1. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    So in order to avoid the kink in the pipe where it goes through the wall of the spare wheel well I replaced the rubber pipe from the compressor to that canister with a slightly longer piece. I also noticed that according to the pictures on the bagpipingandy website, the compressor model I have is labelled as "Mercedes". That might explain the slightly strange routing of this rubber pipe, i.e. it connects to the right hand side of the compressor (as fitted to the car) and then has to go back past the compressor to get to the canister which ultimately links to the spare wheel well.

The other thing that surprised me slightly is that since finding this pipe and reconnecting it, the time to raise between levels has improved still further. I haven't got round to timing it, but subjectively it is faster than the 1m I had previously. This makes me wonder where the air tank fits into the system. In the boot, behind the cover on the left hand side, with the toolkit and CD player, there is an air tank which I had always assumed was there to avoid dumping air out of the system and then having to add it back in for even small adjustments. But where does this fit in the system? Is it connected to the valve block so air can be transferred between the tank and the air bags directly bypassing the compressor or is this where the pipe from the compressor to the spare wheel well goes. If the latter, that would mean the system would be working without the tank and therefore making more work for the compressor.

The only schematic diagram I could find seems to be for a slightly different model that does not have a tank.

What I did find in looking, though, is that regeneration of the crystals in the drier seems to be a case of simply directing air that is leaving the system back through the dryer. As it expands its capacity for carrying moisture increases and it absorbs moisture from the crystals. That suggests that if air is leaking out of the system elsewhere the regeneration of the drying will be impaired.

0 0 0

2. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Hope this helps
    Attached Images
    Last edited by amiram; 05-11-2019 at 05:58 AM.

0 0 0

3. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks, amiram.

After a bit of digging I also found these, which describe the whole system:

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_242.pdf
    http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_243.pdf

The interesting details for the allroad are in the second one, SPP_243, but it refers back to SPP_242. Of course, like any resource on the Internet I don't know how long it will be there so it may be useful to download them just in case. The site concerned has lots of useful stuff - see the index at:

VolksPage.Net - Technik - SSP - Self Study Program - VAG - 201 to 300

0 0 0

4. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum and I own a 53 plate Audi A6 Allroad Quattro Estate 2.5 tdi. The air suspension has an intermittent fault.
    Some days all is fine, then I might come out and find her sitting very squat. Some days, from this position I turn on the engine, press the up arrow to 3 green lights and the yellow light on the rev counter blinks and up she comes. In this condition I can get her right up to 3 greens and a yellow.

Tonight, while I could hear the compressor running (did sound a little odd, but I did have my hearing aids in and they are new) 120 seconds and the yellow rev counter light went solid on and that was it.

Other times I can get this problem, I turn the ignition off and on again and all seems well, but in the last couple of days this hasn't happened.

Amendment 1 to this message: Also, my Audi is an estate. Is my compressor in the right hand side of the tailgate area behind the trim? I note from a previous post that the compressor is normally forward of the spare wheel. I will look today but I was just wondering.

Any ideas please?
    Steve
    Last edited by deeeeps; 06-07-2019 at 07:20 AM.

0 0 0

5. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deeeeps View Post
    Hi,
    Other times I can get this problem, I turn the ignition off and on again and all seems well, but in the last couple of days this hasn't happened.
    I have not had a case where turning the ignition off and back on didn't cause the suspension to get up to the set level and the light in the revcounter to stay off.

I repaired the compressor with bagpipingandy's kit when it would not reliably get to level within the 120 allowed, i.e. when the light would sometimes come on.

It could happen that you'd need to do the turn the ignition off and on trick more than once but the compressor would have to be very badly worn for that, or else working against a leak.

Try leaving it on level one, put it in jacking mode, measure wheel arch to wheel centre (or to ground) leave it overnight and measure again in the morning. This checks if any of the bags are leaking and, if so, should tell you which one.

Amendment 1 to this message: Also, my Audi is an estate. Is my compressor in the right hand side of the tailgate area behind the trim? I note from a previous post that the compressor is normally forward of the spare wheel. I will look today but I was just wondering.
    Mine is an estate and the compressor is in front of the spare wheel well. I could justvabout get under there with the wheelsbon the ground, though I put a pair of stands under just in case.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

6. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thank you very much for your comprehensive and timely reply. I will certainly do the jacking mode and see what happens. I suspect I have two problems: the compressor is worn out and that the nearside front spring is leaking. I will have a good look at this, but will probably get the guy who looks after my car to sort it out (I am 65 with an iffy back.)
    Thank you again, most appreciated.
    Regards
    Steve

0 0 0

7. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I am really grateful for this highly fruitful vine of information. Since my compressor is making odd noises I thought it prudent to go for a new one. I did a bit of a google and came across Aerosus, so I sent this message using their website contact page:
    VIN: WAUZZZ4B54N011126
    Comment: Trying to identify the correct suspension compressor for my 2003 Audi A6 Allroad Quattro Estate 2.5 tdi please.
    They came back within what seemed like minutes with this

Item Qty Price
    Audi A6 C5 4B Allroad Air Suspension Compressor/DryerSku: 163155 1
    Excl. VAT
    £209.24
    Incl. VAT
    £249.00

I guess had I searched further I might have found one at a lower price, but when a company is efficient enough to respond quickly
    and offer free delivery to the Isle of Wight, I decided just to go with it. The car and new compressor are in to the guy who looks after her
    for me next Thursday. In my view, this is the first part of an ongoing story, where I probably replace the two front struts as well.
    I am not too bothered; the car is beautiful and lovely to drive. More importantly my beautiful lady loves her so I guess we are happy to invest a bit
    in her to keep her on the road.
    Thanks again for all the advice.

0 1 0

8. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphitryon View Post
    OSF: 395mm, NSF, 393mm, OSR 405mm, NSR 405mm.
    So after a period of working correctly the suspension is playing up again with the usual symtom being that it take too long to lift from one level to another such that it sometimes gives up and lights the warning light on the rev counter.

I am repeating doing a measurement in jacking mode and I have just got these measurements, wheel arch to ground this time with the tape measure going through the wheel centre as judged by eye.

OSF 703mm, NSF 703mm, OSR 735, NSR 735

Assuming I don't have to use the car before tomorrow, I will check again then to see if any of the corners has dropped. What did strike me as strange, though, was the difference front to back. Last time the back wheel arch was higher by about 10mm whereas this time it is higher by 30mm. I suspect in this case the back is at level three and the front is at level two. I am intrigued as to why it has done this. If the system fails to raise to a given level wouldn't it lower the level of the other wheels to the level of the lowest one?

0 0 0

9. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Well this is a strange development. Measuring this morning at about noon I got:

OSF 698, NSF 699, OSR 728, NSR 732

So the whole car seems to have gone down about 5mm. This was in jacking mode, though, so the system should not be lowering the other wheels to match a leaking one. I wonder if this is just due to a difference in air temperature/pressure. I'll try another overnight measurement to be sure.

Another strange thing I have spotted is that, after a period of working fine, the suspension now seems to struggle more if it has been raining. Is it that damp air is harder to compress?

0 0 0

10. Re: Allroad Air Suspension Problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Hope this helps. for better knowing the air spring system Google for SSP243 - SSP242
    Attached Images

0 0 0

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast