1. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Vw tech has replaced corroded terminals and has now succeeded in re-programming the ECU with the latest software. The two fault codes are now cleared. However, the pressure measurement difference at idol, between the MAF and MAP sensors is now different by around 200mBar. This is seemingly worse than before (around 53mBar different) the wiring loom and ECU contacts were replaced. This of course could be a true reading from a broken sensor (now that the wires are connecting properly) or could be a loose connection after re-connecting the loom. As I left work today in the courtesy car again, the master tech was back on wiring check duties. He has got to be getting close now, there's not much left to change! Gremlins...

0 0 0

2. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I was wondering if you ever managed to rectify this problem? I have the exact same symptoms.

0 0 0

3. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I have now succeeded in getting my car repaired, finally. Bearing in mind how disappointing it is to get to the end of reading a thread without actually finding out what happened in the end, by people moving to private messages or just giving up on the thread, I'm back to tell the happy ending!

VW Parkway at Derby had the car for exactly 4 weeks in the end. They eventually cured the MAP (turbo boost pressure sensor)/MAF pressure reading difference of 200mBar by replacing the same section of wiring loom again! This left a negligible 3mBar differential. Unfortunately this did not cure the under-boosting problem and the only thing that they could say was that the problem was within the turbo, to which they offered to put a new one on for the princely sum of £1400 or they could sell me another car! As I had already had the turbo refurbished at Midland Turbo in Nottingham I thought this was unlikely, but they are the experts right? I got them to write their diagnosis on VW letter headed paper and stumped up the cash for an independent garage to take the turbo off again with the thought that if there was an issue with the turbo, Midland Turbo would then refund the money that I had paid to the garage and give me the money back for the refurbishment too.

Turns out that they tested the turbo and no fault was found. As they test the turbo with compressed air instead of hot exhaust gas, I agreed to pay £60 to have the turbo stripped down for a thorough internal inspection. They found no issue, and said that if it was a temperature related issue (expanding parts getting stuck) they would have seen signs of scoring on the metalwork. The very professional chap at Midland Turbo (Andy) then went through the symptoms of the problem on the car (far beyond what could be expected from a turbo refurbishment outfit) but everything he suggested had already been tried. He then put me onto a guy called Greg who owns a garage in Nottingham called 'Small Engines' that deal mostly with VAG cars and said that he had a good track record for finding faults like this.

After quizzing poor Greg to test whether I thought he was capable of fixing my car (bearing in mind the extensive history and money already spent trying to rectify this fault) I had the turbo put back on and took it to him. After some time and methodical fault finding, he found that the Diesel Particulate Filter was heavily blocked which he managed to clear with a Wurth cleaner. He also found that the turbo boost pressure sensor was measuring incorrectly, and it had a hole blown in it which was leaking boost air pressure. I have no idea why this had happened as I had already replaced it with a new one. He did say that it was not a genuine Bosch sensor, and that it actually looked old! The car had ben to two garages since I had fitted the sensor, so who knows. This was replaced with a genuine part. He then calibrated the differential pressure sensor that should detect when the DPF is blocked, and MOT'd the car as it ran out when the car was there. He spent around a day's worth of hours on my car in total, and the total bill came to approx £380. In summary, Greg has got the most professional, competent, helpful, trustworthy and friendly garage outfit that I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. If you have a car problem, you are anywhere near to Nottingham, and no one else can help maybe you should hire…

170 horses fully back, after nearly scrapping the car in despair. Yippee!

ps Many thanks for all the help given in this thread.

0 0 0

4. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Top man, Thanks for taking the time to update. J.V

0 0 0

5. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just to add....

I've had this exact same problem with my Passat, 192,000 miles on the clock, 2006 reg, 170 bhp.

Always in 6th gear going up hill, the coil light would come on and the car would go into limp mode. Couldn't use cruise control until either the fault had been cleared or I turned the ignition of for a couple of minutes. Checked all the obvious, vacuum etc..
    P0299 on the diagnostics.

Couple of weeks ago the dpf light came on, limp mode etc..

So I forced a re-gen, on the motorway for an hour in 4th at 3000rpm, roughly 70mph.
    DPF light went off after about 30 minutes (yes, it took that long) but I kept going for another half hour.

Anyway, since then, the car hasn't gone into limp mode at all. Done over 1000 miles this last couple of weeks.

Car normally used on motorways at 70 mph in cruise control by DD so doesn't get thrashed.
    Maybe that's all it was, the DPF needing clearing out?

0 0 0

6. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    P0299 is turbo underboost so it basically isnt producing enough boost or spinning fast enough. If the Dpf is full or blocked then this would be your reason.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

7. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPPERJACK76 View Post
    P0299 is turbo underboost so it basically isnt producing enough boost or spinning fast enough. If the Dpf is full or blocked then this would be your reason.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Flapperjack. I have this same problem - is mine likely to be a mucky DPF do you think? If so, is it easy to locate and clean out? Thanks.
    I have a 2006 B6 Passat 140 BHP Sport estate BKP engine code.

0 0 0

8. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Morning guys,

I had this issue last night on the M1, was just over-taking a car at about 65-70 then there was a sudden jolt, my foot was flat to the floor and I had no power. Moved over to the left lane and noticed the glow plug light was flashing, I didn't hear a bing as I had the windows down (air con needs a regas!), the stretch of M1 I travel on daily is a "smart motorway" meaning no hard shoulder so had to travel another 3-4 miles before I could pull over and restart the engine.

After restarting the engine the issue cleared and I was able to complete my journey home (another 3 miles on A roads). I drove the car over to a friends in the evening to get it scanned, (round trip of 9 miles), had no issues on the journey although I seem to think the car is a little hesitant and the idle is sometimes a bit lumpy. We cleaned the EGR about a month ago as assumed that was probably the cause.

It's a BMR 170 TDI 2007 with 179k on the clock.

I've driven in to work this morning with no problem, since reading this thread I've realised I've not seen the DPF light for months but I don't drive through town as much as I used to now the kids are older and I'm not doing the school run.

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-018-BMN.clb
    Part No SW: 03G 906 018 AS HW: 03G 906 018 AS
    Component: R4 2.0l PPD1.2 G 9971
    Revision: --H42--- Serial number: VWZCZ000000000
    Coding: 0000072
    Shop #: WSC 00450 210 69121
    VCID: 76E447D6014446F40E-8022

1 Fault Found:
    000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation
    P0299 - 006 - ControlRange Not Reached - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    FaultStatus: 00000001
    FaultPriority: 5
    FaultFrequency: 1
    Resetcounter: 39
    Mileage:288773 km
    TimeIndication: 0
    Date:2019.07.24
    Time:15:38:08

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 2208/min
    Torque:304.0 Nm
    Speed:118.0 km/h
    74.88 %
    Voltage:14.13 V
    Pressure:2321.7 mbar
    Pressure:1895.7 mbar

Readiness: N/A

Any suggestions before I take it for an hour drive on the motorway in 4th later :-)

Many thanks,

Nick.

EGRdirty.jpg EGRclean.jpg
    Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0 TDI SE NAV DSG 4motion 195bhp (Stage 1 remap)

Sheffield, UK

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123