Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Sharan Starting problem...Stumped!!

1. Sharan Starting problem...Stumped!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    I have a 1997 2.0 Auto Sharan that suddenly developed a very odd problem, went out in it then when I went to come home ignition switched on but nothing when I turned to the starting position, almost as if I wasnt in "P" or "N" which I was. I also noticed that I could move the auto selector to any position even if my foot was not on the brake. Lifting the bonet I could start the car if the ignition was on and I opened the starter relay casing and physically squeezed the contacts together, so for some reason the starter relay is not being energised. The little switch that tells it its in "P" or "N" seems to be fine, assuming that I have checked the right switch.... anyone any ideas..

Many thanks

Kev

0 0 0

2. Update 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Having now examined the starter relay it is apparent that the 12v supply is present on the one side of the relay coil when the ignition is turned to start but for some reason no -ve (earth) is present on the other side of the relay coil which explains why the relay is not getting energised and passing current to the starter solenoid. As a quick fix I have soldered a small wire onto the back of the circuit board on the -ve side of the relay coil and soldered the other end to a -ve connection point on the circuit board, re-assembled the relay and the car now starts with the key as it should; however I have obviously bypassed something not sure if its to do with the imobiliser or the auto saftey switch which prevents the car being started in drive, I suspect the later as I can move the auto selector into gear without having my foot on the brake which used to be impossible before this annoying fault developed. If anyone knows anything about the location of these saftey switch or switches I would appreciate some input.

Many thanks

Kev

0 0 0

3. Re: Sharan Starting problem...Stumped!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it could be the inhibitor switch on the selector, when you press the button on the gear selector in this operates a switch on the lever, to access the switch remove the knob on the lever (5mm or 6 mm allen bolt under top of knob) pull off knob,lever cover, selector gate,under selector gate,attached to the lever is a switch with a brass screw, the screw controls the height of the switch, screw it anticlockwise 1/2 turn at a time (can't remember which is correct way) and try to start car in normal way if no success try the other way, hope this helps you

0 0 0