Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2008 Golf Estate 2.0 TDI SE - Bonnet wouldn't close fully - fixed it!

1. 2008 Golf Estate 2.0 TDI SE - Bonnet wouldn't close fully - fixed it! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Opened the bonnet and checked the oil and other fluids today as I've got a long journey tomorrow. Topped up as necessary, nothing out of the ordinary, then I tried to close the bonnet again. Hmmm, it bounced back up to the safety catch! That shouldn't happen, so I opened bonnet again to check if something was fouling - nope, tried again to close it, same thing happened. Now I know they have a reputation for seizing so every time I've serviced the car I've lubricated the bonnet catch. But it was becoming obvious that the bit operated by the cable had seized, and that couldn't be seen without some dismantling. Thought I'd better fix it as I didn't fancy a long journey with the bonnet flapping up. "A stitch in time" and all that.

Solution: undid the 2 torx screws at the top of the radiator grill, unhooked the plastic clips and hooks and leant the grill forward to access the 3 torx screws that hold the bonnet catch. Removed the 3 torx screws, unclipped the wiring protection tube, then removed the bonnet catch upwards sufficiently to turn it over to examine where the cable locates on the pivot. It was filthy, with a dried accumulation of dirt, old grease and rust. Went to it with a wire brush to remove it, then lubricated the cable and pivot with light oil. Used a screwdriver to lever the pivot to get it moving again, then gradually worked it back and forth, adding more drops of oil to lubricate it thoroughly. When I was satisfied that it was working properly I put the catch assembly back into the slot, reclipped the wiring protection tube back into place and put the 3 torx screws back, tightening them fully after the catch had been lined up properly. Re attached the grill with the plastic hooks each side then refitted the 2 torx screws at the top. Finally clipped in the two plastic hooks at the top which completed the job.

Closed the bonnet which locked perfectly this time. Turned on the ignition to ensure the "bonnet open" warning light remained off, which it did. Job done! Cost nothing except for about an hour of my time. I still can't see how it can be lubricated regularly at the pivot without removing the catch assembly so lets hope it lasts at least another 5 years before I have to do it again. Should take me half the time next time too (if there is a next time).

Ron

0 1 0

2. Re: 2008 Golf Estate 2.0 TDI SE - Bonnet wouldn't close fully - fixed it! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had exactly the same experience about 2 years ago and like you, hoped my clean-up job would last me many more years. Unfortunately, it only lasted about a year before playing up again so I ended up fitting a new bonnet latch from VW. Fortunately they only cost around £30 and are easy to fit. See Stuart Dalby - 2005 Volkswagen Golf Mk 5 - New Bonnet Latch

Stuart
    Stuart Dalby - 2005 Volkswagen Golf Mk 5

1 0 0

3. Re: 2008 Golf Estate 2.0 TDI SE - Bonnet wouldn't close fully - fixed it! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nearly 3 1/2 years later it is still working fine.

0 0 0