Notices

User Tag List

Thread: wanna be A7 buyer : viewing a car and lots of questions ! help please !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. wanna be A7 buyer : viewing a car and lots of questions ! help please ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there peeps,

So I want to trade up my trusty Mini Cooper S for a family car and was all set in stone in buying a almost new BMW520D maxed out with extras when, out of the blue, a dealer ( the one I bought the Mini Cooper from) calls me and says " I have your dream car here".

So we talked over the phone ( going there on Monday ) and the car is a Audi A7 3.0 TDI , non quattro version. I never though about the A7, albeit I adore the car and my wife loves it to death, just for the single reason that was out of my reach ( here in Portugal, used A7's are in the 66-75k euros range.. They cost about 85-90k euros new, so thats about right ). But this one is a 204ps altough with a few extras and its in mint condition, late 2011 model and priced very reasonably at 52k euros... my limit was 48k euros for that BMW, but heck, I just adore the A7 so what the hell.

Now, I've been reading to death about the A7 and still have a few questions :

- the car is a 204ps model and it comes with a multronic gearbox
    - the car DOES not have ( he sent me pictures ) a S kit, which in this model is good due to the unfortable ride
    - however, it does come with 20 inch rims ( uh oh , there goes confort ) but thats easy - If I find them too agressive ( they look the business though ) , when tyre change is due, I'll buy 19 inch and sell these - maybe the whole change will be peanuts
    - extras included are : 20inch rims, updated MMI, BOSE sound, keyless system, automatic parking, heated steering wheel. 4 zone zircon, etc ... apart from the standard stuff ( heads up display, leather everywehere, etc )

Questions :

- what to look out for ? I know that A7's are known for being reliable and apart from the hundreds ( yap ) posts I've read everwhere, their prone to rattles and vibrations ( mid console, doors, hud ) but Audi usually fix them. What else ?
    - how do I know the car has air suspension ( the optional ) ? I know they come with the Audi Dinamic selector ( for gearbox and suspension ) but there is also a air suspension option. how do I know if it has it ?
    - the delaer told me that he thinks the car comes with sport suspension. how do I know (apart from the thing being unfortable in potholes ) that it includes it ?
    - he's not sure if the car has a google earth option - he says that has the upgraded mmi, its huge and in 3D, but there is no "texture" in the buildings - only 3D models. is that the google earth GPS with no data connection ? in all A7's that I saw with the Google Earth GPS, it said "GOOGLE" on the lower bottom corner of the GPS. If it doesnt say, it is not ?
    - seats are heated - does the A7 comes with massage seats ( a-la-Mercedes ) ? or just eletric and heated, vented as option ?
    - where do you activate the night vision mode ? where in the dash ?

It will be my first time in the A7, the pictures he sent me the car looks mint and I'm super, hyper excited. Its really a dream car for me, at affordable I can get price ( thank you miss depreciation ). It has low miles ( 50k kms, roughly 35k miles ) and its so-so recent ( june 2011 ). It looks the business in my favorite combo - light interior, daytona grey outside, 20" rims.

Long time since I felt absolutly HYPER about a car ( trying to hide my excitment from the dealer, we are still negotiating the mini buy back )

Best and thank you all with the help - please throw me as much advice as you can.

Also - its a big car and I expect decent service bills. But what is normally expected to pay for a Audi A7 "normal" service ? 500-750 pounds ? I've never ever owned an Audi before, always been a Mercedes/Porsche/BMW man.

GP

0 0 0

2. Re: wanna be A7 buyer : viewing a car and lots of questions ! help please ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Hi,

I picked up my A7 a week ago and love it. I will help where I can. Mine is suffering from a number of rattles and vibrations at the moment but as yours is second hand I assume the previous owner will have sorted them all out by now, if not im sure the selling dealer will sort it for you.

It comes with Audi Drive select as standard, if you go into the car menu, there somewhere there is a menu for the air suspension, it has "lift", "dynamic" and a few other modes, however if he said it comes with sports suspension it cant have air suspension (And vice verca). Try it out and see if you like the ride. Mine is on 20's and seems a very good ride so far. I wouldnt worry which suspension it has as long as you like the ride.

The google earth option is easy, right at the top of the dash on the right hand side, there is a button that says "open". when you press it a small plastic covering folds out. Inside it will have 2 SD card slots. If it has a SIM card slot between them it has google earth imagery, if there is no SIM card slot it doesn't. On the picture below it is the right hand button on the shiny black bit below the hazard warning light button. (this photo is not my car)

The night vision is also an easy one. On the left of the light switch (might be different in your country) there are either 2 or 3 buttons. The top one is the all weather light (looks like a cloud with rain coming out of it), the middle one is the night vision button (looks like a moon) the bottom one is the rear fog light (looks like the standard rear fog light button on any car). The following is what the buttons look like.

http://motoroids.com/wp-content/uplo...0-1024x682.jpg

Also on the picture below, on the right hand ring of the Audi badge you can see the night vision camera right in the middle. (This photo IS my car ;-))

I hope it turns out to be the car you want, they are stunning and fairly rare here in the UK. If you have any more questions ask away.
    Last edited by M1tchy; 20-10-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Spelling!
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

3. Re: wanna be A7 buyer : viewing a car and lots of questions ! help please ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1tchy View Post
    Hi,

I picked up my A7 a week ago and love it. I will help where I can.(...)
    Mitchy, thanks a ton with the replies. From looking again to the photos, sadly I notice the car hasnt got neither vented or heated seats, also doesnt have the NightVision, or so it seems by the photos.

