Notices
 

  

Thread: Potential A3 Owner

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43
  1. Potential A3 Owner 
    #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Burnley, England
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi all,

    Been browsing the site for a few days and thought I'd sign up!

    I'm looking at buying a 2010 A3 Sportback. It's a 2.0 litre diesel with around 30,000 miles on the clock.

    The only problem I have is that there's no service history. Part of me is thinking that it's only 3 years old - what could be so bad? But another part of me is wary when spending best part of 17k!

    I took it for a test drive today and it seemed fine although I know very little about cars!

    It's being sold by a large car supermarket - would it be stupid to buy with no service history? Also is there any common faults or issues I should be aware of?

    Thanks a lot!
     

  2. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23,371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    930
    Thanked 750 Times in 714 Posts
    You could always ring Audi on 0800 699 888 (giving them the reg) to see if any history is present, it should've been serviced at least once.
     

  3. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    308
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    In truth the biggest issue will probably be come resale time when other buyers may be put off. However, if you can establish a service history as Chris says you may get a well priced car (which is rare at supermarkets imo).
    2013 Mk7 Golf GT 2.0tdi DSG
    2005 A3 Sportback 2.0tdi Sport DSG
    Previous:
    2006 A6 Avant 3.0tdi Quattro Le Mans
    2004 A4 Avant 3.0 (petrol) Quattro Sport
     

  4. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Burnley, England
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks chaps

    I'll give Audi a ring tomorrow and see if they have anything.

    I'm planning on keeping it for a good few years so hopefully I'll be able to build up a bit of history.

    Is there any common faults with the A3's that I should look out for?

    Thanks
     

  5. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23,371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    930
    Thanked 750 Times in 714 Posts
    Facelift cars are pretty much sorted, have had my 2009 since December 2011 with 27k and now in October 2013 its on 79k.

    Only thing was a faulty sensor covered under warranty, no other faults apart rom servicing so they're pretty reliable.

    If you do buy the car get the oil changed every 10k.
     

  6. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Burnley, England
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah I normally get my current car serviced every 10k.

    If I ring Audi and they say theres no service history on their system, should I stay clear or should I just get someone to give it a good looking over?

    Thanks
     

  7. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23,371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    930
    Thanked 750 Times in 714 Posts
    A 3 year old car with no service history then I wouldn't touch it imo.

    Do you have a link to the car? Feel free to PM it if you dont wanna publish publicly.
     

  8. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Surely the DIS would indicate the time to next service/oil change which would at least show when it was reset (doesn't mean a service was done though!).
     

  9. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    East Kent
    Posts
    389
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
    I've had experience with researching and buying from car supermarkets and mostly all price the cars at the CAP average dealer price range. Audi put an extra 1-2k above the average dealer price on each car and if it is not sold with 3 months (if I remember correctly), they will drop the price to zero profit before transferring to another dealership (that's what they do at my Audi dealer group). Audi's cars are more expensive as they are approved with a warranty, breakdown cover, inspection etc. Most car supermarkets get their cars from lease hire companies or from auction where they were previously company cars and are dispatched with once the warranty runs out. This may explain why the service history has gone missing as it has changed hands amongst companies (Audi is now doing away with the paper service book and making it electronic with the latest cars). Most car supermarkets will do an X point inspection of the car before handing it over and change the oil and filter. Personally, if the car supermarket has done this, I have changed the oil and filter again to ensure that it is the proper spec. Some car supermarkets give a small warranty free of charge, but be very wary of buying any extended warranty that they offer as they are invariably a complete waste of money.

    I would have expected that car to have had an MOT already?

    Are you going to be doing quite a bit of dual carriageway/motorway driving?

    Incidentally, I take it that at 17k this is an S3 or Black Edition? Is it an automatic?
    Current: 2009 Audi A3 2.0tdi 138bhp SE:

    Previous: 2005 A3 1.9tdi SE
     

  10. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Burnley, England
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A6_Chris View Post
    A 3 year old car with no service history then I wouldn't touch it imo.

    Do you have a link to the car? Feel free to PM it if you dont wanna publish publicly.
    My post count is too low to PM you but Ill see if I can find the link - From memory the advert didn't have too much info as it had just arrived so I just went down to see it. In saying that they may have updated it by now so I'll search for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by alankru View Post
    I've had experience with researching and buying from car supermarkets and mostly all price the cars at the CAP average dealer price range. Audi put an extra 1-2k above the average dealer price on each car and if it is not sold with 3 months (if I remember correctly), they will drop the price to zero profit before transferring to another dealership (that's what they do at my Audi dealer group). Audi's cars are more expensive as they are approved with a warranty, breakdown cover, inspection etc. Most car supermarkets get their cars from lease hire companies or from auction where they were previously company cars and are dispatched with once the warranty runs out. This may explain why the service history has gone missing as it has changed hands amongst companies (Audi is now doing away with the paper service book and making it electronic with the latest cars). Most car supermarkets will do an X point inspection of the car before handing it over and change the oil and filter. Personally, if the car supermarket has done this, I have changed the oil and filter again to ensure that it is the proper spec. Some car supermarkets give a small warranty free of charge, but be very wary of buying any extended warranty that they offer as they are invariably a complete waste of money.
    Yeah the saleswoman did mention it had come straight from auction and they also provide a 1 month warranty - If I were to take out further warranty I'd do it independently.

    Quote Originally Posted by alankru View Post
    I would have expected that car to have had an MOT already?
    They've told me it would be put through an MOT before the buyer collects, whether its me or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by alankru View Post
    Are you going to be doing quite a bit of dual carriageway/motorway driving?
    Yeah I do around 70 miles a day, mostly motorway.

    Quote Originally Posted by alankru View Post
    Incidentally, I take it that at 17k this is an S3 or Black Edition? Is it an automatic?
    Advertised at 16.5k - Black edition, manual. It does have a few extras such as cruise control and parking sensors.
     

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Potential New A6 Owner!
    By TheCake in forum Audi A6 - C6 Forum - 2005 - 2010
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 20-08-2013, 01:05 PM
  2. Potential A8 Owner
    By 1stRaven in forum A8 - S8 - V8
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 03:40 PM
  3. Potential A6 Owner
    By chrisg147 in forum Audi A6 - C5 Forum - 1998 - 2004
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-10-2011, 08:29 PM
  4. Potential Owner
    By bingobango78 in forum Q7 - 4L Forum - 2006 - 2015
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 11:56 PM
  5. Potential new owner saying hi!
    By darich in forum Audi A4 - B7 Forum - 2005 - 2008
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




  



Disclaimer: VW Audi Forum is an "independant enthusiast website", and is in no way related to any of the Worldwide Volkswagen,Audi,Seat,Skoda,Bentley,Bugatti,Porsche or Lamborghini group of Companies. For official up to date information on any of there vehicles, please visit the official websites. Any comments made throughout this website, are the views of the respective poster, and in no way represent the views of the VW Audi Forum Administration, or the worldwide Volkswagen & Audi Group of companies.


VW Audi Forum do not vet and are not responsible for any information which is posted in this forum. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and we do not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.


Copyright: Images used on this website by the Administration are "Copyright" of Volkswagen GB, Volkswagen AG (Germany), Audi GB, Audi AG (Germany), Volkswagen Motorsport GB, Volkswagen Motorsport AG (Germany), Audi Motorsport AG (Germany), Volkswagen Racing GB, Bentley, Bugatti, Porsche and Lamborghini. No image can be replicated by anyone WITHOUT the relevent Companies written permission.


All trademarks and copyrights remain property of their respective owners.

No part of the VW Audi Forum website or forum may be reproduced without written permission from the site administration


PLEASE NOTE - PERSONAL ABUSE, ABUSE AGAINST THIS OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE OR ANY COMPANY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. OFFENDERS WILL BE MODERATED OR EVEN BANNED.


This website and forum are best viewed at a minimum resolution of 1024 by 768.



  



- VW AUDI Forum - The #1 Volkswagen (VW) Group Forum - Volkswagen (VW) - Audi - Seat - Skoda - Bentley - Bugatti - Lamborghini - Porsche - VW Audi Forum -


- www.vwaudiforum.co.uk - www.vwaudiforum.co.uk -