Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf gt tdi 1998 engine cuts out while driving!!!!, what could it be please help!!!!!please!!!!

1. Golf gt tdi 1998 engine cuts out while driving!!!!, what could it be please help!!!!!please!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

i have a golf gt tdi 1998model 110 bhp,

the fault is that when driving it it sometimes and quite occasionally the engine cuts out for no reason whatsoever, the diesel tank is full so there is diesel in it, but the petrol gage is slightly faulty, could it be that this is triggering a sensor and the engine cuts out, the fuel gage is just over a half at the moment but the tank is full, when driving the car it cut out and wouldnt start again and i had to be towed home , the fault also occurs when the car is stable and parked up when sarted it will after a while it cut outs when the cars idling. personally think it might be a faulty sensor somewhere but not too sure could someone give me some advice on what to do please!!!!!

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf gt tdi 1998 engine cuts out while driving!!!!, what could it be please help!!!!!please!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi there.have you checked or replaced the fuel filter lately if not replace it as it could have an air leak which can cause a air blockage in the fuel system and also there could be a hole in the diaphram of the fuel lft pump if one is fitted on your vechile.hope this helps on many diesel cars this is a problem

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf gt tdi 1998 engine cuts out while driving!!!!, what could it be please help!!!!!please!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I had a similar sort of fault with my tdi vento. I could be driving along and all of a sudden the engine would cut out but restart almost instatnaneously due to the momentum. Turned out I had a dry joint in the relay to the fuel pump. My local independant VW garage where I have the car serviced replaced the relay (about £14 from German & Swedish) and since I haven't had a problem.

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf gt tdi 1998 engine cuts out while driving!!!!, what could it be please help!!!!!please!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    yes that is correct,the n109 relay develops hairline cracks on the circuit board causing the failure.The replacement vag relay has a modified circuit board.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf gt tdi 1998 engine cuts out while driving!!!!, what could it be please help!!!!!please!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi,

does anyone know where this relay is located and if it can be checked?, also if somebody can give me some directions of how to replace this it would be a great help, any pics would be very much appreciated as im a total newbie to diesel cars and have never had this problem ever before.

Thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf gt tdi 1998 engine cuts out while driving!!!!, what could it be please help!!!!!please!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    The relay is at position 12 (hard to identify) on the main relay plate under the facia, accessible once the lower covers and trims are removed. The relay has the number 109 printed on top and the VW part number is 1J0 906 381 A and cost £13.17 all in so it's not worth testing it.

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf gt tdi 1998 engine cuts out while driving!!!!, what could it be please help!!!!!please!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi not too sure where the main relay plate is?, do i have to only take the plastic cover off from the top of the engine or will i have to take anything else off to access where the relay will be?, i am definatly going to buy and replace the relay for the fuel pump but if the part only costs around 15 ill save some extra money by fitting it myself, can someone tell me a little more about how i can replace it,

thanks to everyone whose placed a reply, your help is much appreciated.

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf gt tdi 1998 engine cuts out while driving!!!!, what could it be please help!!!!!please!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    It is the ECU relay and not the fuel pump relay and as I said in my post, it is under the facia. To get to it you need a Torx T25 driver and you need to remove the lower covers in front of your knees as you sit in the driver’s seat and then the lower cover that is above your feet. This allows you to remove the plastic knee crash pad so you can have a clear view of what you need to look for. It is possible to do it by only removing the lower cover but if you don't know what you are looking for it will be awkward. When you get the new relay, it will be in a grey case but the original may be in a black case but either way it has "109" printed on top.

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf gt tdi 1998 engine cuts out while driving!!!!, what could it be please help!!!!!please!!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi,

changed the ecu relay yesterday, since then it is running perfectly all in all a great job thanks everyone, fingers crossed though hope it stays ok lol. ill update you again if anything goes wrong.

thanks again i really appreciate your help.

0 0 0