removed can still pass emissions level?
    I have bought a mazda5 at way below book from a colleague who was moving abroad, the wife's Renault gave out and I had few options with school starting again tomorrow.

Point is, I know it has had the DPF peeled open and a pipe up the middle and the sensors mapped out, but it was also re-mapped for economy as it was already the 143hp version.

0 1 0

6. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    In theory it will fail, there is only one way to find out. The thing is, people should not be doing this or driving such cars now they know it is illegal. The MOT isn't designed to have delete option sections to cater for an individuals economic, political or social leanings, it is one rule for all so evading a fail by depict is not a thing to be proud of, you wouldn't do it with the brakes, would you?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 2 0

7. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I understand that it shouldn't be removed willynilly, but we have tier 4 interim engines with just SCR that pass the tier 4 final emissions levels, but tier 4 actual engines all seem to have SCR, DPF and Urea injection.

My point is that depending on fueling patterns and a bunch of other technical stuff that I don't get involved in (sit next to the engine/drivetrain team) many engine can be made to pass emissions levels without any pre/post treatment.
    Therefore if a car is tested and it passes the emissions levels, why should it matter if it has the treatment or not?

0 1 0

8. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    A good point BUT it has to be fitted no matter (no pun intended!) what. There was a similar situation to this back in the late 80's when cats were forced onto petrol engines. Both Austin Rover (yes, them) and Toyota had advanced lean burn engines in development that did not need, (in fact could not use) a catalyst but Ohh no, Europe had its way and all petrol cars HAD to have a cat and still do, one MUST be fitted even if the exhaust could be cleaner without it. That meant that the tailpipe emissions for things like Hydrocarbons and NOX went down to virtually nothing BUT CO2 emissions went up by more than the percentage reduction of the others as cats cause an increase in fuel consumption. Then a few years later the world went into a panic about CO2 and knee jerked over to diesel which is now killing people whilst the jury is still out on CO2. The distressing fact is that lean burn technology was abandoned and now research into the latest high pressure petrol fuel injection stratified combustion engines is revealing that they put out MORE particulates than an EU5+ diesel so EU6+ and EU7 petrol engines may end up with Gasoline Particulate Filters, it's all insane and an almighty great **** up!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

9. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I guess I will have to just wait and see with the Mazda.

I had a look and you can't see anything under the bonnet or underneath without taking lots of plastic covers off

0 1 0

10. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    when cats came out in the early 90's it was also all doom and gloom. they said they would only last 3 years and be thousands to replace. it was the end of cheap motoring they said. fast forwards a few years and all that was forgotten. cats are cheap but last a lifetime anyway.
    the moral of the story, buy a petrol, diesels will soon be un affordable.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

2 3 0

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast