Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all

1999 Alhambra 110 AFN

I was pulling out of junction onto a busy road, had to accelerate hard changed into second gear and heard a loud crack from the front, sounded like something had broke. So I pulled into a layby checked the brakes and the steering, it all felt ok. Decided I would drive her home. I couldn't feel anything wrong the rest of the drive home, only a couple of miles. The steering, brakes etc, felt as usual. I got to the side streets where I live and turning left another loud crack, and now rattling every time I go over speed bumps or uneven ground.
    When I got home I had a look underneath to see if I could see anything hanging off. I noticed that the grease from the passenger side CV joint was all round the inside of my rim. I ordered a new CV joint and replaced it, but the old CV joint seems ok, but to be safe I replaced it anyway. While I had the car up on the axle stands I had a good look underneath to see if I could see what had broken, but I couldn't see anything, I pulled and banged and shook everything I could, but didn't see anything. I started the car and noticed the driverside drive shaft is vibrating quite badly. The car still drives as she did. The loud rattling, its almost a jingling, like loose brake pads but a lot louder, happens over speed bumps and uneven ground, and started after the "Crack". Are there any bolts that are prone to breaking or anything else for that matter. I havn't driven the car bar to the place to work at it, because the crack really sounded like something metal had snapped.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Chips

0 0 0

2. Re: Loud crack, now rattle over uneven ground 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Check for a broken spring.

bloody interweb phone.
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

3. Re: Loud crack, now rattle over uneven ground 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    possible drop links...rattle on sudden impacts and sound horrendous....only a tenner from most auto stores...easy to fit too.

Matt

0 0 0

4. Re: Loud crack, now rattle over uneven ground 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    Thanks for the replies

Changed the droplinks, no difference. I had replaced all the suspension arms last year, so I know what the noises are like. I had a good look round the arms, all the bushes are ok. I used my breaker bar to get some leverage on them, also cheked exhaust, top mounts, springs, and all the bolts in the engine/gearbox mounts. It seems as though its the coming from the gearbox, so to rule out driveshafts I swapped out mine with my brothers who owns Alhambra also, this made no difference. I have no trouble selecting gears, so could it's the diff ? its the ony thing left.

Cheers for the help

Chips

0 0 0

5. Re: Loud crack, now rattle over uneven ground 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are the CV joints ok? As it only happens over rough ground I wouldn't think it's the diff

1 0 0

6. Re: Loud crack, now rattle over uneven ground 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the reply
    Going be a couple of days before I get another chance to have a look, but I'll let you know how I get on.

Chips

0 0 0

7. Re: Loud crack, now rattle over uneven ground 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    antiroll bar itself?
    2001 Passat estate Sport tdi 130hp