1. front right indicator not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I have a Passat TDI highline 2009. The front driver side indicator stopped working, however the bulb is fine (i've switched the left and right and it is ok). other driver side indicators (mirror and rear) work fine. I get the fast tick sound and dashboard faulty indicator light. I had the car serviced yesterday and they suggested it could be a power lead issue. However before bringing it again to mechanic and spend another £200, I wanted to see if the forum can help suggest a less costly solution to the problem.

i've read this thread. Passat indicators not working. One suggested

The indicator relay is part of the hazard light switch,The indicators were,working up to a point,so that suggests the fuse is ok.I have seen it several times,that it is enough to just activate the hazards,and then the indicators,start working again.This suggests a fault with the hazard light switch.There may well be a fault with the stalk,but it is an easy job to replace the relay compared to replacing the stalk
    When i active the hazards, the blinking goes back to normal speed but the front driver indicator light still doesn't work.
    I'm not sure what the stalk is.

Any clue?

0 0 0

2. Re: front right indicator not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manumarchal View Post
    I'm not sure what the stalk is.

Any clue?
    That thing you knock down or up to let others know you're about to turn, that's the stalk.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

3. Re: front right indicator not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    That thing you knock down or up to let others know you're about to turn, that's the stalk.
    of course. i've figured it out from pictures. should have googled it before asking ...

0 0 0

4. Re: front right indicator not working 
    f33nix Guest
    Sam is just blowing off steam, I post like this from time to time

Anyhow you would be better to get a fault code read that may point to a short to Earth from a cut wire. If so then I would check the wire coming from indicator as far back as you can. But without any fault code reading you wont have much in the way of a direction to go in.

1 1 0

5. Re: front right indicator not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f33nix View Post
    Sam is just blowing off steam, I post like this from time to time
    With respect I was doing nothing of the sort, I had assumed I was answering the question posed.

manumarchal - the thread you've read is for the previous model Passat so may not apply here.

Do all the other indicator lights flash normally?

If the issue remains when swapping the bulb from one side to the other, you may have water ingress issues in the indicator housing - check for corrosion on the pins and in the bulb socket.

Has there ever been any accident damage to that end of the car?

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

1 1 0

6. Re: front right indicator not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f33nix View Post
    Anyhow you would be better to get a fault code read that may point to a short to Earth from a cut wire. If so then I would check the wire coming from indicator as far back as you can. But without any fault code reading you wont have much in the way of a direction to go in.
    hum... i'll give it a go to see if the wire is the pb. i was hoping that i didn't have to resort to fault code. Do I have a way to check fault codes without resorting to going to the dealer?

0 0 0

7. Re: front right indicator not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hum... i'll give it a go to see if the wire is the pb. i was hoping that i didn't have to resort to fault code. Do I have a way to check fault codes without resorting to going to the dealer?
    You do!

Have a look here at our map and see if you can find anyone local to scan your car.

VCDS User Location Map

Let me know the names of a few who are close to you and I'll PM them on your behalf (you don't yet have enough posts to PM) and point them towards this thread.

1 1 0

8. Re: front right indicator not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mycarsavw View Post
    With respect I was doing nothing of the sort, I had assumed I was answering the question posed.

Do all the other indicator lights flash normally?

If the issue remains when swapping the bulb from one side to the other, you may have water ingress issues in the indicator housing - check for corrosion on the pins and in the bulb socket.

Has there ever been any accident damage to that end of the car?
    All other indicators work fine.
    never been any accident damage to the end afaik
    issue remains when swapping the bulbs.
    i'll check corrosion now.

0 0 0

9. Re: front right indicator not working 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, root cause identified.

one of the cables was cut back at the junction with the main harness. it could be a rodent's work by the look of it. Now working again after resoldering the cables together.

thanks a lot for all your advices and help. great forum!

1 2 0

10. Re: front right indicator not working 
    f33nix Guest
    Ok, root cause identified.

one of the cables was cut back at the junction with the main harness. it could be a rodent's work by the look of it. Now working again after resoldering the cables together.

thanks a lot for all your advices and help. great forum!
    Nice you came back to report findings.

@Sam, sorry if it seems I got the wrong end of some stick, just had John McEnroe moment in regards to the stalk question and thought you was thinking the same. And you are right it is a weird device that is seldom used on today's roads... mine I use even when I can see no cars around me.

0 0 0