Notices

User Tag List

Thread: google earth - just a data sim ?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. google earth - just a data sim ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have an A7 with google earth built into the MMI system, this needs a sim card to run. my question is, can i use a data sim to do this rather than a fully functional sim. and would my phone still work for the phone calls and not try to go through the installed 'data sim' . so 2 questions there then.

0 0 0

2. Re: goggle earth - just a data sim ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    There's a couple of big threads on the google maps thing both in this section (a7) and the c7 a6 section - Audi A6 - C7 Forum - 2011-

0 0 0

3. Re: goggle earth - just a data sim ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    your right, they are big threads. thanks for that

0 0 0

4. Re: goggle earth - just a data sim ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    If it helps, I got a T-Mobile broadband SIM for my A6. It's £7.50 a month with a 1GB data allowance. This is left in the car and I use my BlackBerry for all other phone functions, but mine is a 2014 model which allows you to insert a SIM into the car and still use your phone with the Bluetooth connection. This was a fairly recent change (June 2013?) and previous A6/A7 models would disconnect the Bluetooth connection as soon as you inserted a SIM into the dashboard.

Neil.
    Current: 2013 A6 2.0 S-line manual, moonlight blue, tech pack, adaptive xenons, heated front seats, storage and lighting pack
    Previous: 2007 A6 2.0 TDI SE

0 0 0

5. Re: goggle earth - just a data sim ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats exactly what i want to do. my A7 is a 2011 but has been fully serviced, i wonder if the software needed to do this was done when the car was updated at service, do any of the tech guys reading this would know ? Neil S - does the MMI menu offer this when you insert the sim ?

0 0 0

6. Re: goggle earth - just a data sim ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I believe it was a hardware change that allowed you to have a dash-mounted SIM and still use the Bluetooth connection, but don't take my word for it. I'm sure I've read somewhere here that it's not just a software update.

And yes, the phone settings in the MMI allow you to specify whether you want to make calls from the bonded handset or inserted SIM.

Neil.
    Current: 2013 A6 2.0 S-line manual, moonlight blue, tech pack, adaptive xenons, heated front seats, storage and lighting pack
    Previous: 2007 A6 2.0 TDI SE

0 0 0

7. Re: goggle earth - just a data sim ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    So if mine is currently being built it should come with the new hardware allowing me to use GE and my phone at the same time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

8. Re: goggle earth - just a data sim ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, go on, rub it in

0 0 0

9. Re: goggle earth - just a data sim ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Sorry....but only a little bit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

1 1 0

10. Re: goggle earth - just a data sim ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Full disclosure first is that I work for Vodafone so as a result I have a Vodafone SIM (on contract) in my car that supports voice and data just because I don't pay much for it.

But the best deal if you just want data is to buy a Three 3GB 3 Month PAYG data only SIM off Amazon for about £12 like this one Three Mobile Broadband Ready to Go 3GB Preloaded Data: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (which works out at £4 per month)

Then at the end of 3 months you just throw it away and get a new one off Amazon

The Three data network is very good indeed and I have personally used this in my car in the past and it works really well (within the UK)

To give you an idea on data usage, last week I had the system fully connected with Google Earth maps enabled on my drive back from a small village near Cognac in France, up to Calais and then from Folkstone to Lincolnshire. This was almost 1000km and clearly a journey that I had not driven before so the maps were not cached.

Total data used = 158MB and of course if I were to drive that journey again tomorrow, I would not use anywhere near that bandwidth because the data is now cached. On a typical month, it is rare I see the data usage go over 200MB so a 1GB per month SIM is plenty

The only reason I would not consider the Three SIM is if I wanted to use it outside of the UK

0 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast