Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Troubleshooting on my first car - A4 Avant estate 1999 - A-frame water leak, footwell leak etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Troubleshooting on my first car - A4 Avant estate 1999 - A-frame water leak, footwell leak etc. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello,

This september I bought my first car - Audi A4 Avant Estate (1999) 1.8 T - during the UK summer heatwave. Now it isn't summer anymore, it appears I have a substantial water leak.

After rain, my drivers side footwell is soaked as is my rear driver's side footwell, and there is a definite leak on the A pillar near the top of the windscreen, which soaks the interior up there and drips down on to the door side of the drivers seat. My guess is this is running down into the footwell, but of course it could be one of many leaks. Im trying to figure out if it is the root of the issue. I'm just having a bit of trouble working out how to do it and what to do.

What I have done :

- checked my engine bays and drain holes under the hood - all seems well. My pollen filter is dry. Passenger side footwell is also dry.

- duct-taped over the dodgy windscreen seal near the spot in the A-frame. It still leaks the same amount in heavy rain.

- removed / fixed seized wipers and wiper mechanism. While I was there I cleared out dirt and debris from the engine compartment which was previously not visible that could have been clogging up drain holes.

- checked the door seal. It seems OK, but I'm no pro.

So...

I am trying to clear any and all drains. I need to locate sunroof-type drains on the top of the car. I was told the sunroof is sealed by the previous owner but there are controls that don;t do anything.

I'm considering getting the windscreen replaced / resealed to see if this solves the issue as it looks like it could use it.

also :

- The plastic scuttle cover screws are shot. It was held on by one main screw when I lifted it off. However it appears to be dry around there. I'm looking for replacements.

- the windscreen seal is pretty haggard and crusty. I can touch the edge of the glass in parts (including by that problematic leaky A-pillar area).

- seal not so great on the sunroof either. However it is dry underneath there on the inside of the car. (Edit - it was getting in here due to over flowing drains, but it was showing toward the door - see below).

Thanks. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by damn_seagulls; 05-12-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: update

0 0 0

2. Re: Troubleshooting on my first car - A4 Avant estate 1999 - A-frame water leak, footwell leak etc. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I thought I'd update...

I took away the A pillar trim and kick panel and saw water was running from above the door, down the a-pillar and into the footwell that way. I could see it dripping into the footwell once I'd removed the kick panel.

So, I undid the visor and pulled back the headliner trim near the driver's door and poured water on top of the car from a jug. Water now trickles through and drips directly on the driver's seat (as Ive given it a new exit route). I think it's the sunroof seal.
    Last edited by damn_seagulls; 13-11-2013 at 07:14 PM.

0 0 0

3. Re: Troubleshooting on my first car - A4 Avant estate 1999 - A-frame water leak, footwell leak etc. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had similer problems with a 99 Fiat Brava belonging to the wife and all I could do was disconnect the sunroof winding mechanism and seal it up with Tec 7. Personally I think sunroofs are a bit silly really, why put a hole in a perfectly good roof .
    You could try removing all the trims and getting a mate to powerwash the car?
    2006 VW Sharan 1.9 TDi 90 Bhp ANU Engine

1 0 0

4. Re: Troubleshooting on my first car - A4 Avant estate 1999 - A-frame water leak, footwell leak etc. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I might just do that. I'm well on my way there anyway! I think to see exactly what's happening I'll have to remove the headliner which I'm not particularly looking forward to.

Might as well try a DIY sealant job on the sunroof seal. It's raining now though...
    Last edited by damn_seagulls; 13-11-2013 at 07:13 PM.

0 0 0

5. Re: Troubleshooting on my first car - A4 Avant estate 1999 - A-frame water leak, footwell leak etc. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    (deleted because it was useless false info. In case anyone who reads this actually wants to fix their car...)
    Last edited by damn_seagulls; 13-11-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

0 0 0

6. Re: Troubleshooting on my first car - A4 Avant estate 1999 - A-frame water leak, footwell leak etc. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, might be no harm to seal around it anyway? Tec 7 is great stuff.
    Hows the car otherwise?

0 0 0

7. Re: Troubleshooting on my first car - A4 Avant estate 1999 - A-frame water leak, footwell leak etc. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It can't hurt. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the product suggestion too. I should be able to see if it's going to be successful while Ive got the headliner hanging down.

Otherwise the car is great! I got it dirt cheap and it's served me well so far. Just need to iron out the water problems before it fries any electrics or my car turns into an ice pop come winter.

0 0 0

8. Re: Troubleshooting on my first car - A4 Avant estate 1999 - A-frame water leak, footwell leak etc. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just reluctantly had to change from my 1.9 TDi A4 B5 to a Sharan. The A4 is a great car and fairly bulletproof mechanically so it shouldn't give too much trouble. Some people use Tiger Seal for those jobs but I find Tec 7 just as good.
    Here' the thread I put up on the Fiat forum at the time:

Technical: Sunroof Guide - The FIAT Forum

0 0 0

9. Re: Troubleshooting on my first car - A4 Avant estate 1999 - A-frame water leak, footwell leak etc. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    brilliant thanks for that link. Gives me a bit of a lift. Took some more of the interior out today, I'm going to try to figure out why it only comes out of one side of the car when it soaks through, otherwise that'll do my head in.

0 0 0

10. Re: Troubleshooting on my first car - A4 Avant estate 1999 - A-frame water leak, footwell leak etc. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Classic.

Today I pulled down the headliner of the car and ripped a few more pillar panels off.

It turns out the sunroof motor wasn't correctly connected to the sunroof and after plugging things back in properly the sunroof DOES open, revealing the sunroof drains I was looking for in the first place - and guess what, all but one is blocked solid. This was actually the first thing I attempted to check weeks ago.

I cleared them as best I could. I had to remove the C-pillar panels to get at the he rear run off tubes and jam a bass guitar string down them, as I cant find the other end (it's hidden somewhere in the rear wheel arch on the avant, as another forum member somewhere on the internet thankfully pointed out). After a long time I finally broke through the gunk but still cant get much water out of it, so I'm going to give it another shot with a thicker wire tomorrow then seal it back up. I can blow air through the rear and the front ones are working nicely.

There is still a bit of water coming through near the sunroof drain tray into the headlining. I noticed there are two very small holes on either side of the sunroof runners which seem to have no purpose. They are currently letting drips through. I will probably put a blob of silicone on those.

Sunroof won't close without some 'help' but that's another job for another day.
    Last edited by damn_seagulls; 06-12-2013 at 02:25 PM.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast