Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Been browsing the site for a few days and thought I'd sign up!

I'm looking at buying a 2010 A3 Sportback. It's a 2.0 litre diesel with around 30,000 miles on the clock.

The only problem I have is that there's no service history. Part of me is thinking that it's only 3 years old - what could be so bad? But another part of me is wary when spending best part of £17k!

I took it for a test drive today and it seemed fine although I know very little about cars!

It's being sold by a large car supermarket - would it be stupid to buy with no service history? Also is there any common faults or issues I should be aware of?

Thanks a lot!

0 0 0

2. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    You could always ring Audi on 0800 699 888 (giving them the reg) to see if any history is present, it should've been serviced at least once.

0 0 0

3. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In truth the biggest issue will probably be come resale time when other buyers may be put off. However, if you can establish a service history as Chris says you may get a well priced car (which is rare at supermarkets imo).
    2013 Mk7 Golf GT 2.0tdi DSG
    2005 A3 Sportback 2.0tdi Sport DSG
    Previous:
    2006 A6 Avant 3.0tdi Quattro Le Mans
    2004 A4 Avant 3.0 (petrol) Quattro Sport

0 0 0

4. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks chaps

I'll give Audi a ring tomorrow and see if they have anything.

I'm planning on keeping it for a good few years so hopefully I'll be able to build up a bit of history.

Is there any common faults with the A3's that I should look out for?

Thanks

0 0 0

5. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Facelift cars are pretty much sorted, have had my 2009 since December 2011 with 27k and now in October 2013 its on 79k.

Only thing was a faulty sensor covered under warranty, no other faults apart rom servicing so they're pretty reliable.

If you do buy the car get the oil changed every 10k.

0 0 0

6. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I normally get my current car serviced every 10k.

If I ring Audi and they say theres no service history on their system, should I stay clear or should I just get someone to give it a good looking over?

Thanks

0 0 0

7. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    A 3 year old car with no service history then I wouldn't touch it imo.

Do you have a link to the car? Feel free to PM it if you dont wanna publish publicly.

0 0 0

8. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Surely the DIS would indicate the time to next service/oil change which would at least show when it was reset (doesn't mean a service was done though!).

0 0 0

9. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had experience with researching and buying from car supermarkets and mostly all price the cars at the CAP average dealer price range. Audi put an extra £1-2k above the average dealer price on each car and if it is not sold with 3 months (if I remember correctly), they will drop the price to zero profit before transferring to another dealership (that's what they do at my Audi dealer group). Audi's cars are more expensive as they are approved with a warranty, breakdown cover, inspection etc. Most car supermarkets get their cars from lease hire companies or from auction where they were previously company cars and are dispatched with once the warranty runs out. This may explain why the service history has gone missing as it has changed hands amongst companies (Audi is now doing away with the paper service book and making it electronic with the latest cars). Most car supermarkets will do an X point inspection of the car before handing it over and change the oil and filter. Personally, if the car supermarket has done this, I have changed the oil and filter again to ensure that it is the proper spec. Some car supermarkets give a small warranty free of charge, but be very wary of buying any extended warranty that they offer as they are invariably a complete waste of money.

I would have expected that car to have had an MOT already?

Are you going to be doing quite a bit of dual carriageway/motorway driving?

Incidentally, I take it that at £17k this is an S3 or Black Edition? Is it an automatic?
    Previous: 2005 A3 1.9tdi SE
    2009 Audi A3 2.0tdi 138bhp SE

0 0 0

10. Re: Potential A3 Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6_Chris View Post
    A 3 year old car with no service history then I wouldn't touch it imo.

Do you have a link to the car? Feel free to PM it if you dont wanna publish publicly.
    My post count is too low to PM you but Ill see if I can find the link - From memory the advert didn't have too much info as it had just arrived so I just went down to see it. In saying that they may have updated it by now so I'll search for it.

Quote Originally Posted by alankru View Post
    I've had experience with researching and buying from car supermarkets and mostly all price the cars at the CAP average dealer price range. Audi put an extra £1-2k above the average dealer price on each car and if it is not sold with 3 months (if I remember correctly), they will drop the price to zero profit before transferring to another dealership (that's what they do at my Audi dealer group). Audi's cars are more expensive as they are approved with a warranty, breakdown cover, inspection etc. Most car supermarkets get their cars from lease hire companies or from auction where they were previously company cars and are dispatched with once the warranty runs out. This may explain why the service history has gone missing as it has changed hands amongst companies (Audi is now doing away with the paper service book and making it electronic with the latest cars). Most car supermarkets will do an X point inspection of the car before handing it over and change the oil and filter. Personally, if the car supermarket has done this, I have changed the oil and filter again to ensure that it is the proper spec. Some car supermarkets give a small warranty free of charge, but be very wary of buying any extended warranty that they offer as they are invariably a complete waste of money.
    Yeah the saleswoman did mention it had come straight from auction and they also provide a 1 month warranty - If I were to take out further warranty I'd do it independently.

I would have expected that car to have had an MOT already?
    They've told me it would be put through an MOT before the buyer collects, whether its me or not.

Are you going to be doing quite a bit of dual carriageway/motorway driving?
    Yeah I do around 70 miles a day, mostly motorway.

Incidentally, I take it that at £17k this is an S3 or Black Edition? Is it an automatic?
    Advertised at £16.5k - Black edition, manual. It does have a few extras such as cruise control and parking sensors.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast