1. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    No, old audi shocks are better than Chinese new ones, As long as yours don’t leak oil.
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

0 0 0

2. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks have ordered a pair of springs. Very few uk sellers on ebay.

0 0 0

3. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Just to add that I found this YouTube video very helpful for replacing one of the front airsprings: Replacing Air Springs on the Audi allroad - Project allroad - YouTube

In my case, though, it turned out to be quite impossible to remove the pinch bolt described at 2m36. The k-nut would undo fine but the bolt would not shift. It was nevertheless possible to do the job by removing the top plate from the wing and then undoing the bolts through the bushes at the inner edge of the control arms, so the arms stay on the car. It's a little fiddly to line up the top plate to the three bolt holes on the wing when reassembling but certainly doable.

Thanks to bagpipingandy for being very helpful as usual - we had got to discussing measurements of a corner that seemed to be the one sinking when it took a turn for the worse and started hissing making the leaking airpsring really obvious.

0 0 0

4. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    That top bolt is always evil, even the official special tool won't shift a bad one so the only way is heat which kills the joints. It is even worse on the later platforms with the ally upright, the special tool is hopeless, £1k spent for it just to pull the bolts head off! You also have to be very careful with heat as you can change the state of the ally so when you tighten the new bolt up, the ally cracks so we use a 2.5kw induction heater to expand then cool and expand again a number of times until the bolt can be spun with an air gun.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Let me guess, the bolt and the pins on the two ball joints are steel parts so there is electrolytic corrosion between the two metals. I was talking to a local garage that had likewise found one of these impossible to undo.

I have just done the other side and went for the same option as last time of removing the top plate. When I came to reassemble it, the top plate was, at first, impossible to get back into place until I had the idea to remove the bolt through the U shape at the lower end of the shock and allow that to move outwards slightly, though still astride the control arm. At that point the top plate went into place really easily. I also had a scissor jack from an old Mercedes that I could wind with a small electric impact wrench to I could raise the suspension with that while guiding the top plate onto the locating pin. Then I was able to fit the bolts from above without needing hands in two places at once. After that the bolt through the bottom of the shock went in easily.

The job did start with a slight complication, though. The car was too low to the ground to get a trolley jack in so I tried using the manufacturer supplied jack to lift it just a little so I could get the trolley jack in. The jack was correctly placed and on firm ground but I had only raised the car about 3cm when the jack collapsed. On inspection the jack has a steel thread going through a nylon block and the thread on the nylon block had stripped. Here's a picture:

IMG_0712.jpg

Of course, I didn't have any part of me under the car at the time and, as the road wheel was still on, the only thing damaged was the jack.

0 0 0

6. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes, 10.9 grade steel bolt with a token Dacromet type coating in an ally hub placed directly inline with a deluge of salt water for 10 years and then some poor grease money like me is supposed to be able to just remove the bolt…
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132