Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Timing belt change at 32k miles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Timing belt change at 32k miles? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi folks.

Just bought a 2.0 TDI Audi A4 new shape 2008 model. Lovely car.

Now I've read that the timing belt should be changed every 5 years or 60000 miles, whichever comes first.

However, whilst my Audi has hit the 5 year mark, it's only done 32000 miles, which is obviously only half the recommended mileage change time.

So I was just wondering if I could wait a while longer or whether it's worth sticking to the 5 year limit despite such low mileage? I will probably get it changed eventually for peace of mind, but should I be in a rush to do it or could I safely do it within the next 6-12 months?

I know Audi guidelines are always going to be ultra ultra safe so they don't end up getting the blame, but I'd like to hear more real world opinions on whether I should be concerned.

Cheers.

0 0 0

2. Re: Timing belt change at 32k miles? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I always stick to 60k or 4 years whichever comes first and have done through all my driving life.

It's your car at the end of the day but prevention is better than cure and a cambelt change is cheaper than a new engine

Your car is also under the fixed price servicing regime - Fixed-price servicing < Servicing with Audi < Owners area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 1 0

3. Re: Timing belt change at 32k miles? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6_Chris View Post
    I always stick to 60k or 4 years whichever comes first and have done through all my driving life.

It's your car at the end of the day but prevention is better than cure and a cambelt change is cheaper than a new engine

Your car is also under the fixed price servicing regime - Fixed-price servicing < Servicing with Audi < Owners area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I completely agree. That's why I do intend on getting the belt changed eventually.

If it reached 5 years and the car was at 60k miles then I would have no hesitation in putting the car in for a timing belt change ASAP. However, due to the low mileage, I'm just wondering if there's the same sort of risk or whether I'm fairly safe in doing it sometime within the next 6-12 months.

I probably will wait a little while just to help spread these costs out after buying the car, but it's more for peace of mind as to whether I should be paranoid in the mean time.

0 0 0

4. Re: Timing belt change at 32k miles? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    the greatest strain on a belt is when it starts up. the eblt has to overcome the inertia of the cam shaft. sat on a motorway at 70 mph , well, it could do that for 100k miles no problem, but short distances, start stop, all take their toll. the 5 years is how long its been exposed to the elements, heat, hot, then cold, fine water mist and sat that does get in the housing where it lives. basically, when vw say 5 years they mean 5 years, whether the car has been started or not. sure, people will tell you they have lasted 25 years and never been changed, all in know is the bill i write out each time i fix one would pay for a nice little holiday, so your call really.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

5. Re: Timing belt change at 32k miles? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you know you have to do it anyway why take your chances to have it snapped?

0 1 0

6. Re: Timing belt change at 32k miles? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    the greatest strain on a belt is when it starts up. the eblt has to overcome the inertia of the cam shaft. sat on a motorway at 70 mph , well, it could do that for 100k miles no problem, but short distances, start stop, all take their toll. the 5 years is how long its been exposed to the elements, heat, hot, then cold, fine water mist and sat that does get in the housing where it lives. basically, when vw say 5 years they mean 5 years, whether the car has been started or not. sure, people will tell you they have lasted 25 years and never been changed, all in know is the bill i write out each time i fix one would pay for a nice little holiday, so your call really.
    The low mileage over 5 years would suggest that it's only been used for short journeys. Plus, I'll only be using it for short journeys myself 95% of the time with a lot of stop-starts.

For that reason, it might be worth getting it done sooner rather than later. Cheers.

0 0 0

7. Re: Timing belt change at 32k miles? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turpal View Post
    If you know you have to do it anyway why take your chances to have it snapped?
    the motortrade needs people not to change them though as its a grand at least each time one goes pop.

0 0 0

8. Re: Timing belt change at 32k miles? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same dilema when I bought my A4 at 5 years old and 51000 miles. In the end I decided to do the belt a year later at 58000 miles. As everyone is saying, it's your choice, your risk.

0 0 0

9. Re: Timing belt change at 32k miles? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    the motortrade needs people not to change them though as its a grand at least each time one goes pop.
    I personally would rather do a cambelt and see it out the door.My Superb has only done 3,500 miles and 10 years old,the belt had no cracks and looked like new but I changed it along with the water pump.Now if I sell it I can honestly say thats been done using a genuine parts.

1 1 0

10. Re: Timing belt change at 32k miles? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    there is a certain amount of satisfaction saying 'told you to change it' to someone that insists you are wrong, the manufacturer is wrong and the belt will last for 25 years though.

1 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast