Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Why take off the 8mm hex bolts on rear brake disc change?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Why take off the 8mm hex bolts on rear brake disc change? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all

I changed my rusted to hell rear discs and pads yesterday. Having read 4 separate guides, watched on youtube - I followed the agreed upon process of removing the two 13mm bolts with 15mm stay nuts. Then after removing the calliper, getting a 8mm allen key to remove the two 8mm hex bolts that connect the disc bracket. Knowing they were going to be trouble, I soaked them for 30 mins in WD40. Well after 2 hours, snapping the allen key in half, and then breaking a '8mm hex breakers bar'!!! the bolt had not moved at all. Putting my hand down on the disc, it came loose and I removed it. So why oh why do people write you need to remove the bracket that 'holds the disc'. You dont. Leave those two 8mm hex bolts well alone, just remove the calliper and slide out the disc. Please spread the word!

BTW - fitted EBC USR slotted and yellow pads. Very nice, would recommend both. No brake noise what so ever, I know its only the back but feels good under reasonable braking.

The old discs and pads were awful. The edge had rusted badly to the point where the disc surface was falling away, pads were wearing in a U (never seen that before with the bottom of the U towards the disc). Must of had 2 to 3 mm of wear. Should have replaced them last year when I bought the car. Also a bit surprised it got through the swedish MOT (besiktning) in March.

0 0 0

2. Re: Why take off the 8mm hex bolts on rear brake disc change? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You're quite correct Tim, those bolts don't need to be touched for a disc change. It might be prudent to find a way to remove and change them whilst you have no problems, then, if the occasion arrives whereupon you HAVE to remove them,you'll have a nice clean copaslipped set of bolts that will be a doddle to remove. Preventative maintenance saves so much hassle.

0 0 0

3. Re: Why take off the 8mm hex bolts on rear brake disc change? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the hex bolts are badly damaged you can hammer on a 12 point socket and get them off that way (if you have a bolt extractor ignore this)

0 0 0

4. Re: Why take off the 8mm hex bolts on rear brake disc change? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies. Bobfish, after the experience, I am loathed to go near them again, but next time the car is up on a lift I might give all 4 a go. I am going to buy a 8mm Hex socket and cut down the length of the hex bit. Hopefully that, with a solid breakers bar behind it, might do it. I used silicon grease on the top bolts - is copper better for these then?

Doc'Odd - thanks. I will have a 12 point ready, if the above doesnt work! Plus my dremmel, a few bolt extractors and what ever else I can find.

0 0 0

5. Re: Why take off the 8mm hex bolts on rear brake disc change? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I should think the silicone grease will be fine, it's just that the copaslip won't harden or dry with time.

0 0 0

6. Re: Why take off the 8mm hex bolts on rear brake disc change? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Bob, sopaslip doesn't get much of a mention any more, old school technology I love it. (even tho it's supposed to not be used any more because it's conductive)!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfish45 View Post
    I should think the silicone grease will be fine, it's just that the copaslip won't harden or dry with time.

0 0 0

7. Re: Why take off the 8mm hex bolts on rear brake disc change? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Best way to get them out is to soak with wd or similar, use an 8mm allen socket on a breaker bar, and have a set of vice grips round the outside to spread the load, never failed to get a set out this way, and no you dont need them off unless the carrier is knackered!

Dan
    2002 A4 B6 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport - Mods to date... Too Many To List!

0 0 0

8. Re: Why take off the 8mm hex bolts on rear brake disc change? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I can't release the 8mm Allen bolts on my 2004 a4 1.9 diesel either. I have tried to remove the disks without removing the caliper bracket as suggested, but cannot see how this is achievable - it just won't squeeze past the hub! Are all of the rear brake systems the same? Or am I missing something?

0 0 0

9. Re: Why take off the 8mm hex bolts on rear brake disc change? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    You do not need to remove the caliper carrier to get the discs off,pull out the disc opposite the carrier and slide it out,just clean the areas around the carrier where the pads sit,bit of anti seize sorted.those bolts are VERY tight,you'll need quality equipment or you'll strip them out.
    A4 B6,A4B7Quattro,MK4 Golf,MK5Golf gone and well forgotten,MK6Golf.

0 0 0

10. Re: Why take off the 8mm hex bolts on rear brake disc change? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same problem as Panfield, well almost the same problem, I had to replace my worn down discs, had the same problem with the seized bolts. I managed to get the old discs off without removing the bracket because the inside cavity of the tophat shape was bigger due to some of the metal corroding away, I still had to use some force to get them out past the bracket. I couldnt get the new discs on without filing a 1mm chamfer on the inside of the top hat and then had to sort of bang them with my hand to get them on. Maybe the dimensions of the bracket are slightly different between batches? I assume it was audi's intention that to take the disc off the bracket would normally need to be removed?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast