Pressure: 2428.2 mbar
    Pressure: 1640.1 mbar
    Changed:
    MAF, MAP
    Had checked by Crasher:
    Vacuum leaks
    boost pressure leaks
    Got the following from logs:

Car went into limp mode (again) at the end of graph.

So my question is (before I spend a lot of money on getting the turbo refurbished) is there anything else I could check?
    ps. Crasher, I'm the tall long grey haired bloke with the black passat estate.

0 0 0

2. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Welcome to VWAF - sorry I can't help with the diagnosis but see below for the official rosstech meaning for your code.

Good luck!!

16683/P0299/000665 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Should have given more detail...
    Passat Sport TDi 170.

0 0 0

4. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    What is year of car? What engine? Limp due to under boost is rarely a turbo fault because of the way the turbo is actuated.

0 0 0

5. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1810 View Post
    What is year of car? What engine? Limp due to under boost is rarely a turbo fault because of the way the turbo is actuated.
    BMR engine, 2007. I have changed the N75 as well. What is the three wire connection on the actuator, vane position detector? I thought feedback for the amount of boost (actual) was derived from the MAP sensor, not inferred from the vane position.

0 0 0

6. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silversimpson View Post
    BMR engine, 2007. I have changed the N75 as well. What is the three wire connection on the actuator, vane position detector? I thought feedback for the amount of boost (actual) was derived from the MAP sensor, not inferred from the vane position.
    It is feedback for actuator function (so ecu knows it's working) boost feedback is from MAP as you say. I think you have a vacuum leak, either in a pipe or the actuator its self. The loss of vacuum is allowing the actuator to drop back and reduce boost too much. I assume the engine hasn't been remapped.

0 0 0

7. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is feedback for actuator function (so ecu knows it's working) boost feedback is from MAP as you say. I think you have a vacuum leak, either in a pipe or the actuator its self. The loss of vacuum is allowing the actuator to drop back and reduce boost too much. I assume the engine hasn't been remapped.
    Many thanks for your replies. The engine is standard. The car has moments of really good power, but these are becoming very much more infrequent as time goes on and the limp mode instances are more frequent too. As I said above, I believe that the vacuum system has been tested at the garage, as has the air intake side for leaks. Please could you let me know if there is a check I can do at home to test the vacuum system for leaks or a way I can exercise the turbo actuator using vcds (I can only borrow it a little longer) so I can watch it? Is there a way of monitoring the voltage output from the actuator sensor, (I assume it is a potentiometer) to see whether it is travelling fully (stuck vanes?). Did you see the graph that I posted above before it was removed? It showed that actual boost was not reaching the requested even at low boost requirements. Is there any way in such a complicated set of vacuum pipes that I could eliminate all but the essential boost control line?

0 0 0

8. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silversimpson View Post
    Many thanks for your replies. The engine is standard. The car has moments of really good power, but these are becoming very much more infrequent as time goes on and the limp mode instances are more frequent too. As I said above, I believe that the vacuum system has been tested at the garage, as has the air intake side for leaks. Please could you let me know if there is a check I can do at home to test the vacuum system for leaks or a way I can exercise the turbo actuator using vcds (I can only borrow it a little longer) so I can watch it? Is there a way of monitoring the voltage output from the actuator sensor, (I assume it is a potentiometer) to see whether it is travelling fully (stuck vanes?). Did you see the graph that I posted above before it was removed? It showed that actual boost was not reaching the requested even at low boost requirements. Is there any way in such a complicated set of vacuum pipes that I could eliminate all but the essential boost control line?
    The situation is difficult to test because the ecu knows when the car is stationary and doesn't behave like a car that is driving, so driving faults may not occur with a stationary car. Get someone to start the car while you watch the actuator. It should pull to the maximum position as soon as the engine starts. Let engine idle and watch actuator. It should not drop back.
    Repeat at 2000 rpm (this may not work). Look at vacuum lines for fat connectors. These are one way valves. You could buy some new ones to try. Isolating turbo vacuum pipes is not simple because of system interconnections for egr, anti-shudder flap and brakes. The actuator sensor shouldn't be at fault because ecu is not flagging a fault. I'm not sure of actuator output values but most sensors work 0-5v so it should be possible to measure sensor output with a voltmeter. It is possible that the N75 valve is faulty or have you changed that? This can be faulty but pass a vacuum test if it is only leaking when driving. Your fault is usually due to a leaking vacuum pipe or a hole in the intercooler or associated pipework. I assume you can't hear any air leaks. In rare cases this problem is a faulty turbo but with that fault the ecu doesn't drop into limp because it starts in limp with no boost from start up. If you email me through my web site I can try to send you a vacuum line diagram to see if that helps.

0 0 0

9. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The situation is difficult to test because the ecu knows when the car is stationary and doesn't behave like a car that is driving, so driving faults may not occur with a stationary car. Get someone to start the car while you watch the actuator. It should pull to the maximum position as soon as the engine starts. Let engine idle and watch actuator. It should not drop back.
    Repeat at 2000 rpm (this may not work). Look at vacuum lines for fat connectors. These are one way valves. You could buy some new ones to try. Isolating turbo vacuum pipes is not simple because of system interconnections for egr, anti-shudder flap and brakes. The actuator sensor shouldn't be at fault because ecu is not flagging a fault. I'm not sure of actuator output values but most sensors work 0-5v so it should be possible to measure sensor output with a voltmeter. It is possible that the N75 valve is faulty or have you changed that? This can be faulty but pass a vacuum test if it is only leaking when driving. Your fault is usually due to a leaking vacuum pipe or a hole in the intercooler or associated pipework. I assume you can't hear any air leaks. In rare cases this problem is a faulty turbo but with that fault the ecu doesn't drop into limp because it starts in limp with no boost from start up. If you email me through my web site I can try to send you a vacuum line diagram to see if that helps.
    Please could you send me the vacuum diagram for my car, as there are so many bits to it (I have emailed you). I will change all the one way valves once I have tested the actuator travel, that seems like a good idea. I have already changed the N75 and this did not cure the problem. The garage vacc'd down the turbo actuator using a pump, and that seemed to hold the vacuum and work ok. They also inflated the air intake with an adapter/pressure metery thing/air line and no leaks were evident.

0 0 0

10. Re: P0299 - 006 - Control Range Not Reached - Intermittent B6 Passat 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't worry about the vacuum circuit diagram, I have found it on the web with a bit of creative searching. I have watched the actuator on startup and 2000 revs, and it seemed to move a small distance back and forth. I took the actuator pipe off the N75 and sucked the end to create a vacuum. This made the rod move with some effort, held the vacuum (using the end of my tongue!), and returned smoothly on letting go. Starting at the other end of the vacuum circuit, I disconnected the pipe off the valve supplying the vacuum unit for controlling changeover for the inlet manifold and sucked the pipe, finding no resistance at all. It seems like this was leaking a lot of vacuum from the system. I put the pipe back on the control valve, disconnected the vacuum unit end and blanked it off (well it doesn't work anyhow). Took it for a drive thinking how clever I was... but it slipped into limp mode 10 mins up the road, and didn't have the power to be expected. I found an article that suggested that if this vacuum unit is faulty there can be hesitation when you pull off at a junction for example, and this does seem to happen. I think it controls the flow of air into the inlet manifold. It clearly needs fixing, but I cannot see it solving the under boost problem. Can the only thing left be stuck vanes on the turbo during driving conditions? volkswagen.workshop-manuals.com/golf-mk5/index.php?id=4396 is the address to the vacuum diagram that I came across.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast