Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello all,

I'd like to pick your collective brains if I may.

I have a major issue with my 2002 1.9 TDi

My battery is draining overnight. The battery is good (12V on the kitchen work top after re charge), and it is charging when the engine is running (14V when back in situ with the engine idling).

I've measured the current being drawn when everything is off (including interior lights/boot lights etc) and the car is drawing 300mA. Is this anywhere near normal? Would it be enough to drain a battery over 12 - 15 hours?

I then went through pulling and replacing each fuse in turn to see what happened to the current draw.

When I pulled fuse 11 - Instrument cluster, automatic gearbox (it's a manual) the current drawn dropped to 40 mA.

Pulling fuse 38 - Luggage compartment light, central locking sys resulted in an open circuit indication on the multi meter. Does that sound right?

Any help or advice will be most gratefully received!

Thank you.

0 0 0

2. Re: Another battery drain issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, I know it's bad form to answer one's own post, but there's been developments. I have since found out from she who must be obeyed (for tis her car), that a couple of warning lights have been flashing on the car, and the brake lights have been a bit intermittant. (You could of told me earlier love).

The error code reader do da thingymebob gave me just the one code of 16955. I've had a bit of a root around the brake pedal switch and the rear light clusters, and I found this:

(Apologies for the blurryness)

IMAG0576.jpg

The snakes wedding appears to be an aftermarket alarm sounder. I may be wrong, I know very little about auto electrics. The wires coming out of the tail light cluster have been spliced with other wires going into the various little boxes and bits and bobs, one of which is a relay. I know that because it says "Relay" on it rather than any electrical knowledge on my part.

Anyhow, my digit is pointing to a relatively thick green wire which shoots off into the trim. Tracing the wire forward, it emerges in the engine bay here. I've never noticed it before as it was down behind the battery holder box.

IMAG0574.jpg

This is where I get very stuck. I have no idea how the electrics work, but a good eyeballing appeared to reveal that the wire was connected to the negative terminal, but whatever was used to secure it to the terminal has come off and so therefore, has the wire.

In close (ish) up:

IMAG0575.jpg

That stud is quite clean, suggesting there was something screwed down onto it recently.

My next question is, could that disconnected wire be causing my battery drain and brake light issue? And, why run a wire back to the negative side of the battery.....surely, it could use any other earth point around the car?

Thanks for any help...........!!
    Last edited by GibGreen; 02-11-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: .......because I'm a spelling buffoon.

0 0 0

3. Re: Another battery drain issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello again.

I know it's poor form to reply to one's own posts, not once, but twice (!!) but I have made some progress, and thought an update was in order for those who may have had a similar issue.

The extra gubbins tucked away behind the rear light cluster was in fact relays and an audible alarm for a towing hitch. A relay was used to power the fridge in a caravan from the car when in use, and switch back to the caravan's leisure battery when the car was off. The second relay was for the lights, brake lights and indicators on the caravan. The audible alarm is to satisfy a legal requirement that the indicators on a towed vehicle have an audible tone or visual indication to signify they are connected and working.

I have cut all the rubbish out that isn't required and terminated/insulated correctly the stock wiring. I still have an issue with the brake lights doing their own thing when they feel like it. I have ordered a replacement brake light switch which after reading all the forums will hopefully cure my woes.

I think that some of the DIY wiring was "a little dodgy" which may explain the draining battery. I also didn't realise that the brake lights work without the key in the ignition. It's entirely possible that the brake lights have been on after I or the Mrs have left the car, which would also drain the battery fairly rapidly I'd imagine.
    Last edited by GibGreen; 04-11-2013 at 06:47 PM.

0 0 0

4. Re: Another battery drain issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Well done on your detective work on the tow bar electrics. This may be a problem area. On the battery side of things, a fully charged battery should read around 12.5 volts at rest. The voltage when running around 14 volts, not dropping much even when lights, heated screen on etc.
    If the battery is on its way out, it may charge okay overnight on a charger, but won't hold it for any great time....just

had same problem on the wife's car...battery goosed. Just thought I would mention.
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper £££

1 0 0

5. Re: Another battery drain issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Halfords will do a free battery check for you. They just connect a display to the battery and tell you how much life it's got left. They don't put any pressure on you to buy a new one from them, even if the battery is useless.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

1 0 0

6. Re: Another battery drain issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The new brake light switch is in (that was a doddle once I'd got the lower dash off) and all appears back to the way Audi intended. The battery seems ok, with the expected voltage reading when at rest, and when the engine is running.Unfortunately, my nearest Halfords is about 1500 miles away as the crow flies, but there is a local garage that will do a check for me.

0 0 0

7. Re: Another battery drain issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibGreen View Post
    Unfortunately, my nearest Halfords is about 1500 miles away as the crow flies, but there is a local garage that will do a check for me.

That'll teach me to read the "location" before assuming that everyone lives in England.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it holds the universe together.
    2002 Passat 1.9tdi
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI
    Gone: 1997 Golf GTI ; 1989 Coupe; 2000 A6 Avant 2.4; 2000 A3 1.8

0 1 0

8. Re: Another battery drain issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)