Still have to hassel a tad the price down, but if the test drives goes ok and the car seems all right, will drive it home. Also, your tips on the suspension and lookg for the sim slot are trully helpfull. Really long long time I was this eager for a car.

Hope my couple next posts here includes pictures of my new A7

Best

GP

0 0 0

4. Re: wanna be A7 buyer : viewing a car and lots of questions ! help please ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    No problem, glad I could help. I'm pretty sure all A7's have heated seats? Again very easy to check, the photo of the dash I posted, near to the two silver dials there should be a button. The upper button is for heated seats, the lower one for ventilated. I can take a clearer picture of mine tomorrow and point out each gadget/button if you like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

5. Re: wanna be A7 buyer : viewing a car and lots of questions ! help please ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No problem, glad I could help. I'm pretty sure all A7's have heated seats? Again very easy to check, the photo of the dash I posted, near to the two silver dials there should be a button. The upper button is for heated seats, the lower one for ventilated. I can take a clearer picture of mine tomorrow and point out each gadget/button if you like?
    thanks mate, you'r a star - no need though, I think I got pretty much covered where the extras are ( spent hours looking at those silly video reviews on youtube that dont drive the car - the "walkarounds", where they just sit in the car and say "here is this.. here is that" ) . Going to test drive car today / yay

One thing though : its a big car and big cars usually command big prices when it comes to parts and maintenance. Atlhough Audi is sensible on the maintenance costs, I'm expecting something on top of the A6 maintenance costs but still far from A8 - experience from A7 users ? 500-700 pounds or euros for a normal maintenance sounds about right ?

Thanks again Mitchy !

0 0 0

6. Re: wanna be A7 buyer : viewing a car and lots of questions ! help please ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Remember UK spec cars may be specced differently in standard trim to Portugese spec cars

I suggest you look at the latest brochure on Audi PT Homepage > Audi Portugal

0 0 0

7. Re: wanna be A7 buyer : viewing a car and lots of questions ! help please ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Enjoy the test drive!

0 0 0

8. Re: wanna be A7 buyer : viewing a car and lots of questions ! help please ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Enjoy the test drive!

eheheh thanks, you've been a star

So, test drive concluded. Car is mint. Milleage is low. Eveyrthing pretty much smells new, not a single micro scuff or tear.

Papers are on the bank and they are now checking the dealer, the car, any pending stuff, etc etc. Credit is pre-aproved, answer in 48-72 hours.

Car is gorgeous, drives great. Spec :

A7 3.0 TDI Multitronic, 204ps
    Metallic Oolong black paint
    20 inch , 10 spoke wheels. they are gorgeous
    Beije Valcona leather interior with very dark brown console. looks the business
    Wallnut wood trims
    automatic, 4 zone air con
    3 spoke, s line steering wheel in leather, heated
    eletric steering adjustments
    rear and back cameras
    parking assist
    head up display
    electric tailgate
    MMI plus with touch
    Audi connect with bluetooth
    Bose suround system

no homelink, no google earth shambles, no nightvision, no heated&vented seats oh well... can't have everything.

Still couldnt phantom if it has either sport suspension or air suspension. If I went into the CAR menu, it gave me the options of DYNAMIC, CONFORT, etc but dont know if that was for the gearbox or for the supension or for both

anyway, took it for a long ride and comfort is great, punch is good ( was worried about "only" 204ps ) , perfect suitable for city driving and mild highway crusing ( up to 100-110 mph or 160-175kph ). Confort is good with 20 inches, so all is good.

Shaked hands, went to the bank and started the whole thing : hopefully by the end of the week, I'll belong to the A7 club. Funny thing, at 38 years of age buying an A7 and I'm hopeless excited about it - mind you, my previous family car was a F01 BMW 750i and my sports car is a Porsche 996 Turbo. But there is something special about the A7... Bit sad that isnt the 245hp with a few more goodies, but this will do for what is intended - and with style

0 0 0

9. Re: wanna be A7 buyer : viewing a car and lots of questions ! help please ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Sounds great, hope it all goes through smoothly for you and you are cruising about in an A7 soon. Let us know when you pick it up and remember to post some photos up. That interior sounds lovely.

0 0 0

10. Re: wanna be A7 buyer : viewing a car and lots of questions ! help please ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To see if it has air suspension, go to the car menu, select individual and see if you can change the suspension settings between comfort, auto and dynamic. If you can, it has air suspension.
    Mine - 2011 A7 3.0 TDi Quattro SE
    Hers - 2013 Mk7 Golf GT 1.4 DSG

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast