1. EGR cooler fault golf 1.6 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    New to the site today, advice and help please......
    My 59 plate vw golf 1.6 tdi went in for a main dealer service 3 weeks ago, we said that the glow plug lamp kept coming on with loss of power. Advised that this was not part of service and for £60 extra they could diagnose issue. Informed that the Egr cooler needed replacing circa £1000.00' although after a moan Vw picked up cost of cooler and 50% of labour! leaving me with about £350 to pay. Groan but what must be......
    Booked in today for repair, received a phone call to say all done, but have found further issues, split EGR pipe, leaking exhaust manifold, massive oil leak (dealerships words) and oil pressure switch needs replacing! Bearing in mind it had a full service 3 weeks ago and gas cover about 500 miles since I found this a bit shocking, VW dealership thought otherwise!
    I'm no engineer, but something doesn't ring right here, any comments welcome.

0 0 0

2. Re: EGR cooler fault golf 1.6 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

Its out of warranty so you can Contact VW Customer Services if its always been serviced by VW, and give them the story.

I ask new members only once to add their car spec to their signature as all regular members do this.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

0 0 0

3. Re: EGR cooler fault golf 1.6 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That really does sound terrible! How many miles have you done and what kind of life has the car had?
    mk6 Golf. Graphite Blue. 1.6 TDI. All Factory Standard. Less Than 30,000 Miles.

0 0 0

4. Re: EGR cooler fault golf 1.6 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew2riches View Post
    That really does sound terrible! How many miles have you done and what kind of life has the car had?
    it sounds like your dealer either mis diognosed the EGR cooler fault, dealer techs now solely rely on the computer diognosed codes and take them as gospel. The. EGR pipe being split will throw the same error code a a split cooler, and they have changed the wrong part. Or they have damaged the pipe and whatever else whilst changing the cooler and you are picking up the bill.
    This is my opinion only.
    2010 Golf 2.0 TDI GT 140 DSG , 5 door in white.

0 0 0

5. Re: EGR cooler fault golf 1.6 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the coil warning light on and the car going into limp mode about 3 time before Christmas, the car has only done 29500 miles and is not 3years old until next May.
    I booked the car in for a check on 2nd Jan picked up lunch time today with the EGR Cooler changed, on the job sheet it says the price of the EGR cooler is £878.66, I am glad I didn't have to pay that and by the time the 2Year guarantee on it has ran out the car will be gone....
    Passat B8 SE Business 2.0TDi DSG
    Golf Mk7 Match 1.6TDI DSG with Singapore Wheels

0 0 0

6. Re: EGR cooler fault golf 1.6 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    egr valve is incorporated into the cooler and the failure of the valve is very common across all vag 1.6 cr engines

0 0 0

7. Re: EGR cooler fault golf 1.6 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    We do loads of the EGR coolers, TPS keep about four in stock and often sell 2 a day! They are a total pig to fit compared to other EGR valves, they take a good four hours to do.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

8. Re: EGR cooler fault golf 1.6 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Trick is to leave the dpf in situ takes around 2 hours then and can also be done like this for 2.0 tdi quattro.

0 0 0

9. Re: EGR cooler fault golf 1.6 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I am glad you can do it with the DPF in situ on the 1.6 (OK on the 2 litre, yes), my forearms are too thick, you must be a slender little thing...
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 1

10. Re: EGR cooler fault golf 1.6 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 2010 1.6 TDi had a service 4 weeks ago at 43k miles, two weeks later the car kept losing power, chugging and then cutting out completely when driving - EGR valve but since that was replaced it has since shut off whilst driving it as it did before with no warning lights, as if it has stalled whilst driving normally in third gear, for example. Does anyone know if this a known fault with the 1.6 TDi model as I am contemplating changing my car?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast