1. Want to convert to xenon headlights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello all, only thing I am finding fault with my A6 is the halogen headlights, my last car had HID's...has anyone here converted their Audi to HID's or xenon..would I have to buy Audi original headlight units or could I do a HID conversion?

Pete

0 0 0

2. Re: Want to convert to xenon headlights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I'm not sure on your NCT regs but in the uk you need washer jets for the headlamps and self levellers for the suspension as part of the light levelling.

These are big bucks to retrofit and most people just end up putting good quality legal bulbs in like OSRAM Nightbreakers or Philips Xtreme vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Want to convert to xenon headlights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Chris...thanks for the advice...I might just put the Osram bulbs in and save the money and have the car remapped. Loving the A6 so far.

Pete.

0 0 0

4. Re: Want to convert to xenon headlights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bearing in mind they aren't strictly legal (it's an Audi, the authorities wouldn't second guess!), the aftermarket HID conversion kits are quite good.
    Just don't go for a silly temperature, stick around 4300-5000k.

They fit in the H7/H1 etc Halogen slots using specifically based bulbs (make sure you buy the right ones for your car).
    Just ensure you buy UV cut and CANBUS kits.
    UV Cut will protect your polycarbonate lenses (which will otherwise 'yellow').
    The CANBUS models will prevent dash bulb warnings.
    You might also like to check they have a blacked-out bulb tip (like halogen's do) to prevent 'dazzling' other motorists.
    Most headlight units have sufficient room to mount the ballast and wiring inside the unit itself making a total "plug and play" installation.
    2001 Audi S8 - Solar sunroof, heated front and rear seats (just what you need in Australia!), tint, RNS-D, XCarlink, Bose, clunky old phone in arm rest! 1997 Audi A4Q - Hamilton's Club Sport, 5sp man, full leather, sunroof, ASA AR1 17's, Clarion with 12 stacker in boot. 1986 Holden Calais - Velour, 5.0 V8 (Holden 304), Trimatic, Simmons F90 16's, project car (well, 6 years ago...)

0 0 0

5. Re: Want to convert to xenon headlights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
    to prevent 'dazzling' other motorists.
    This is also the reason why Xenon headlights have to have self-levelling and headlamp washers. The washers cut down on the scattering of light into other drivers' eyes, caused by dirt on the lenses. Each time I get dazzled by a car with not-quite-dipped surgical laser headlights, I think, "Another ar5ehole with a cheap HID conversion". Don't do it, mate. The Philips Xtreme or Osram Nightbreakers are by far the better choice.

I had the Philips 80% brighter in my last car. It made quite a difference and I didn't get flashed, because the beam pattern was unchanged. Also, the Philips have slightly better quality control. And I think they've increased the output a bit recently as well.
    12-plate Audi A3 Black Edition 2.0 TFSi S-tronic Sportback in Ice Silver with DVD Sat Nav, Bose sound system, xenon headlights, Bluetooth, voice control, heated full leather seats, full electric driver's seat adjustment, privacy glass, heated auto dimming power-folding mirrors, titanium grey Rotor-style alloys, auto lights & wipers, and tyre pressure monitoring.

0 0 0

6. Re: Want to convert to xenon headlights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Kar...I think I'll take the advice given and go with the Philips...I had xenon on my Alfa and loved them...are bulbs easy to change on an Audi?

Pete.

0 0 0

7. Re: Want to convert to xenon headlights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Do a search in the forum, on the c6 some people find it easier to remove the air filter housing for drivers side and detach the power steering reservoir on the passenger side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

8. Re: Want to convert to xenon headlights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bought some Osram Nightbreakers, went to change the bulbs...what a job..I thought my Alfa 159 was tough..the switch from xenon's on my Alfa to halogen in the A6 is like night and day

Pete

0 0 0