Hi,

My car is a 2002 A3 TDI quattro and I've got a leak at the fuel sender. I've only just bought the car and the other day I filled it up for the first time. I thought that it was taking a lot to fill up when I looked down to find I was standing in about £20 worth of diesel!

On investigation, I found the that the nut/ring holding the fuel sender in place had come off and that allowed fuel to pour out of the top of the tank. I cleaned it up and did up the nut then went for a drive. When I checked again more fuel had collected on top of the tank around the sender. I thought I'd try tightening up the nut/ring but as I did it popped off. I was only using my hands to tighten it but it feels like the thread has gone and it pops off when over tightened.

Does anyone have any experience of anything similar? I'd like to know if replacing the nut/ring would solve it or whether there is likely to be a problem with the thread on top of the tank.

Also, I couldn't disconnect the connector on top of the sender which I would need to do to replace the ring. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove it?

Thanks.