Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Actually, when you think about it, there are a LOT of 50's>70's classic aircraft that are now retired that do not have the glow of a major war win to see they are preserved and even those that do, such as the Harrier, are just SO complex and expensive to maintain. They do a lot better than us in the states even with our own aircraft, simply because they have so much more money. If I had a spare £5M to throw at a project, I just don't know which one I would go far and yes, the VC10 is another one and it had slipped my mind. I wonder in 30 years time if people like us will be worrying about the preservation of classic contemporary craft like an Airbus?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 2 0

2. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    a chipmunk. they are cheap to run and easy to maintain, yet have a good pedigree.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 2 0

3. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    a chipmunk. they are cheap to run and easy to maintain, yet have a good pedigree.
    Oh yes a true (Canadian) classic. If you want something similar look no further than a Scottish Avation Bulldog. If you prefer a jet then bag a Provost or a Strikemaster, you might even be able to buy a Gnat.

One chap restored a Harrier to ground running order, then the CAA sent in their elf and saftee bunch and the Harrier had to have it's engine disabled. Spoilsports!

5M to throw at a project to return to the sky? I'd spend my mythical cash on one of Brunty's birds. Either one of the last complete K3 VC10 that they have there. Or the very neglected looking DH Comet. If that failed then perhaps a canberra, or maybe try to buy a grounded Trident from China before they chop the few that are left up. God! I never thought I'd be considering trying to save a groundhog! woefully underpowerd beast that they were. Mind you £5M isn't much really, it would cost several £M just to maintain hangar and keep a big bird current. The inspections alone would run into tens if not hundreds of thousands P/A. Then you have the fire supression system ect ect ect. Trust me flying 'em is one of the cheapest options, maintaining and insuring 'em thats what costs the serious money!

0 1 0

4. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    this is why i suggest a chipmunk. they are very small and would fly for a very long time on a budget of 5 mill. you could store it in a large garage rather than a hangar, and use a field to take off and land, rather than an airport, so basically you could keep it at your local flying club. they are fully aerobatic, unlike a larger plane, and have the same controls as a spitfire. parts are also probably easily available.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

5. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So after these dpf get gutted and mapped out of the ecu can we not fit stainless anymore than dpf back.

0 1 0

6. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    U what what?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 2 0

7. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I just got rid of my Mazda with the gutted out DPF and sensors mapped out, it passed its mot but it was very smokey under load. There was no social conscience, purely the wife thought it was going to break down every time she saw the plume in the mirror!

0 1 0

8. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Roughly 25000 people die each year in the UK due to these smoke emissions, does this not bother you?

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

9. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I bought the car like that and it was all I could afford and I got it for way under blue book, so it was way better than anything I could have bought for cash from a small dealer, plus it's now gone because I could afford something better now (which has a DPF).
    Despite this, still no.
    I cycle to work 3+ days a week, our house is very energy efficient and as a vegetarian/vegan household we have a tiny carbon and environmental footprint compared to an average 5 person family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 2 0

10. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Roughly 25000 people die each year in the UK due to these smoke emissions, does this not bother you?
    ......and how many die from tobacco related issues directly or passively? This is endorsed by the government. DPF removal realistically is small fry compared to this.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 1 0

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast