Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Help needed from all audi owners.
    I have Audi A4 1.9tdise, 2000....milage 185K miles.
    lately It has started giving vibration at 70mph. (seem to be coming from front ) I know the first thing you will say is wheel balancing......yes I did that...more over I bought new tyres as wel and had them balanced........it still did it.....then I bought 2 more new tyres thinnking it might be the new tyres.....still doing it.
    showed to mechanic he replaced one or two front arms to make some money out of me (I bought the parts from GSF).but its still doing it. Name and shame time...its a mechanic on oxford road in Reading, berks, just by the HSS tool hire. AVOID AT ALL COSTS........he didnt even know which bolts to take out to take the bushes out.....I had to tell him....wasn't a rocket science, even a blind w'd see it.

anyone of you had this problem....experience.....please help......if I take it to main Audi *******......oops typo.....dealer......their bill......well doctors have told me not to hear shocking news.....not good for my weak heart.

looking forward to your valuable suggestions,
    regards,
    j

0 0 0

2. Re: vibration at 70mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    did you have your rear wheels balanced too? very often vibration from the back can resonate down the chassis and sound like it's coming form the front.

0 0 0

3. Re: vibration at 70mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi AF,

I have a similair problem but with a Golf MK3 TDi.

My steering wheel was shaking at various speeds (!?). ~50MPH and ~70MPH. Thinking that this was a balancing issue, I had the wheels balanced several times at different places.

I was very disappointed with the service, lack of interest and knowledge of various tyre mechanics, when I explained that the balancing was having no effect.

In order to solve, I replaced the front tyres and put on some refurbished spare wheels, and rebalanced. This helped alot.

The 50MPH vibration stoppped, but the 70 MPH vibration continued. However, I now noticed that the 70 MPH was not directly throught the steering wheel, but transmitted indirectly through the whole car vibrating.

I shall try and update this thread, with the results of any work performned.
    As per BrightSide's advice, I am going to get the back wheels rebalanced, and perhaps tyres changed.

I am considering the following possibilities;
    • Balancing rear wheels and changing tyres (as described above)
    • Checking that my rear wheels aren't buckled/distorted (observing the wheel and tyre for rotation anomolies while it is being balanced)
    • Swapping front and rear tyres
    • Rear stub axle bent/damaged
    • Rear beam axle bush requiring replacement (I know this needs to be replaced, in the near future).
    For yourself, swapping front and rear wheels could be the easiest means of eliminating the rear wheels/tyres as the vibration source, since if these were the source, steering wheel vibration would immediately be markedly pronounced.

Also try and observe the balancing procedure, to check for any distortion of your wheels.

0 0 0

4. Re: vibration at 70mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When i bought my audi i had the exact same problem vibration at 60mph and above it is not the front wheels.............. my rear drivers side wheel had lost 1x weight off the wheel and it was causing massive movement which traveled through to the front. i assumed at first front end problems but it was just that one wheel where the weights were knackered. got that repaired and now it smooth all way at any speed..........

0 0 0

5. Re: vibration at 70mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thankyou all who contributed valuable suggestions.
    I will have my rear wheels balanced first.
    If it didnt help then I'll swap the front wheels with rear ones.
    I'll post here on the weekend whatever the outcome. may be helpful to anyone who might experience the same.

0 0 0

6. Re: vibration at 70mph 
    paul20v Guest
    hi check the run out on your discs also see if you have a slight brake bind this will cause a vibration has the disc heats up

0 0 0

7. Re: vibration at 70mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    UPDATE:
    I had the rear wheels balanced (£10) but the problem still remains.
    still vibrating from 70mph to 80mph.
    I'll swap front wheels with rear ones next and post again.
    YES the rear Discs are quite rusted, dont know how much rust is ok? pads are ok though.
    If it comes down to discs, can I chnage them my self or is it rocket science?

0 0 0

8. Re: vibration at 70mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it could also be that your may have buckled wheel

0 0 0

9. Re: vibration at 70mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could it be a duff shock absorber?

0 0 0

10. Re: vibration at 70mph 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the best way to see if it,s a duff shoock is to bounce the front when at stand still if bounces once and settles its ok but if bounces more then that it the shocks

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast