Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all
    Please can anyone help me with this problem - my Audi A4 TDI100 2001 isn't starting when cold. If the car has been used and is warm or the weather is warm then it starts ok (probably due to Audi's being good starters or pure luck!)
    If really cold or I've not used it for a while, I have to choke it to start it which obviously is draining the battery.
    We've been working on it for a few days trying to eliminate the problem.
    FYI there is no power to the glow plugs. So far, we have replaced the glow plugs, checked all fuses and fitted a new 202 relay (gutted as seem to have spent £32 for nothing).
    We now have a coolant temperature sensor on order which will be replaced once received.
    Additionally, the glow plug light on the dash stays on only for a few seconds if that; almost going out immediately.
    Tonight, I've also been to fetch the spare key to try tomorrow as some forums mention older keys contributing to starting problems.
    I'm quite clearly not a petrol head (I'm a girl) but working hard with my Dad to try and resolve.
    Dad's an old school mechanic so anything slightly technical (you should see the size of his mobile) and we're into unknown territory but we are determined this won't beat us. The car drives beautifully and really do not want to get rid of it, additionally don't really have the money to replace.
    However, it is proving quite irksome and giving me the hump!
    Your help is much appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A4 1.9 TDI100 2001 cold starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    You are posting in the wrong section,copy it and go to the audiA4 b6 section and we'll start giving some help from the bruvvers.
    A4 B6,A4B7Quattro,MK4 Golf,MK5Golf gone and well forgotten,MK6Golf.

1 0 0

3. Re: Audi A4 1.9 TDI100 2001 cold starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get someone with VCDS to scan the car for fault codes. I'd change the CTS as well, buy genuine CTS only!

1 0 0

4. Re: Audi A4 1.9 TDI100 2001 cold starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nevo View Post
    You are posting in the wrong section,copy it and go to the audiA4 b6 section and we'll start giving some help from the bruvvers.
    Cheers nevo ... the website is quite busy and couldn't see the wood for the trees! I'll try again.

0 0 0

5. Audi A4 1.9 TDI100 2001 cold starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all
    Please can anyone help me with this problem - my Audi A4 TDI100 2001 isn't starting when cold. If the car has been used and is warm or the weather is warm then it starts ok (probably due to Audi's being good starters or pure luck!)
    If really cold or I've not used it for a while, I have to choke it to start it which obviously is draining the battery.
    We've been working on it for a few days trying to eliminate the problem.
    FYI there is no power to the glow plugs. So far, we have replaced the glow plugs, checked all fuses and fitted a new 202 relay (gutted as seem to have spent £32 for nothing).
    We now have a coolant temperature sensor on order which will be replaced once received.
    Additionally, the glow plug light on the dash stays on only for a few seconds if that; almost going out immediately.
    Tonight, I've also been to fetch the spare key to try tomorrow as some forums mention older keys contributing to starting problems.
    I'm quite clearly not a petrol head (I'm a girl) but working hard with my Dad to try and resolve.
    Dad's an old school mechanic so anything slightly technical (you should see the size of his mobile) and we're into unknown territory but we are determined this won't beat us. The car drives beautifully and really do not want to get rid of it, additionally don't really have the money to replace.
    However, it is proving quite irksome and giving me the hump!
    Your help is much appreciated.

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi A4 1.9 TDI100 2001 cold starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Best thing to do is fit the new CTS when it arrives and see if the issue remains.

For peace of mind you'd be wise to get it scanned for faults while you wait.

There doesn't appear to be anyone in Leicester but we have a few near who may be able to assist.

SunnyBard is just south of Leicester in the Countesthorpe area and Floatylite99 is North West in the Hugglescote area. If either of these members are close enough to assist, do let me know and I'll PM them on your behalf as you don't yet have enough posts to send a PM.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

1 0 0

7. Re: Audi A4 1.9 TDI100 2001 cold starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi - thanks for the quick response.
    I'll bear that in mind once the CTS is fitted.
    Either place isn't a million miles away and pretty easy to get too.
    Much appreciated.

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi A4 1.9 TDI100 2001 cold starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    ECU determines to use Glow plugs or not by coolant temperature. I'd advice to get genuine CTS as 'OE' are not great...

1 1 0

9. Re: Audi A4 1.9 TDI100 2001 cold starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Change that coolant temperature sensor!!

1 0 0

10. Re: Audi A4 1.9 TDI100 2001 cold starting problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys,

I'm currently away on business but I'm back next week and would be happy to do a scan of the car if you are still having problem then.
    2001 A4 130 TDi SE

2 0 0

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast