Notices

User Tag List

Thread: How to replace broken bonnet/hood release handle.

1. How to replace broken bonnet/hood release handle. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Apologies if this has been answered but I've tried searching the Golf Mk5 forum.

The Handle used to open the bonnet is attached to a dial/wheel. this dial/wheel has an attachment used to hold the end of the bonnet release cable in place. When the handle is pulled the dial rotates and the cable is pulled and the bonnet opens.

I've broken the attachment on this dial/wheel so I'm going to have to do a bit of DIY and attach a string to the end of the cable (it has a ball bearing at the end), until I get a replacement handle.

I'm hoping to buy the part and fix myself. Can anyone tell me where I can buy the required parts (handle and dial/wheel). I've tried ebay but nothing there.

Also can anyone tell me how I would go about replacing this. I can get the handle off and can take the panel off to get at the cable but the dial/wheel seems to be attached to a box - do I need to replace this entire box?

Any help is appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: How to replace broken bonnet/hood release handle. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to update on this: The dial/wheel is part of a complete fixture fixed to the car frame with two screws. I was able to take that off and get at the cable.
    The cable is attached to this fixture simply by being pushed up into position. It can be removed by pushing down (if the end of the cable is broken from the wheel like mine is).
    It seems that the latch under the bonnet has ceased because the bonnet won't open by pulling the cable alone. To open the bonnet I need one person to press down on the bonnet above the latch while another person pulls the cable. The person pressing down on the bonnet can then let go and the bonnet should move to the popped position.
    I've tried oiling the latch but can see rust in some parts.

As well as the broken handle I think I'll need to replace the latch. hopefully this isn't a difficult task.

I've now noticed that the cable inside the car is extending much further into the car. So I guess I've displaced it from clips somewhere up behind the dashboard - Does anyone know if the cable is indeed clipped into place on its way to the engine area?
    In relation to finding the handle part somewhere I've only found an item on eBay for sale in the US, which is of course for a left-hand drive car so is the wrong fitting. I've tried local car-breaker yards but they have nothing. I'll give the local VW dealer a call and hopefully I don't get ripped off too much!

0 0 0

3. Re: How to replace broken bonnet/hood release handle. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A cable is cheap enough from a dealer. You may have moved the grommet in the bulkhead that seals the cable from the engine compartment. An American car will likely have the same cable but you'll wait 2 weeks and pay a fortune for it. Take the mechanism off and clean it, soak it overnight in paraffin or diesel then clean it with a wire brush. Use spray on white grease to lubricate it oil or wd40 won't do

0 0 0

4. Re: How to replace broken bonnet/hood release handle. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctle Odd View Post
    A cable is cheap enough from a dealer. You may have moved the grommet in the bulkhead that seals the cable from the engine compartment. An American car will likely have the same cable but you'll wait 2 weeks and pay a fortune for it. Take the mechanism off and clean it, soak it overnight in paraffin or diesel then clean it with a wire brush. Use spray on white grease to lubricate it oil or wd40 won't do
    Thanks Doctle. Ill give the latch an overnight bath in diesel and see how I get on. The parts department in the local VW garage weren't answering their phones so will have to try them again tomorrow.

0 0 0

5. Re: How to replace broken bonnet/hood release handle. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

0 0 1

6. Re: How to replace broken bonnet/hood release handle. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks. I spotted that on another thread. A very informative link. I'll definitely be making use of that to keep me right when removing the latch.

0 0 0

7. Re: How to replace broken bonnet/hood release handle. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Problem Sorted!!!

And all it cost was £2.72 for a new bracket from the local VW dealer!!! Money well spent!!!

The issue was just as you suggeted Doctle - a stiff latch. I was able to get it going again without removing from the bonnet....

After disassembling the handle and bracket and leaving the cable hanging inside the car I was able to open the bonnet using the claw of a hammer to grasp the end of the cable inside the car, it took a good bit of tension while at the same time I had someone press down on the bonnet right above the latch.

Once the bonnet was open I was able to play with the latch mechaninst. There is a black clip in the centre of the latch and two silver metal springs on either side. The black clip will be in the vertical position when the bonnet is open and the silver springs will be in horizontal position.

To recreate the issue with the bonnet open...
    I was able to simulate the locked position by pushing a screw driver down the back of the clip and moving it to the locked position. Then to open once more I could pull on the cable using the claw of a hammer again and at the same time the other person can press down on the head of the closed clip (as that will simulate the pressing down on the bonnet if it was closed).

To get the latch going again...
    Being able to recreate in this way meant I could the clean out the latch as much as I could even when it's in the locked position. I used WD40 to get rid of as much grime in and around the latch as I could.

Then went through the open/close process (wihtout actually closing the bonnet) many times (approx 20). Applying more WD40 as we went along. The latch gradually got easier to release and eventually it wasn't necessary to press down on the clip with the screw driver.

It was still pretty tight to open with the handle once I fitted the new bracket and used the handle to open the bonent rather than the claw of the hammer. So I took it off again and went back to using the claw and then greased the latch up (especially when the clip is in the locked position - you can get down in the back of it with WD40 and grease).
    After a number of times the clip got easier to open so the bracket and handle was put back on. This time the handle worked better than ever before!!

The price of genuine parts..
    I had priced the parts in the VW garage in case anyone is interested.

Handle : £11
    Bracket for handle : £2.72
    Latch : £43

Its definitely worth spending some time in getting the old latch going before you go out and spend the money on a new one.

Doctle - Thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.

1 0 0

8. Re: How to replace broken bonnet/hood release handle. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't forget to buy some white spray on grease!

0 0 0

9. Re: How to replace broken bonnet/hood release handle. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glad to hear you got it sorted. This is a really common problem. If anyone with a Mk V finds their car's bonnet release lever hard to operate, don't wait and end up breaking the release lever.

I tried cleaning the rusted bonnet latch but it didn't last a year (see Stuart Dalby - 2005 Volkswagen Golf Mk 5 - Sticking Bonnet). When I found out that a brand new bonnet latch from my VW dealer would only cost around £30 (I got a little discount) and how easy it was to fit (so long as the bonnet was not stuck in the down position), it was an easy job. Not had a problem since.

Stuart
    Stuart Dalby - 2005 Volkswagen Golf Mk 5

0 0 0