Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Hello and nice to meet you too, an insult within four words of a first post, pretty outstanding.

Every day we service cars with DPF's and when they are working correctly, the tailpipe is spotlessly clean inside.

The Vulcan uses Rolls Royce (nee Bristol) Olympus turbo jets, not the Conway, which is a turbofan and the design was started just after World War II when emissions were not important, don't judge the efforts of 70 years ago by modern mentality. XH558 is a working flying museum dedicated to reminding people what we have achieved in the past.

Unless you have something useful to add, I suggest you don't.....
    Going off topic, I'm amazed just how many peeps even those who attend airshows, think that XH558 is fitted with Conways. Nope, sorry the Conway was however fitted to the Handley Page Victor, and also to that other classic four engined British design the 'Queen of the skies' Vickers VC10. Once upon a time I had fun keeping Civvie VC10's airworthy and also playing around with that other Olympus engined bird, Concorde. Then I got demoted as the real aeroplanes were withdrawn from use and had to work on Boeings and Airbus aeroplanes.

The only thing I'll add about DPF's. Like EGR valves they are fitted for a reason and I'll be leaving them alone on the Wifes A7. My A8 is a petrol so hasn't got DPF(s) fitted
    I take it that 2015 is still XH558's final season then 'Crasher'? Though why RR can't grant extensions on the engine cycle limit baffles me. As I understand it the airframe itself is good for at least several more years flying.

0 3 0

2. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I think that the operators of XH558 are using a publicity company that are playing a dangerous game of emotions with people like myself who hand over hundreds of pounds a year to keep her flying, I have been doing this for so long now as it is the machine itself I am concerned about rather than anything else. They keep trying to scare us into giving more and more money (today they asked for more) and this WILL wear thin sooner or later. To see XH558 and two Lancaster’s flying over Lincolnshire in summer 2014 was probably one of my peak moments, when a TV crew tried to interview me I was stuck for sensible words, not for the first or last time in my life! It was a little like when I stepped out of the door of NX611 Just Jane after a taxi ride bought for me as a surprise present, stunned….
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

2 3 0

3. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i saw a documentary recently about crazy heros flying Vulcans to Port Stanley. "lest we forget" springs to mind

0 3 0

4. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    There was the excellent book about the Black Buck raids, Vulcan 607, even Mrs Crasher read it.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 2 0

5. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    The 607 book really is an eye opener. Shows just How hard it was to put 1 Vulcan over Stanley.
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 4 0

6. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I think that the operators of XH558 are using a publicity company that are playing a dangerous game of emotions with people like myself who hand over hundreds of pounds a year to keep her flying, I have been doing this for so long now as it is the machine itself I am concerned about rather than anything else. They keep trying to scare us into giving more and more money (today they asked for more) and this WILL wear thin sooner or later. To see XH558 and two Lancaster’s flying over Lincolnshire in summer 2014 was probably one of my peak moments, when a TV crew tried to interview me I was stuck for sensible words, not for the first or last time in my life! It was a little like when I stepped out of the door of NX611 Just Jane after a taxi ride bought for me as a surprise present, stunned….
    Like you, I've given more than a few quid to keep the Vulcan flying, and also like you 'Crasher' I've paid homage to NX611 'Just Jane' The Panton's lovely Lancaster (Ex Scampton gate gaurd aircraft if I remember rightly) I was told that plans were afoot to return NX611 to airworthy status and that a set of Merlins had been bought. But how far along the project has got I don't know. Let's hope that it meets with more success than the ill fated KB976 that was so close to becoming airworthy once more thanks to the now departed Charles Church's efforts. Sadly the 1987 hangar collapse at Woodford saw the end of that project.

2 1 0

7. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I believe the Panton's lent the Canadian Lanc a flight cleared unit a few weeks back when they had a problem when over here I think they are making progress.

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 2 0

8. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So that's where they got the replacement Merlin from. It was reported (wrongly) that the Merlin was loaned from the BBMF. I somehow doubted that story, I recall a few seasons ago that the BBMF had to rob an engine from one of the Spits to keep Lancaster PA474 airworthy. I don't think that there are too many spare engines floating around down at Conningby, except maybe for a few ex-Shackleton Griffons that were delivered from Lossimouth around 1989-90

0 1 0

9. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    No there's an idea, a Lanc with four Griffon's, ohh yeh,m the Growler....that would make Clarkson smirk.

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

10. Re: New MOT rule regarding DPF Removal 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was reading just the other day that the Growler (Shackleton) at Coventry MIGHT be returning to the skies 'one day'. IF, a paltry £5M or so can be raised to re-spar the wings. Now I'm all for this (but I'm biased!) The more classic British aircraft we can maintain in airworthy condition the better. I was also told that A VC10 might be being saved from the scrapman, I think that could be wishful thinking as only K3 ZA147 (I think) remains in the scrappers compound. K4 ZD241 is the ground runner at Brunty with C. Mk1 (K) XR 808 being dismantled prior to moving to Cosford by road. But you never know what could happen. I'm still waiting for a Hawker Tempest Mk2 to fly again, I've only been waiting for around twenty years! Then there's the long drawn out restoration to airworthy status of the Bristol Beaufighter. How long has that saga dragged on for? We were even promised a 'new' airworthy UK based Mosquito a decade or so ago, I'm still waiting for that to happen too!

0 1 0

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast