Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Advice on upgrading B8 A4 SE 17'' wheels to 19''? Do I need to change suspension springs?

1. Advice on upgrading B8 A4 SE 17'' wheels to 19''? Do I need to change suspension springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Fairly new to Audi and this site so please excuse me if I am not going through the correct channels. I am looking for advice on changing the wheels on my 58 plate A4 SE from 17'' wheels to 19''. I have heard rumours that I will need to change out the suspension springs as well to make it look OK. Has anyone ever had any experience of this and can they advise if the gap in the wheel arch would look silly if I kept the original springs on?

Any pictures of a similar set up would be ideal, I just do not want to shell out on a set of new wheels only to find out it looks daft.

Thanks in advance.

0 0 0

2. Re: Advice on upgrading B8 A4 SE 17'' wheels to 19''? Do I need to change suspension springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    With the bigger wheels the arch gap will increase, lowering the car afterwards is personal choice and not really necessary.

Remember to inform your insurance of any mods just to keep yourself safe.

Welcome to VWAF

0 0 0

3. Re: Advice on upgrading B8 A4 SE 17'' wheels to 19''? Do I need to change suspension springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am aware that it is not necessary to maintain the mechanical integrity of the car, it was more so a question of how they would look once they were on. If it is common knowledge that they would look ridiculous without adjusting the suspension then I would just leave it. I should have just gone for the s line but I got a good deal on an approved vehicle from Stoke and I was maybe a bit too keen to own my first Audi. Also, will this affect my speedometer reading?

0 0 0

4. Re: Advice on upgrading B8 A4 SE 17'' wheels to 19''? Do I need to change suspension springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I'll have a look on the forum and see if I find something (theres bound to be someone whos put big wheels on a SE).

Speedo, no, if you keep within the rolling radius of your current tyres. 19s on a B8 should be 255/35/19.

0 0 0

5. Re: Advice on upgrading B8 A4 SE 17'' wheels to 19''? Do I need to change suspension springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok thanks a lot for your help and advice. I will also have a search for some info on the forums once I find my way about the site!

0 0 0

6. Re: Advice on upgrading B8 A4 SE 17'' wheels to 19''? Do I need to change suspension springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Done something similar on my A6, moving from 225 50 17's to 255 35 19's

One thing to remember, ( a lot forget ) and it can be an expensive mistake, is to look out for the ET or offset

The other thing could be depending on what you buy is the centre bore, mine is 57.1mm but the wheels I bought were 66.6 mm, easily cured by spigot rings, but just as a friendly piece of advice.

Mine is also an SE.......The gap is slightly bigger than I'd like, but not hugely so. Personally as the profile of the rubber has decreased I'm wary about taking more cushion out with lowering springs as I like my ride just the way it is in that respect

BEFORE

AFTER

Hope it helps some

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

7. Re: Advice on upgrading B8 A4 SE 17'' wheels to 19''? Do I need to change suspension springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Whilst I don't have an SE (I have S-Line) I do make the swap between 17 and 19 inch wheels every year. My summer wheels are 19" 7 twin spokes (255/35/19) and the winters are 17" from the SE (225/50/17). Rolling radius is near enough identical and both look OK without changing suspension although the 19's are by far my favourite. I will try and dig out some photos later.
    I can't imagine that 19's would do anything to your cars look other than improve it (as long as you have decent looking wheels anyway &#128512

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    The current wheels:
    2010 A4 Avant - 3.0 TDi quattro S-Line special Edition

0 0 0

8. Re: Advice on upgrading B8 A4 SE 17'' wheels to 19''? Do I need to change suspension springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here you go, taken in the spring during the swap to summers.

17's

19's

Only difference this year is that the 17's are also anthracite colour now 😁

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    The current wheels:
    2010 A4 Avant - 3.0 TDi quattro S-Line special Edition

0 0 0

9. Re: Advice on upgrading B8 A4 SE 17'' wheels to 19''? Do I need to change suspension springs? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think they should look OK. If it comes to it I will just get s line springs put in to reduce the wheel arch gap. Appreciate the information folks

0 0 0